Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - N20/N40i/F20/N520 New Maps Advice Appreciated
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

N20/N40i/F20/N520 New Maps Advice Appreciated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: N20/N40i/F20/N520 New Maps Advice Appreciated Reply with quote

The new maps for the N520 are now available @£99 no software upgrade available so presume no 8 digit postcode facility.Compared to this the other Navman models N/F series appear to be good value @£165-£190 including 2006 software and european mapping.Apologies for my ignorance but is there a comparison review available that i could read before deciding which is best value.
I am comfortable with my 520 but othermodels may now be better value.
Any constructive comments appreciated.
Terry
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct that there is no app. and hence no full postcode lookup. Also, the new maps are the same vintage as those on the current N series.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F series appears based on the 320, therefore the 520 software, although I expect a couple of gerneations ahead. The N series is based on the 7xx series - which Navman claim is a complete ground up rewrite.
Best to play with a couple to se which one you like.

As for £99 for the upgrade - a 530 will cost you £150, so only £50 more than the upgrade, and it will have the the same new maps, full postcode, SiRFIII GPS reciever and a few other nicities - overall a better unit. For another £50 you can have the very latest, with the same maps as the £150 530. So the other way to look at it is for £50 you get two units, one much better than the one yu currently have.

Personally, if I decided to upgrade at all, I would flick off the 520 (or give it to her indoors) and buy a 530. Upgrading is the same fools game McDonalds play- "would you frys with that, Sir?" except you already paid for a map licence, then you pay for a full license again, and can nolonger use the original one you paid for. It's more like "Would you like Sprite instead of Coke for only an extra £1 ?"

if the upgrade price reflected that you already had a license for %99 of the data, say £20-£40 for maps, then maybe upgrade.
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice
Terry
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: N series european maps costs Reply with quote

Sorry to seem thick on this issue but i must be missing something.The Ads for european maps for these devices appear to be slightly misleading or i am being suspicious.
The ads for the N series state "european maps for 21 countries on CD included" this includes the Navman store.Am i right in thinking that these maps are FULL street level maps that can be searched by postcode ( but not 8 digit) and not just basemaps giving major roads to link countries.
If as the ads state the N series include full european maps on CD why are Navman selling Western European Maps on CD for £99?.

Terry
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: N series european maps costs Reply with quote

themeldrews wrote:
Sorry to seem thick on this issue but i must be missing something.The Ads for european maps for these devices appear to be slightly misleading or i am being suspicious.
The ads for the N series state "european maps for 21 countries on CD included" this includes the Navman store.Am i right in thinking that these maps are FULL street level maps that can be searched by postcode ( but not 8 digit) and not just basemaps giving major roads to link countries.
If as the ads state the N series include full european maps on CD why are Navman selling Western European Maps on CD for £99?.

Terry

The N series come with the country of purchase (Say UK) and Europe Basemap, pre-loaded. In addition you get all of W/Europe on the accompanying CDs. These give street level mapping and eight digit post code searching. There is now the option of also buying E/Europe on CD but these are limited mapping. If you wish to travel to USA or NZ then you would want to buy the additional maps on CD or conversely if you live in NZ and want to visit Europe you may wish to buy the maps on CD for W/Europe. Wink
cook1e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: N series european maps costs Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
themeldrews wrote:

Terry

The N series come with the country of purchase (Say UK) and Europe Basemap, pre-loaded. In addition you get all of W/Europe on the accompanying CDs. These give street level mapping and eight digit post code searching. There is now the option of also buying E/Europe on CD but these are limited mapping. If you wish to travel to USA or NZ then you would want to buy the additional maps on CD or conversely if you live in NZ and want to visit Europe you may wish to buy the maps on CD for W/Europe. Wink

I've got the N20 and have loaded all the European maps on to it from the CDs that were supplied, just needed a 2Gb SD card which I picked up for about £17. It did take about 1 1/2 hours to carry out all the downloads though. Another thing which surprised me is that once you have the European maps loaded you get a chance to download the safety camera data for some of the EU countries via the special offer menu of the Smart ST desktop. You can pick and chose which country safety camera data to download. Not all countries have safety camera info though, eg Germany doesn't which is a pain as we are going there in the summer!
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: N series european maps costs Reply with quote

cook1e wrote:
Germany doesn't have safety camera data which is a pain as we are going there in the summer!

In Germany they have a different approach to speeding!!

The police stand where ever they want with the guns so its virtually impossible to come up with 'safety camera' sites. The good news, if you can call it that is that the fine is about 40euro and no points.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: