Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OJM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: F20 Map Updates - NOT FREE Reply with quote

I've been a bit confused about updating the F20's maps, since purchasing the connectivity kit.

The kit, in my opinion, is a complete waste of money - it provides you with a USB cable, and a POI editor. That is it! No SmartST software etc.

I was a little confused about this, so I hunted for torrents on the web for the F20 software, and sure enough, only the POI editor comes on the CD - 400MB+ @ £15 and all for an Excel look-a-like data uploader!

Because of this, I wondered how do we update the UK map on the F20, when Navman release them, so I emailed Navman...

The answer was along the lines of, "you've got to buy them".

GOT TO BUY THEM!!!?!?!?!? WHAT!?

Now I don't know about others, but when I spend £100+ on a satnav system, I assume I am able to update it when new maps are released (ie, when new roads are built). I don't expect to have to fork out more money on updating it every 6 months!

I've emailed Navman back to confirm this, and to show my disappointment, and thought I'd post on here to show my email conversation;

Quote:

Sent: 09 February 2007 19:06
To: uksupport@navman-support.com
Subject: RE: Map Update [#134117]

Dear Marianne,

The roads in question were built over a year ago.

Just to clarify – any future map updates will need to be purchased from Navman, to make the F20 upto date? I can’t believe this, as when I purchased the Navman F20, I was under the impression you could update it, for free, whenever map updates were available.

I understand that European, American maps etc would need to be purchased separately, but having to purchase a new version of the UK maps is just ridiculous.

If this is true, then I will be looking at returning my Navman F20, and advising others to do the same.

Regards,

Oliver Mortimer

From: Navman UK Support [mailto:uksupport@navman-support.com]
Sent: 09 February 2007 10:54
To: myemailaddress@blank.com

Dear Oliver,
The new roads that were built within the last year are not on the unit, therefore updates are made once or twice a year. You can buy these map updates from our website www.Navmanstores.com and here you can find them when they are available.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help.
Kind regards,
Marianne Bryden

Technical Support Team

Navman Europe Ltd
4G Gatwick House
Peeks Brook Lane
Horley, Surrey RH6 9ST
United Kingdom

Office: +44 (0) 1293 780 950
Fax: +44 (0) 1293 780 992

www.navman.com

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Navman Europe Ltd shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Navman Europe Ltd does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference. This communication does not create or modify any contract, and unless otherwise stated, is not intended to be contractually binding.

--Original Message--
Date: 08/02/2007 18:14:32
Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the reply, however although the unit is only 4 months old, there are still roads missing from the F20, which have been there for at least 1 year – most notably the bypass from Tamworth to Burntwood (part of the A5).

Once new maps are available for the F20, will these be downloadable (for free), as software updates? Ie, Service Packs?

Regards,

Oliver Mortimer

From: Navman UK Support [mailto:uksupport@navman-support.com]
Sent: 08 February 2007 15:53
To: myemailaddress@blank.com
Subject: Re: Map Update [#134117]

Dear Oliver,
The connectivity kit enables you to use updates for the Safety Camera and it gives you software updates.
As the unit is still only about 4 months old you have the latest maps in the unit. Normally there will be new maps coming out once or twice a year. - However, at this point we do not know when new maps will come out.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help.
Kind regards,
Marianne Bryden

Technical Support Team

Navman Europe Ltd
4G Gatwick House
Peeks Brook Lane
Horley, Surrey RH6 9ST
United Kingdom

Office: +44 (0) 1293 780 950
Fax: +44 (0) 1293 780 992

www.navman.com

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Navman Europe Ltd shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Navman Europe Ltd does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference. This communication does not create or modify any contract, and unless otherwise stated, is not intended to be contractually binding.

--Original Message--
Date: 07/02/2007 13:33:19
Subject: Map Update

Dear Sir/Madam,

I recently purchased the desktop connectivity kit for my Navman F20, and was dissapointed to find that it didn't include the SmartST application -- only the POI updater.

How would I go about updating the F20 UK maps, as the SmartST application is used in other models to update maps etc.

Kind Regards,

Oliver Mortimer

I hope people will agree that this is ridiculous, and forward their opinions to Navman.

Oli Mortimer
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It is ridiculous that you expect free map updates and I've forwarded my opinion to Navman accordingly.
OJM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not sure if I understand you correctly...

Did you mean it's ridiculous that we don't get the updates for free?
Or did you mean you think it's ridiculous that I expect them to be free?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latter. Every time Navman issue new maps, they have to pay the data supplier for them. Do you really think they would supply such maps for free? A very few people have managed to get one free update out of them, under extenuating circumstances.
OJM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So say, for instance, I was to purchase the top spec satnav, I'd still have to pay for map updates?

And people wonder why torrents are popular...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you would. Just like if you bought a top of the range paper map in 2006, you'd have to buy a new one in 2007 if you wanted to stay up to date. Of course, you could steal one, but that would be theft.

Torrents are popular because people don't like paying for things. It doesn't stop it being theft, though.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Yes you would. Just like if you bought a top of the range paper map in 2006, you'd have to buy a new one in 2007 if you wanted to stay up to date. Of course, you could steal one, but that would be theft.

Torrents are popular because people don't like paying for things. It doesn't stop it being theft, though.

I agree.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

I agree.

I'm sure most people who've actually thought it through would agree too.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Matjdm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked to point out the Tom Tom allows you to update the maps for free :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No TomTom do not allow map updates for free other than with specific vouchers when kit is purchased close to an update coming out. They do permit free software updates, but these are not the maps - Mike
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic maps are however unlike paper maps, which the printing and handling cost is a significant component.

My issue is not with paying for map updates, but the requirement to pay a for a new full licence fee for the latest maps when I already have paid a licence for the current maps. Most software vendors charge an upgrade fee - 20% per annum is typical, for software updates. Map vendors charge an upgrade fee of 100% per annum (release). Is this reasonable, I say no. However, it has not changed recently and the update costs have always been what they are today.

I accept Navman is free to charge what they like for an update, and I have a choice to pay it and get the maps or not pay it and don't get the maps. Using torrent is illegal and immoral, apart from the fact it won't work without a valid map key.

In summary I sympathise with you but cannot support your stance.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but navman have to pay a full licence dont they and companies such as navman are commerical bussinesses.

also there is the fact that the newer data will have much more information ie postcodes. roadspeed data for navman to process this data for use with there products takes time and money that is why you pay a full licence fee when you buy a newer map.

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You miss my point. I have already paid for a large percentage of the data, errors and ommisions and all. I don't mind paying extra to get more features and updated maps (buy the way - for a 520 you get none of the enw stuff, as you need software to support it - another charge I bet). I object to paying for corrections to errors in the data, but even if it is possible it's not practical to seperate these, so I accept that a fee needs to be paid.

If Navman have to pay TA a full fee, then they have to pass it on to the consumer, so the problem is TA is not being reasonable, BUT Navman does not need to pass on the full margin, so navman is also unreasonable. You argue that Navman have to process the data etc at a significant cost, but they need to do this anyway for the new systems they sell, so the marginal cost of the upgrade market marginally more than £0.00.

So between Navman and TA, the price charged for a Map upgrade is all profit -100% cash into someones back pocket.

I have a message to Navman, TomTom, TA and Navtech. Online Maps are currently Free, Online routing to all intense purposes Free, Bandwidth is dropping. £100.00 / year will provide a hell of a lot of online based routing on my phone or PDA. The light at the end of Navmans tunnel is the head lights of an online juggernaut thats going to crush their gravy train.

Dispite having products for sale at 100% profit, Brunswick recent wrote the value of Navman down $200Million, I wonder why?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

online mapping is fine if you have a signal and yes gprs costs at dropping but not that much also ta and navteq supply the maps for download app such as smart to go

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
zzf00l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that the reason we are now debating this upgrade cost is that our colleague didn't realise when he purchased the product that he would have to pay! I suggest that the reason he didn't know is because he wasn't properly informed.. and that applied to me also, not that I don't agree with having to pay... I just wasn't told.. just the same as I didn't realise that the new shiney CD's of Europe are worthless unless I buy a 'product key' .
This was my first venture into SatNav (as for many) and I suggest we were woefully ignorant of how things 'worked' and some allowance should be allowed for this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: