Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FAT32 or NTFS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FAT32 or NTFS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: FAT32 or NTFS Reply with quote

I will soon be buying a new ds card for my RAC SatNav 100 so that I have bigger memory and can download speedcam database and more poi's. The current sd card is FAT32 format, should I format me new card as FAT32, or will it operate better formated as NTFS?

Tks

Steve
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say leave it the same
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it as it comes. If you do want to reformat it then use Panasonic SDFormatter, a free download.
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: tks Reply with quote

tks for the info

Steve
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to get a new, bigger SD card, get a "FAST READ", or whatever its called. When I bought my bigger card, I bought a normal one, and when the speed camera icons are displayed, and the alerts are on, the sat nav runs slow, it says "TAKE THE NEXT TURNING ON THE RIGHT", JUST AS i HAVE GONE PAST THE TURNING, so I have to turn the icons off and just have the audible alerts on. When I get round to it, I will copy my SD card again onto a faster card.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought memory cards had to be formatted at fat16, I have just checked the properties of my sd and the memory card just shows Fat wereas a second hdd i have shows Fat32 correctly, I have not seen any different information and I am quite happy to be corrected if neccesary
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter whether you use FAT16 or FAT32 on an SD card. What may matter, depending upon how you use the card, is the cluster size. A few years ago when using TomTom 3 on an iPaq I found that larger cluster sizes dramatically improved the performance of the application. To-day, with more, larger and faster SD cards, I either format a card in the device in which it will be used, or use SDFormatter which formats it according to agreed SD card standards.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
If you are going to get a new, bigger SD card, get a "FAST READ", or whatever its called. When I bought my bigger card, I bought a normal one, and when the speed camera icons are displayed, and the alerts are on, the sat nav runs slow, it says "TAKE THE NEXT TURNING ON THE RIGHT", JUST AS i HAVE GONE PAST THE TURNING, so I have to turn the icons off and just have the audible alerts on. When I get round to it, I will copy my SD card again onto a faster card.

You may end up being slightly disappointed. The 'high speed' cards are generally high speed for writing, which is not required for this sort of application. The read speed may well be faster than the early cards but not by a huge factor. Most PDA's (and all-in-one satnav systems) have an internal transfer rate below what most cards can support. What you are probably seeing is the affect of having a large number of POIs visible - along with the proximity detection. This takes quite a bit of processing power.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing quick search on internet, It would appear that some cards may not accept Fat32 some will. and from a personal experience I upgraded from a standard 2gb to a unknown x133 2gb card on my Mio168 and did find it was better and slightly quicker specifically it stopped Sharon Stuttering, perhaps reducing POIs may have helped also who knows, Probably case of "you pays your money then see"
nomadros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FAT32 or NTFS Reply with quote

stevest220 wrote:
I will soon be buying a new ds card for my RAC SatNav 100 so that I have bigger memory and can download speedcam database and more poi's. The current sd card is FAT32 format, should I format me new card as FAT32, or will it operate better formated as NTFS?

Tks

Steve

NTFS is only really for file security on your drive (card), so unless you have your card networked 8O FAT'll be fine.
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Once again tks Reply with quote

Once again

Tks for all you help

I think I will get a 2gb card with a speed of x133. I will carefully choose my poi's that are shown on the map/alerts.

I will use the spare space to download some mp3's as the unit is capab;e of playing them.

Steve
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
A few years ago when using TomTom 3 on an iPaq I found that larger cluster sizes dramatically improved the performance of the application.

Correction! I just got suspicious about my own memory, so I searched the old messages. It was actually TT2 and, contrary to expectations, the smaller cluster sizes gave quicker performance. YMMV.
MaxRider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a sandisk extreme 3 card from my memory and it loads visibly quicker than the tom tom stock card.
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: sd card Reply with quote

The Sandisk is one of the cards I have looked at, think that's what I'll buy when I find a good price - must check 'pricerunner'.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: