Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux GPS 240 data backup battery.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux GPS 240 data backup battery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Holux GPS 240 data backup battery. Reply with quote

I wonder if anybody can help with this please?

I leave my GPS receiver permanently in the car with the hardware switch set to on.

With the GPS 236 there wasn't a problem as I could remove the main battery and the backup cell on the PCB would maintain the data.

I now have a GPS 240 and it appears that I cannot remove the battery.

Therefore, it stays on when I switch the ignition off and the battery discharges overnight.

My problem is that it then seems to want to spend 20 minutes re-gaining data.

So, does anybody know if the GPS 240 has a backup battery please?

If not, I'll have to arrange for a permanet 12 volt feed to it, in which case, does anybody know the current consumption please?

I'd hate for it to discharge my car battery

Thanks for any help.

Paul
nemogps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would feel ok with a hardwired connection that bypasses the ignition switch. The current draw is 75-85 mA according to the manual. This would take some weeks or even months to drain a car battery. I guess I didn't realize that the GPSlim 240 receivers don't have an automatic shut off when they lose the bluetooth connection for a few minutes. I know some other makers include that and I thought by now everyone would be doing it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the 85mA figure if left powered for 24 hours it will have consumed 2AHr out of the batteries capacity, have a look at the ident plate on your car battery it will have a figure in XXAHr (where XX is a number).

Once you have the figure halve it and that is how many days your GPS will remain powered from the battery - please note below a certain level there will be insufficiant power remaining within the battery to start the car.

If using the car daily you will be fine, but I wouldn't leave the GPS powered up if going away for a week or more, the chances are the car won't start after a week, unless you have a huge battery fitted - Mike
nemogps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Using the 85mA figure if left powered for 24 hours it will have consumed 2AHr out of the batteries capacity, have a look at the ident plate on your car battery it will have a figure in XXAHr (where XX is a number).

Once you have the figure halve it and that is how many days your GPS will remain powered from the battery - please note below a certain level there will be insufficiant power remaining within the battery to start the car.

If using the car daily you will be fine, but I wouldn't leave the GPS powered up if going away for a week or more, the chances are the car won't start after a week, unless you have a huge battery fitted - Mike

I think your analysis is a bit pessimistic. A typical battery in a smaller care like a Honda has 100 minutes of reserve capacity at 25 Amps, which is over 40 AHr or 20 days. At lower currents it improves. So you should feel comfortable letting your car set for a week or two unless you have comparable power drains from other accessories. I know the clock, radio and possibly other gear uses a small amount of current to power backup memory. But this really should be low milliAmps and not be important. It is easy enough to measure.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some real world results, I have a 236 in the other half's BM and a 240 in my car. Both are wired discretely, permanantly on and have been left at airports for over a week with no starting problems on return.

I opted for the 'permanantly on' approach because I got fed up of waiting to get a signal in central London which can take an age unless you have it on the dash. I avoid the dash as I have hopped out on a phone call a few times and left it there which is barmy I know.

My car is new but the BMW is a 98 523 touring which we've had for 4 years and we've never changed the battery so it must be a bit weary by now. Still no problems.

Out if interest, are some cars clever enough to switch off accessory circuits when power drops below a point? The BMW does all sorts of wierdery with the air suspension, lights and so on with the engine off so would assume there is some way of prioritising power for startup over gizmos?
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: