Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Accurate GPS receivers for boundary mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Accurate GPS receivers for boundary mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomadros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Accurate GPS receivers for boundary mapping Reply with quote

Hi..Apolgies for what may be a dumb newbie question but... I've bought some properties in the middle of nowhere in Northern Spain and I need to map out the boundaries accurately. All the properties are large but the boundaries are hidden in dense bush, forests or your typical snake infested wilderness. I therefore need something that'll position me accurately, but I'm toiling with keywords for searches. Most stuff, I've looked at seems happy telling me where I'm going rather than where I am (exactly). Can anyone give me keywords or point me at some lists of products or reviews? My wish list is.... I stand still and the thing tells me that I'm at X by Y within a metre or so. Hope this is possible and any help would be appreciated.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

You won't get a definitive position to "within 1 metre" from consumer units, particularly not in "dense bush, forests" where many will struggle to give you a steady fix at all.

There are plenty of things that will tell you with good probability where you are to about 5 metres, if you keep still for a bit and they have a good fix, which is perfectly adequate for most leisure uses. For your conditions I'd expect anything using the Sirf III chipset to tend to get and hold a fix better than other older ones.

Look at handheld GPS units e.g. from Garmin or Magellan, or at the wide variety of free to expensive GPS utilities or topographic software products available for your PC, PDAs Pocket PC etc. (which will need to be connected to a GPS receiver, of course, to give your position).

You will be swamped with options, so one search term that might help you narrow it down to your needs is "GPS averaging" or "waypoint averaging" which is based on the principle that lots of approximate position readings can be averaged out to give a better one. This will lead you to products that have it built in, or to free utilities such as those from VisualGPS.

Good luck with the snakes!
nomadros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Barry...I was really toiling with this as the newest receivers seem to gain better accuracy from a mix of more channels and cell masts (and guess what, no cell masts anywhere near where I am). I'll see if I can find something at around 5 meters accuracy as that'll give me a chance of finding any boundary walls in the undergrowth. This 15 meter accuracy business is just no use to me.

Anyway, have been looking at the magellan stuff which comes with barometric altimeters which I need as I have to pump water up a few hundred meters from my well head, so height is important too.

And I appreciate the keywords to help drown out the noise.

BTW, the snakes are the least of my problems. I was up at one site the other day as saw cat prints the size of my palm. I got hold of a hefty branch at that point and have decided to get BIG DOGS and join the gun club! They tell me in the local village that someone let a panther loose. Could be rubbish, but the prints were too big for a lynx!

Hey ho!

Thanks again
Neil
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want something like this:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cx/

It has the new SiRF III receiver which gives very good reception in difficult areas (under very dense trees etc). It doesn't come with street maps and they may be an expensive add on too.

The Garmin Quest is also a good all round GPS unit (not quite as good reception as the SiRF III GPS units) and you can use it off road as well as for street navigation.

You can download the tracks from the Garmin unit and view them in other applications, including Google Earth.

Good luck!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for accuracy, most GPS units support WAAS (Also known as EGNOS in Europe) and you should be able to get accuracy down to a few meters with a reasonably clear view of the sky.

You can get very accurate fixes (better than 1 meter) using survey grade GPS units but they are well expensive....
nomadros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
As for accuracy, most GPS units support WAAS (Also known as EGNOS in Europe) and you should be able to get accuracy down to a few meters with a reasonably clear view of the sky.

You can get very accurate fixes (better than 1 meter) using survey grade GPS units but they are well expensive....

Thanks guys, I'm now on track as it were. Mapping grade, survey grade and all that. As the cost is up at £5K or greater I think I'll just get a professional in who's already got the kit....

...and I'll make sure I give him a big stick!! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: