Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What are the "rules" for selling maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the "rules" for selling maps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: What are the "rules" for selling maps? Reply with quote

As I am Canadian I was was able to order the free North America map upgrade to my Canadian address.

It has arrived but as I am still over in the UK I think I may just sell it on Ebay or something. Is that legal?

I cannot think of a use for it as I may just sell my current TT with the Europe maps when I leave the UK and buy a new unit in Canada.

Or can I just sell the Europe map?

Anyone have some advice?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you wont be able to sell the europe map leagally as its been activated if had not been activated then you MAY have been ok as long as it had a valid activation code

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure Alix?
So long as it is the original SD card/DVD and it is supplied with the Product code card AND it has been deleted from any machine he owns, surely that will be OK?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Are you sure Alix?
So long as it is the original SD card/DVD and it is supplied with the Product code card AND it has been deleted from any machine he owns, surely that will be OK?

How do you delete it in a way which removes the activation record from TomTom's database - so that they can issue a new activation code for a different device?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Alix what bolloc*s
He can sell what he likes, as long as it is with the original unit it was activated on then there is no problem.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
Sorry Alix what bolloc*s
He can sell what he likes, as long as it is with the original unit it was activated on then there is no problem.

Yes, but the OP asked "Or can I just sell the Europe map?" - which I took to mean that one option, at least, was to sell the map but keep the device.

Anyone buying the map would need a new activation code to use it on their device, but TT wouldn't oblige because their records would show it still registered to the OP's device.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true he could sell it but as pointed out the europe map the OP wasnt to sell has been activated it maybe another user could get it working but the scond owner of the map would not be entitled to any dicounted map upgrade should they come out also if there was a plroblem with the map then tomtom would refuse to help the new owner of the europe map

the usa map the OP has could be sold as that ha not been activated yet as far as i know

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Fair comment. Sorry Alix it wasn't a personal go at you.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
GO-GO-910 wrote:
Sorry Alix what bolloc*s

Yes, but the OP asked "Or can I just sell the Europe map?" - which I took to mean that one option, at least, was to sell the map but keep the device.

Anyone buying the map would need a new activation code to use it on their device, but TT wouldn't oblige because their records would show it still registered to the OP's device.

If you read again, what he actually said was "I cannot think of a use for it as I may just sell my current TT with the Europe maps when I leave the UK and buy a new unit in Canada.

There is no problem as far as I know with selling a Satnav, complete with the installed maps. Or am I missing something in the EULA which would allow him to sell the device, but which would prohibit transfer of the mapping along with it?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need an edit facility in this forum.

Carrying on from my post above. Since he has a TT One with the mapping on an original card, what's to stop him selling the original card which is pre-activated, and will work on any device? Or is this something else that is banned?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN sell an original SD card as long as it's with the Product Code Card (software licence) or you can sell a TT with a back-up card in it along with the PCC as long as you don't then sell the original SD card separately.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
If you read again, what he actually said

No - you re-read everything he actually said, and not just selective quotes! Even though it seems most likely that he would sell the device and map together - which wouldn't be a problem, he was also considering the option of selling just the Europe map. That was what I was commenting on.

LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!! He said this and he said that.
At the end of the day, he sells what he likes when he likes and how he likes.
Is it legal, is it illegal, truthfully who gives a stuff.
It really isn't any of my business.
This whole site is becoming a mouthpiece for wannabe lawyers and the self righteous. Next thing will be an animation of Kenny everett going across the screen with two big hands singing Bruvverlee lurvve..... Laughing Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steady on GO-Go-910.....

YOU might not care what is legal or not, but the OP asked the question so presumably he does care, and he deserves a reasoned answer - and preferably one that is CORRECT.

Could one of the admin team (who has a way past TomTom's first line customer services nightmare), get a definitive answer for the poor guy?
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... I see there is a stagnating can o' worms here.....

Laughing

So, if I get this straight....I should probably just sell the unit as a whole in the summer and re-purchase back in Canada, which makes the UNUSED north America map useless to me.

( Unless you guys think it would be more up to date than a unit purchased summer/fall of this year? )

What would a decent price be for the NA map be?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: