Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat Nav with TMC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat Nav with TMC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ftm4eva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Which Sat Nav with TMC? Reply with quote

I have finally decided I'm sick of traffic jams and need a sat nav unit. I've had a browse round the usual websites/shops and narrowed it down to the following:

a) Navman iCN530 with T1 TMC unit
b) Medion 510T
c) Garmin nuvi 310D
d) Garmin Streetpilot C510D

They're all vaguely around the same price but my mate who used to work in halfords says Medions are rubbish.

I'm edging towards the Navman but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on which is the best of these 4. I'll mostly be using it for long distance motorway driving on routes I know but need a good reroute function to avoid the traffic.

Cheers in advance

Chris
etaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only have the Nuvi 310D - very happy with it - but make sure you get an updated PSU with it
serno ends 6025
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id recomend the nuvi 310d

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid Navman's and Medion's their SH#T, I'd go for the NUVI
freedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so Medion are rubbish, are they? I paid £119.99 for a Medion PNA510T (complete with TMC AND an mp3 player) and it works. Simple as that it works. We have driven 1100 miles using it since purchase on Saturday (yes we do v. high mileage). My wife loves it ~ I have my reservations; but not at that price!

Does anyone know how to load the camera warnings on it though, please? Seems daft to run the i3 in tandem for just the cameras!
freedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so Medion are rubbish, are they? I paid £119.99 for a Medion PNA510T (complete with TMC AND an mp3 player) and it works. Simple as that it works. We have driven 1100 miles using it since purchase on Saturday (yes we do v. high mileage). My wife loves it ~ I have my reservations; but not at that price!

Does anyone know how to load the camera warnings on it though, please? Seems daft to run the i3 in tandem for just the cameras!
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much more useful if reasoned arguments were used as to why Navman or Medion are ****.
The only "problems" I've seen here reported here are mainly that it is difficult to load cartoon voices etc and there have been a few moans about customer service. The latter seems to be true for all makes with the possible exception of Garmin.

My Navman ICN520, used daily, has been totally reliable for the two years I've owned it and at least they do not knowingly ship with a virus preloaded and not say anything for about 6 months.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Navman person myself, but would suggest you get a N20i or N40i instead of a ICN 530 as these have older maps and firmware. However I have played with a Garmin Nuvi 360/660 and think it's quite good as well.

Personally I'd avoid TomTom though - just too bulky for my liking and don't like the interface either.
Home 2.7.3.1894
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for the Nuvi you have the choice of the GTM 10 or the GTM 12 TMC receiver. The GTM 10 uses your car aerial giving a better signal than the GTM 12 which uses a short wire attached to your screen by suckers.

http://www.garmin.com/traffic/index.jsp#receiver

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/
Shows Nuvi prices too.

www.amazon.co.uk
Search for gtm 10. (£49.99+£4p&p)
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a Nuvi 660 which came bundled with the TMC unit with the wire and suckers - not the most elegant of designs. The 660 is a very nice piece of kit and being a TomTom PDA user for years (since first release of their s/w) I thought hard and long about moving away from the familiar. The pluses to the 660 are:

Very neat unit - fits into jacket pocket very easily
Good mapping
It turns out to have much better routing than TomTom - it gets my 'local knowledge' shortest way back home almost spot on Smile It also recognises that some of the roads rouund where I live are not navigable by vehicles (I can just about do it on mountain bike) Local farmers get their tractors stuck - they are VERY narrow with 6ft ditches on either side. TomTom would always insist on sending me down them.

I actually went to buy a Nuvi 310D but the elegance of the 660 won me over (at more money of course). The shop (Halfords as it turns out) had the full TomTom range there and they looked quite dated alongside the Nuvi's. I have been a GARMIN GPS user (for walking) for many years and am impressed by their product reliability and their support/service.

Finally the receiver in the 660 is very sensitive. I have a TomTom GPSII BT receiver (which is no slouch) and I am currently in my office; the TT unit has a lock on 4 sats the Nuvi is showing 7 with good sky distribution. The building is brick construction and the window is some 10 feet away - really impressive.

Negatives:
Can't customise the voices - I will miss having John Cleese in the car with me :D
Can't get unit to remember the basic config (like backlight level/ 'key click off) - no mention in manual and it just may be something I haven't found yet.

I will be tapping the car aerial this weekend to get a feed for the TMC unit - which I will install behind the dash in order to loose all the wire.

Phil
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to read your post philpugh, I have been debating whether to buy the Nuvi 660 or TomTom 910. Although the N660 seems to be ahead i wondered whether you knew the best for detecting speed cameras, if so what spec's.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the camera database from this website it makes no difference if you have the garmin or the tomtom. The gps does not 'detect' cameras, it alerts you when you are near them by knowing your position and the cameras position.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: