Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do i display names in my POI files ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i display names in my POI files ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: How do i display names in my POI files ? Reply with quote

Hi folks...
I have recently created a POI for all my customer calls as im still finding my way around the area.
Ive created a list in Excel which I then imported into Autoroute to create a pushpin map, then converted it to an OV2 file which is now saved on the tomtom and works fine.
However, it only shows the mileage to each POI and displays it with a POI number. I actually wanted it to show the name of the customer so I know who I am navigating to.
Is this possible ?
If so, how ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Steve
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end result OV2 file needs the name to be included before it's created. I am NOT an expert (having only learned today how to do something of this nature!!), but each customer OV2 detail needs to look something like this ...

-1.12345, 51.12345, "Customer 123 Joe Bloggs".

That's perhaps not every detail you want (I gather some POIs include phone numbers etc), but it's how I ended up - I use Lotus 123 instead of Excel, saved as CSV file, which I then imported to Autoroute successfully. This morning, Oldboy from this site pointed me to his website where I was able to download program Makeov2 which converted the CSV file to OV2 for me dead easy. He's clever.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rupertx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis...
Many thanks.
Yes, that is pretty much what I imported into Autoroute to create my pushpin map. However, I used postal codes instead of lat & long details.

My detail looks something like this.........

AB71 3DY - Aberdeen paint supplies - 14 Union Street - Aberdeen

I then imported this into autoroute, created and saved my pushpin map then converted it to an OV2 file which I then saved in my map folder.

It works fine on my Tomtom but it only lists the customers as POI 125 etc etc not by name.

Ive obviously missed something and its probably really simple but I dont know what ????
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting out of my depth here. I just know what I read - that the OV2 is a simple text file (not true - Notepad won't open it sensibly!!) with lines looking like this ...
-1.12345, 51.12345, "bloggs"
-2.12345, 52.12345, "cloggs"
for each individual POI within a POI set.

So I created a spreadsheet with the above in three columns (bloggs didn't need quotation marks as the file save as inserted them somehow), then File, Save as, Customers.CSV. I also created a Customers.BMP file (picture 22 x 22 pixels) to serve as their icon.
Downloaded Makeov2.zip from Oldboy's website (top left) unzipped it, then dragged the CSV file and dropped it on the Makeov2.exe filename (using Win Explorer) and it magically created the Customers.OV2 file. When I copied the OV2 and .BMP files into my map folder, they worked like they couldn't believe what I was panicking about!!

Can't harm to give it a try yourself with your existing spreadsheet? Use Tools, Location Sensor in Autoroute to pick out the Long/Lat for a few customers, then do as I did with a small spreadsheet just to see if it works for you.
You'd start with something like ...
-2.09968, 57.14564, Aberdeen Paint Supplies

This is the best I can offer I'm afraid. It worked for me and I fancy the only problem you've got is getting the Long/Lat for your calls.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertx wrote:
My detail looks something like this.........

AB71 3DY - Aberdeen paint supplies - 14 Union Street - Aberdeen

I then imported this into autoroute, created and saved my pushpin map then converted it to an OV2 file which I then saved in my map folder.

When you import it into AR you would have to select AB71 3DY as a Postcode column and the Aberdeen paint supplies as the Name column.

You would need a comma between the Postcode and the Name to give it another column.

Be aware that a lot of Postcodes may not be recognised and they can get lumped together. In AR2005 this tends to be just outside Lancaster. Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curses!! He's given us a make-believe name and address (I think) - Union Street Aberdeen is AB10 and AB11. And according to 192.com there's no such company as Aberdeen Paint Supplies. I 'spect he's a rep for Ginsters Melton Mowbray Pork Pies!!

Anyway, Richard, how about me for plain cheek? You've only just given me a start on this OV2 making business this morning and here I am leading some poor soul up the garden path already. There's no accounting for the nerve of pensioners is there? Twisted Evil

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
There's no accounting for the nerve of pensioners is there? Twisted Evil
Advice from one to another: if you keep kicking your feet against rocks, learn to lift your feet. ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to your obvious seniority in years, OldChum, the correct proverb to be quoting is ...

"Never throw an old dog more than eight times at a rolling greenhouse". :|

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: