Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sat nav didn't come with free insurance, a free carry case, a spare battery, a spare window mount (for my 2nd car), a spare power lead (for my 2nd car) or a brush for my cat. i thought it would as it didn't tell me otherwise so shall i take them to court?

i'm sorry but they can't list everything it doesn't include, the list would be far too long. if it doesn't say it then it's not included - if in doubt, ASK THEM! just like medicines only list things you can't take with them as opposed to listing all the things you can.

MaFt
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simulated e-mail responce

Dear Mr MaFt

We are sorry you are having problems with our product. As you may already be aware out terms and conditions can be re-read in any way we see fit, so at this stage we feel you do not have a walking digit to stand on. If however you do still wish to continue this course of action, please feel free to contact our team of five highly paid lawyers who will be happy to see to your needs. May we also extend our condolences to your cat.

Your friendly GPS Company

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end they (Navman or any other vendor) can only sell you what you buy. No one forces you to buy those updates. If you want the price of map updates to fall may be you should just stop buying the updates you find expensive. Actually I never understood why some people find it so compelling to buy map updates every time someone decides to sell them.
I personally wouldn't buy a map update even if it was £15 or £20 instead of £100. There are several reasons for this. Firstly, I am happy with the map data on my iCN 530 as it is. I know it is far from perfect and it seems to be at least 3 or 4 years old for some regions (let's not forget that Tele Atlas 2005 maps means that Tele Atlas published this version of the maps in 2005. It doesn't mean that all the data is from 2005).
However, I still find iCN 530 to be a very useful tool which helps me much in getting to wherever I want to go. By the way before I bought this device (about 5 months ago) I used yo use a paper map - "AA Britain road atlas" from 2000. It never occured to me that I had to buy a new paper map once or twice a year.
Secondly, I wouldn't spend money when I don't know what I get in return. I mean - no one(well, at least not the vendor) tells me what is the difference between TeleAtlas 2005 maps (which iCN 530 came with) and TeleAtlas 2006 maps which I am offered to upgrade to. It may be the case that there are only about a dozen of junctions corrected in places which I'll never visit. Why I would spend money on something like this?
I can think of better ways of spending the money. Better still I could save this money against the purchase of my next navigation system. Anyway in 2 years time (or 3 years at most) my iCN will look so archaic that I'll most probably want to by a new device (may be based on completely different technology??). Why should I bother upgrading the maps meanwhile? If I am currently managing to find my way with maps which are about 5 years old I beleieve I would be able to do so with those maps in the next 2 years as well.
piescoffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE Reply with quote

I totally agree with you, and it would be nice if that guy called Tim Buxton, would stop making sarcastic remarks about peoples expectations of Navman. The initial cost of this unit is not cheap, and it seems they have got you by the short and curlys once you have bought it. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee for an update, but £99 every 6 months is extortionate. This should be made clear by navman when selling the unit.

OJM wrote:
I've been a bit confused about updating the F20's maps, since purchasing the connectivity kit.

The kit, in my opinion, is a complete waste of money - it provides you with a USB cable, and a POI editor. That is it! No SmartST software etc.

I was a little confused about this, so I hunted for torrents on the web for the F20 software, and sure enough, only the POI editor comes on the CD - 400MB+ @ £15 and all for an Excel look-a-like data uploader!

Because of this, I wondered how do we update the UK map on the F20, when Navman release them, so I emailed Navman...

The answer was along the lines of, "you've got to buy them".

GOT TO BUY THEM!!!?!?!?!? WHAT!?

Now I don't know about others, but when I spend £100+ on a satnav system, I assume I am able to update it when new maps are released (ie, when new roads are built). I don't expect to have to fork out more money on updating it every 6 months!

I've emailed Navman back to confirm this, and to show my disappointment, and thought I'd post on here to show my email conversation;

Quote:

Sent: 09 February 2007 19:06
To: uksupport@navman-support.com
Subject: RE: Map Update [#134117]

Dear Marianne,

The roads in question were built over a year ago.

Just to clarify – any future map updates will need to be purchased from Navman, to make the F20 upto date? I can’t believe this, as when I purchased the Navman F20, I was under the impression you could update it, for free, whenever map updates were available.

I understand that European, American maps etc would need to be purchased separately, but having to purchase a new version of the UK maps is just ridiculous.

If this is true, then I will be looking at returning my Navman F20, and advising others to do the same.

Regards,

Oliver Mortimer

From: Navman UK Support [mailto:uksupport@navman-support.com]
Sent: 09 February 2007 10:54
To: myemailaddress@blank.com

Dear Oliver,
The new roads that were built within the last year are not on the unit, therefore updates are made once or twice a year. You can buy these map updates from our website www.Navmanstores.com and here you can find them when they are available.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help.
Kind regards,
Marianne Bryden

Technical Support Team

Navman Europe Ltd
4G Gatwick House
Peeks Brook Lane
Horley, Surrey RH6 9ST
United Kingdom

Office: +44 (0) 1293 780 950
Fax: +44 (0) 1293 780 992

www.navman.com

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Navman Europe Ltd shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Navman Europe Ltd does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference. This communication does not create or modify any contract, and unless otherwise stated, is not intended to be contractually binding.

--Original Message--
Date: 08/02/2007 18:14:32
Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the reply, however although the unit is only 4 months old, there are still roads missing from the F20, which have been there for at least 1 year – most notably the bypass from Tamworth to Burntwood (part of the A5).

Once new maps are available for the F20, will these be downloadable (for free), as software updates? Ie, Service Packs?

Regards,

Oliver Mortimer

From: Navman UK Support [mailto:uksupport@navman-support.com]
Sent: 08 February 2007 15:53
To: myemailaddress@blank.com
Subject: Re: Map Update [#134117]

Dear Oliver,
The connectivity kit enables you to use updates for the Safety Camera and it gives you software updates.
As the unit is still only about 4 months old you have the latest maps in the unit. Normally there will be new maps coming out once or twice a year. - However, at this point we do not know when new maps will come out.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help.
Kind regards,
Marianne Bryden

Technical Support Team

Navman Europe Ltd
4G Gatwick House
Peeks Brook Lane
Horley, Surrey RH6 9ST
United Kingdom

Office: +44 (0) 1293 780 950
Fax: +44 (0) 1293 780 992

www.navman.com

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Navman Europe Ltd shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Navman Europe Ltd does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference. This communication does not create or modify any contract, and unless otherwise stated, is not intended to be contractually binding.

--Original Message--
Date: 07/02/2007 13:33:19
Subject: Map Update

Dear Sir/Madam,

I recently purchased the desktop connectivity kit for my Navman F20, and was dissapointed to find that it didn't include the SmartST application -- only the POI updater.

How would I go about updating the F20 UK maps, as the SmartST application is used in other models to update maps etc.

Kind Regards,

Oliver Mortimer

I hope people will agree that this is ridiculous, and forward their opinions to Navman.

Oli Mortimer
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE Reply with quote

piescoffer wrote:
I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee for an update, but £99 every 6 months is extortionate. This should be made clear by navman when selling the unit.

that's the thing though, you don't HAVE to buy the new maps. why not leave it a couple of years until there's likely to be a decent amount of changes made and then it would be worth paying, wouldn't it?

just because it's available doesn't mean you have to buy it!

MaFt
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE Reply with quote

piescoffer wrote:
I totally agree with you, and it would be nice if that guy called Tim Buxton, would stop making sarcastic remarks about peoples expectations of Navman. The initial cost of this unit is not cheap, and it seems they have got you by the short and curlys once you have bought it. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee for an update, but £99 every 6 months is extortionate. This should be made clear by navman when selling the unit.

Please can you clarify which remarks you consider sarcastic? Also, can you define 'not cheap'? What do you consider to be 'a reasonable fee'?
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim
I do not wish to get involved with this heated debate, but when I purchased the ST2005 upgraded software and current maps, the cost was £90 or so. That was November 2005. I do understand that inflation has been increasing, but £99 just for current maps & no upgraded software. I think it’s a bit OTT, as for under £50 more you can get an F20 or N20, with all the latest spec GPS receiver, software & maps.
For me reasonable would be £50/60. I will not pay that price for maps alone. I am looking at other manufacturers and may move away from Navman, not forgetting I own 2 Navman systems.
I think Navman’s attitude towards their customers could be more considerate, for example if you are a registered map licence holder, some discount would be a good gesture. I think Mio take this approach.
Take an example form Windows, just had a “Vista Premium” upgrade for £14, the cost is for handling & shipping.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DRP. No problem. There are ways to state your case, and ways to state your case. I like your way.
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DRP,
Could you tell me where did you get this upgrade to "Vista Premium" for £14? Am I entitled as well? I bought my Windows XP Professional (retail version) in April 2003.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim
Unfortunately we are not all made out of the same mould. Don’t forget we are humans. We have the lefts, we have the rights. Each party speaks for its own. 8O
I say let’s put this thread to an end?
Regards
DRP
ps. anyone get an email from the pm.
Wink

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krasimir wrote:
Hi DRP,
Could you tell me where did you get this upgrade to "Vista Premium" for £14? Am I entitled as well? I bought my Windows XP Professional (retail version) in April 2003.

An offer went out just befor release of vista for any one buying a new pc. Can't remember the cut off but I think 2003 is out.
Ask for an OEM version of vista, normally supplied to system builders at more than half the retail price. Can be a little awkward to install so not for the less pc savvi. 8)

To be honest though don't buy it untill SP1 is released.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Krasimir
I had an Acorn Electron back in the 70’s. I do not think that I am entitled to an up grade, to Vista. Sorry? Smile
I am referring to the masses that purchased around December.
Not knowing any better or had them as a gift, and are new to the world of GPS. 8)
Yes they are ruffled. I would be? Sad
The problem is, this country has gone ballistic over GPS, as with Mobile phones, not every one understanding the basic rules. :o
Do not forget we live in “Rip off the consumer Britain”
Regards,
DRP

DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
History lesson.
The Acorn Electron I believe was a derivative to the BBC Basic PC, which had its own language and was the for runner to the system that a chap named Bill Gates was in the process of developing.
Regards
DRP
PS. Yes I am OLD.

Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DRP"]Hi Krasimir
I had an Acorn Electron back in the 70’s. I do not think that I am entitled to an up grade, to Vista. Sorry? Smile
I am referring to the masses that purchased around December.

Hi DRP,
That's what I wanted to hear from you. I know that only those who have recently bought a PC are entitled to so cheap or 'free' upgrades :-)
I just wanted to clarify this for the masses:-)
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Krasimir wrote:
Hi DRP,

An offer went out just befor release of vista for any one buying a new pc. Can't remember the cut off but I think 2003 is out.
Ask for an OEM version of vista, normally supplied to system builders at more than half the retail price. Can be a little awkward to install so not for the less pc savvi. 8)

To be honest though don't buy it untill SP1 is released.

Thanks for your reply mostdom. I was just kidding. I am not going to buy Vista any time soon. I would wait for SP2 (at least) . Anyway I wouldn't gain anything from buying Vista (over XP Professional). The Aero interface is not good enough to make me shell out £100+ (OEM Vista Ultimate - I wouldn't consider Home at all - what is the use of OS without encryptioin these days?). Not to mention that I most probably will have to buy new hardware in order to run Vista properly (currently Intel Pentium C 3.00 GHz (Northwood core) 1 GB Corsair XLT 3200 LL memory and a Sapphire Atlantis ATI Radeon 9500 Pro - Do you remember those graphic cards - they are now discontinued because Medion bought 500000 of them at once)
I am going to wait until they actually release the Longhorn interface (which was supposed to be in Vista and to change our perception about computers and the world as we know it).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: