Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6 USA on Palm Zire 72 - Any other Non-Treo devices?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6 USA on Palm Zire 72 - Any other Non-Treo devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom 6 USA on Palm Zire 72 - Any other Non-Treo devices? Reply with quote

Hello,
I have successfully installed TT6 on my Palm Zire 72. It was not on the compatibility list but it worked all the same. It even seem to upgrade some of my settings and the old itinerary work also. I eventually reset to factory and went thru the startup wizard again.

I am not sure why TomTom refuses to support other devices but Treo but it works without problems. Its funny but my buddy bought the Palm GPS pack that has the Zire, and TT told him to wait off till TT6 comes out and they will give him free upgrade. Why would they do that when the device was not supported?

Any other non-Treo Palm devices got it to work?

There really is not many differences from TT5 and TT6. A major annoyance is that when you do a search for POI it does not have the keyboard symbol on the lower left. The keyboard will pop up once you graffiti a letter but there seems to be no way to have it pop up automatically or with a stroke. Has anyone seen a way around this? VERY annoying. I can understand since the only supported devices are keyboard models.

Some things I noticed:

Some other changes is that it warns you after 1.9 miles of a turn and then .5 miles. It used to warn after 1.2 miles and version before that .9 miles.

The palm device will shut off at your auto off time, if it is not connected to satellites. This can be a pain if you have a hard time acquiring a signal.

There seems to be no problems turning the Palm on and off with TT running. When you did this with TT5 you usually had to get out of the program and go back in.

Also there is no speed warning or does not speak the roads like the other devices. I heard the speed warning was annoying.

Graphics all around are cleaner and there are much more POI. They have better POI navigation where it has choices for POI near you, POI in city, or POI near home. It also has POI along route and POI at destination much needed feature if it works.

The Palm contact navigation in integrated and works fantastic WOOHOO.

You can now navigate to Latitude and Longitude for all you GeoCachers out there. Not sure I would use it for that anyway.

Some other features that do not work on my device like buddy, weather, and TT Plus I have not tried.

Please anyone else out there with non-Treo devices let me know your experience.
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also installed ver.6 on my Zire 72 and my TX. Both work without any problems. I find that version 5 and 6 maps both work contrary to what has been said on this site. When I purchased a new downloadable map the version 6 software was made available to update. So I have mix of maps versions V573 and V660 on the device and they work.

Bill
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billconant wrote:
I find that version 5 and 6 maps both work contrary to what has been said on this site. When I purchased a new downloadable map the version 6 software was made available to update. So I have mix of maps versions V573 and V660 on the device and they work.

Bill

Do you see any reason to keep the v5 maps?

Do you also find the missing icon for keyboard when you get a POI annoying?
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have a correction. It seems to that TTv6 does know the speed limit. I went on a interstate and it indicated the correct speed limit. But local highways it did not know about it. Not very helpful.
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinniet wrote:
billconant wrote:
I find that version 5 and 6 maps both work contrary to what has been said on this site. When I purchased a new downloadable map the version 6 software was made available to update. So I have mix of maps versions V573 and V660 on the device and they work.

Bill

Do you see any reason to keep the v5 maps?

Do you also find the missing icon for keyboard when you get a POI annoying?

The v5 maps are for parts of the country I don't travel to very often so I don't need to purchase newer versions. As far as the POI keyboard question goes I don't have a big use for POI's so don't notice the keyboard. My main use is just getting from point a to b at work.
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed somethings with TT6 on the Palm. It seems that it plots much slower then before. I loaded the TT6 with maps from TT5 it took much less time to plot the same route. This might be because there is much more data to process, not sure.

Also another thing I noticed is that when TT6 is live and going thru a route the scrolling is jerky. It will tick every second to adjust the position. TT5 was much more smooth.

Now for a positive thing I noticed ... it seems TT6 with the v6 maps now knows what side of the street a address is on. I took my TT6 program and plotted a route to my house. With TT5 maps it positioned the end point in the middle of the street. With TT6 maps it put the end point to the right side of the street. SO that feature had to be added to the maps itself.

Let me know if anyone else notices the slowness or jerky plotting with TT6.
limo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have TT6 on Zire 72 and it does feel slower than before. You are not alone.

It also requires more free memory to execute properly.

I still decided to keep TT6 since the map improvement and massive POI database expansion can't be ignored.
DougUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Palm contact navigation Reply with quote

> The Palm contact navigation in integrated and works fantastic WOOHOO.

That's what I thought until I got badly caught out one time. It seems to only use the address lines but ignores the post code completely in the contact info. I've had it direct me to the wrong destination (a similar road in a similar town in a different county). It taught me to always check where it wants to send me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: