Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - F20 Europe or N20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

F20 Europe or N20
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: F20 Europe or N20 Reply with quote

Hi
Seeing Navman wants around £100 for 510/20 maps without any software. I have been looking at F20 Europe & N20. Apart form the small difference in price, your comments would be helpful in making the final choice.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a play with both when on a Navman Press Release day, I much prefer the N to the F. Bear in mind that the F needs an additional 'Connectivity kit' to allow the import of Custom POIs when you compare costs.

Mind you, BT and BT/T1 modules have been announced for the F series, which increases its attraction. I wonder (and have asked) if these will be available for the N series, too.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim
Navman have on their web site the following F20, 20 Europe, 40 Europe, F50. Cannot find any prices at present. The 30, 40, 50 have second generation T1 with Bluetooth.
Regards
DRP

portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon have the N20 for £180. Not sure if the F20 has the detour feature, i think they're a few other changes to the menu as well. Couple of things i found with the N20 was the slight lack of volume, it was more apparent in a people carrier than a normal car, and i didn't find the touch screen as sensitive as others. Got rid of it only because of TMC reception problems(not limited to Navman!), only solution was Garmin NUVI/GTM 10. Perhaps another unit to consider is the Mio 510E.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi portman
The cheapest I have found is £175 on the Net.
I had considered the Mio, but when I looked at it. It had big issues with TM, whether you had to pay a subscription or not, also issues with TM in France.
I recommended a Mio (not this unit) to friends of ours who is very pleased with it, as they have it set up for a truck, they have a caravan.
Regards
DRP

DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
On the subject of TMC. Going back some 10 years or so, when Vauxhall brought out the Vectra, it came with a free 1 year subscription to what was called ‘Traffic Master’, which I believe is now TMC. Back then it was not up to much?
I commuted to work at that time and clocked up some annual mileage in the order of about 35000 miles. I cannot ever remember it giving me any info.
OK I live in South Wales, so perhaps I was not receiving any signal? It’s the same with mobile phones at present, some places you do not get any signal, whatever the network. So do I take the plunge & go for a TMC unit, or am I wasting my money?
This new unit will be for domestic use only, which means anywhere she wants to go plus holidays in France.
Regards
DRP

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

As you know I have the cheapest Rolling Eyes of the N range, the N20 and recently 'invested' in a T1. You have been used to the iCN510 and its desktop software and I think you would be unhappy with the connectivity kit for the F which does not give you the same options as the 510 or the N range.
I had initial problems with both the N20 and the T1 and it took a while to sort out and that involved a visit to Navman, to get the N20 sorted and then returned the T1 which was duff for a new one ! The new one works as well as the signals allow - there are dead spots but travelling inside London for the past two days, it did not drop out once. Only when I started to get further away from Crystal Palace did I get a few blanks.
If you are staying with Navman, then I recommend the N20 or if you are changing, then go for the best Mio you can afford. My son has one and he has had no problems with it at all and he travels across europe with it. Wink
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham
Not being nosey, do you know what model your son has? I have looked at the Mio C710 Europe with built in TMC. As we holiday in Europe, I am put off with the issue regarding TMC in France. I recommended a Mio to friends of ours who tow a twin axel caravan, as you can set it up for a truck, which stops it taking them up lanes & tracks?
Although I haven’t got TMC, I think it would be a good tool to have. I have read the posts including yours regarding how poor TMC works, but putting my engineering skills together, if I went for a Navman with a T1, I would run it with an external aerial, not that piece of wire strung across the windscreen (similar principle to the Halfords GPS antennas), magnetically mounted on the roof, like old CB aerials, but not as big. (A Bee Sting type aerial with a magnetic base). Using the adapter that I have found on the net to connect it to the T1. I think this would increase the reception for the T1.
Regards
DRP

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi Graham
Not being nosey, do you know what model your son has? I have looked at the Mio C710 Europe with built in TMC. As we holiday in Europe, I am put off with the issue regarding TMC in France. I recommended a Mio to friends of ours who tow a twin axel caravan, as you can set it up for a truck, which stops it taking them up lanes & tracks?
Although I haven’t got TMC, I think it would be a good tool to have. I have read the posts including yours regarding how poor TMC works, but putting my engineering skills together, if I went for a Navman with a T1, I would run it with an external aerial, not that piece of wire strung across the windscreen (similar principle to the Halfords GPS antennas), magnetically mounted on the roof, like old CB aerials, but not as big. (A Bee Sting type aerial with a magnetic base). Using the adapter that I have found on the net to connect it to the T1. I think this would increase the reception for the T1.
Regards
DRP

The C710 - it looks, feels, and behaves like the more expensive kit that it is. Considering, I have paid about that + or - a few £s, I suspect I might have gone for it if I had not embarked upon the route that I did before he bought his.....we can all be wise after the event Crying or Very sad
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee Pee
Has your son had any issues with the C710 & or TMC when driving in Europe, especially France.
Regards
DRP

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi Gee Pee
Has your son had any issues with the C710 & or TMC when driving in Europe, especially France.
Regards
DRP

None at all, the last time I spoke to him. He is in the Arlberg at the moment & cannot contact him to ask. G
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,
Sorry to be nosey but the setup you have N20+ ST 2006Software and mapping + Full european maps is that the setup currently on offer for ~£180-£190.
I am finding some of the posts ref Caveat Emptor somewhat confusing.
I still am not certain that the N20 comes with full street level european maps.
Terry
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Have a look at this. click on whats in the box.
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/navman-n20-europe-uk-and-ireland-pre-loaded-description.htmlRegards
DRP

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themeldrews wrote:
Hi Graham,
Sorry to be nosey but the setup you have N20+ ST 2006Software and mapping + Full european maps is that the setup currently on offer for ~£180-£190.
I am finding some of the posts ref Caveat Emptor somewhat confusing.
I still am not certain that the N20 comes with full street level european maps.
Terry

Hi Terry
Yes, the set-up in my profile (except for the T1 and additional SD cards) is the package you get with the N20 currently on offer at various prices. I bought mine pre-christmas via a special offer through Costco at £140! The mapping that accompanies the N20 is street level throughout the countries on the CDs although there is a disclaimer in the specs to the effect that some areas are less detailed than others. They serve me well! As to the Post codes for all of Europe, they are the full postcodes but not necessarily eight digit simply because the Post code system varies in europe. For instance, I go to Lackenhauser in Bavaria where the PC is 94089 Neuriechenau. I just put the full five digits in for the postcode and I am routed there.
This is from the Navman Store:
Quote:
The very latest high-detail street-level maps of Western Europe for the N series. These maps are sold on CD format and will need to be stored on a map storage card."

Graham
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that Graham.
Terry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: