Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Speed warning Reply with quote

My F20 is set to warn me if i go over 50mph. It warns me at 57mph on the speedo . So who's right the navman or the car ?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman! 8)

GPS devices are generally extremly accurate.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my car is out by 7 mph Confused
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car is 7 mph faster than your navman. Consider my car is about 5 mph faster which i confirmed when I drove past one of those mobile speed signs that shows you your speed.

Almost undeniable.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
cook1e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Navman N20 in 3 different cars, the car speedo in everyone overreads, the least by about 5MPH when the Navman is reading 70MPH, the most by about 12MPH!

The GPS should be considered accurate if you are travelling at a fairly constant speed, there is a slight lag though when you accelerate or decelerate. I've notice that when coming to s standstill quickly it can still show a small spedd (say 5MPH) for a second or two....
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it , its good that the car is over calibrated . Making it less likely to get snapped at the cameras, plus the added bonus of the sat nav warning me as well topped up with the fact it warns me of camera locations . I really have no excuse to speed :D
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving on an incline can also affect the accuracy of GPS reported speed.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than thinking about differences in mph, you will probably be more accurate in saying that the speed difference between the GPS and the car speedo is ca 10% - when the GPS displays 50mph, your speedo reads about 55mph and so on. Wink
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical car speedos (e.g. ones taking a feed from the drive shaft) are designed to read overspeed - by law (in UK) they have to have an accuracy that prevents them from reading under the correct speed. To do this they are usually designed to read about 7% overspeed.

GPS reported speeds depend on two factors. One is the formula used by the manufacturer to turn changes in location by time into speed - one can assume that these are pretty accurate. BUT the position reported by your GPS assumes you to be on the curved plane (ellipsoid) defined by your GPS datum (usually WGS84 for road nav systems) so your GPS speed is only truly accurate for a vehicle travelling over this mythical surface.

For all intents and purposes travelling along a horizontal straight road will give accurate results. Steep inclines or tight bends will affect the accuracy.
malcolmb1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Q]Mechanical car speedos (e.g. ones taking a feed from the drive shaft) are designed to read overspeed - by law (in UK) they have to have an accuracy that prevents them from reading under the correct speed. To do this they are usually designed to read about 7% overspeed.[/Q]

I lived in the US for a while and found that GPS speed almost exactly matched Speedometer speed. In fact I used to use the GPS speed to set the cruise control at 1mph under the speed limit.

Regarding calculation of speed by GPS, I believe that some systems actually use the doppler effect to produce a speed reading. I had always previously believed that speed was calculated from position change. I'm not an expert (even though I used to work for Garmin) but using doppler probably requires less processing than position change.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually brought my US (actually Mexican) built Ford Focus back with me to the UK. The speedo in this also agrees within 1 mph with my ICN520.

The problem with this is I always seem to be held up by people driving under the limit, particularly in 30 and 40 mph zonesjavascript:emoticon(Crying)
Smile
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry
Unless I have got it wrong, I thought that if a speed zone said 30 I could do any speed up to but not above 30. If 30 mean’s I have to do 30 I think I will have to put an electric motor on my cycle, it’s hard enough trying to peddle in the first instance. 8O
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are basically correct, however is also also bad manners and I believe an offence to drive too slowly and cause a moving traffic obstruction. My original comment was made with tongue in cheek but the emoticon did not display correctly when I dragged it in to my message (using Firefox).
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry
I usually pull over and let them pass, when it’s safe to do so. If the speed merchant behind has a greater need to go faster and break the law, that’s up to them I’m on the road, with my job, last year clocked up 69000 miles. The vehicle I drive is classed to do 50 on A roads, 60 on Dual carriageways and 70 on motorways. I have a clean licence and intend to keep it that way, as on anyone day I could loose my licence, then where would I be. That’s why I am here, without my GPS I would be lost. Driving Police
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: