Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - can anyone advise before updating
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

can anyone advise before updating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: can anyone advise before updating Reply with quote

Hi guys

Yet again im opening another thread to try and get some feedback as ive looked through the past posts about the MioMap updater and its problems.

Does anyone know if this has been rectified, no bugs etc?

What is the difference between Miomap v3 compared to those of the older versions, i think i have the version when i got mine back in august last year?

Can anyone give me what vital changes are made in the updates?

What problems will i occur if i update my current older version of MioMap to the latest?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: can anyone advise before updating Reply with quote

anarchyuk wrote:
Hi guys

Yet again im opening another thread to try and get some feedback as ive looked through the past posts about the MioMap updater and its problems.

Does anyone know if this has been rectified, no bugs etc?

What is the difference between Miomap v3 compared to those of the older versions, i think i have the version when i got mine back in august last year?

Can anyone give me what vital changes are made in the updates?

What problems will i occur if i update my current older version of MioMap to the latest?

Problems can present themselves but almost all of them can be solved after the fact if you post for help here. Worst case scenario: reinstall using the supplied disk. An upgrade shouldn't nuke the Windows installation on the device.

The main problem used to rest in the fact that the 3.2 updater didn't automatically install the GB mapping postcode file. This meant that you couldn't access full postcode searching. It was simple enough to install the file manually with Mio Transfer hack however. With advice it wasn't really a problem. I don't know if Mitac has solved the problem - I haven't done a virgin 3.1 to latest 3.2 upgrade. But if you do have a problem with full postcode searching it should be possible to solve it simply by posting for advice here.

Quite a few changes are made in the 3.2 update. Most of them are very good. Voice directions are really so much better (more sensible and more clearly matched to the visual map), map routing has improved, software crashing has improved and TMC detail has improved a lot. The software feels a lot more stable than it was (even with earlier versions of 3.2). Speed warnings are less buggy (in terms of mph alert thresholds). There are other minor improvements also.

The big downside is that the TMC provider seems to have changed to ITIS from Trafficmaster. ITIS provides very good data - probably as good as Trafficmaster and in some ways probably better. The problem is that the Mio now seems to be locked to Classic FM (the ITIS transmission station). Coverage in general isn't as good as with the Trafficmaster range of stations - I can't receive TMC on my way to work anymore whereas previously I was able to. It may be a major problem or not a problem at all depending on where you live.

I think, but can't say for sure, that if you do upgrade to 3.2 and have TMC problems you can always downgrade to 3.1 and continue to receive Trafficmaster. But this is an assumption - I haven't tried to downgrade so I don't know if a downgrade will restore (what seemed to be) Trafficmaster.

Anyway, aside from TMC issues the latest version of 3.2 is a huge improvement on 3.1 in terms of voice directions and routing. 3.1 is actually quite embarrassing by comparison and is, to be honest, a pretty bad advert for the Mio. Just my humble opinion.

Gareth.
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone out there does have an idea whether or not Mio have sorted the problem out regarding the postcode function after updating MioMap, please let me know asap.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: