Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poor handling of gates (gated communities and the like)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor handling of gates (gated communities and the like)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Poor handling of gates (gated communities and the like) Reply with quote

I noticed the following problem on both TTN for the Palm, and TT Go 700:

The software used to route drivers through an unmanned private gate that only the village residents have access to. This was hell for non-residents, who really needed to drive in through the public gate on the other side of the village.

There must have been complaints from non-residents, because the latest s/w and maps will not route any driver through the private gate. The new maps are perfect for non-residents, but lousy for residents because using the private gate is faster for about half the trips. It's like I need to keep an old version and a new version of every map, so I can first compute whether it makes sense to use the private gate -- then recompute the route on the new maps to take advantage of new roads.

So my question is: did Tele Atlas screw the pooch, or TomTom? Tele Atlas should have private gates clearly identified in the database, and TomTom should be asking the driver whether they have access to the gate.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is very much a case of expecting too much from a satnav system. The kind of complication this would cause are unbelievable, and for the benefit of who? Just a relitively small number of people who have access, and know which way to go anyway.

I appreciate that the route generated can be quite differrent if using a differrent access - but as you probably have a good idea which one should be used, I would suggest adding the gate(s) to your favourites and using that (rather than your home) as the destination.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor handling of gates (gated communities and the like) Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
The new maps are perfect for non-residents, but lousy for residents because using the private gate is faster for about half the trips.

TeleAtlas do identify locked gates and in my opinion they have done the right thing - if there is no public access through the gate then it should be blocked by the sat nav system.

A sat nav system could potentially allow you to identify gates that you can open but it's a lot of work for little benefit - residents of the village would surely know the local area well enough to know when it's best to disregard the sat nav's instructions and drive through the locked gate entrance. Wink
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered my suspicion was wrong - Tele Atlas did not add the gate. After driving toward the private gate and examining the map, I can see that segments of road near the gate have disappeared from the new maps (which has the effect of prohibiting navigation through the gate). And one of the street names is now mislabeled. So the integrity of the maps have simply worsened, and I've reported the error. It does not appear that Tele Atlas has actually become keen to the gates existence.

BTW- I checked the Navteq maps and their maps are correct. So I'll be looking into making the switch to Garmin to take advantage of the better maps.

neil01 wrote:
I think that this is very much a case of expecting too much from a satnav system. The kind of complication this would cause are unbelievable,

As a software engineer, I can say for certain that gate access would be a simple feature to implement, particularly if TomTom was well engineered to begin with. The logic would be similar to the toll roads handler, which asks the user if they want to use toll roads when they are discovered along the optimum path. If the user says NO, then the software simply reruns the original computation excluding the toll roads. If TomTom was poorly engineered, and everything is hardcoded and doesn't make use of generic programming, then it could get ugly. It really depends on the current state of the product.
neil01 wrote:

and for the benefit of who? Just a relitively small number of people who have access, and know which way to go anyway.

I appreciate that the route generated can be quite differrent if using a differrent access - but as you probably have a good idea which one should be used, I would suggest adding the gate(s) to your favourites and using that (rather than your home) as the destination.

It's easier to know how to leave than how to return home. The roads within and around the gated community are not in a grid system, but rather a plate of spaghetti. The fastest route is not always intuitive. And the ETA becomes unreliable when the navigation software is not choosing the optimum path.

The thousand or so residents well outnumber the few visitors that they receive, since it's also a vacation resort where half the residents are out of town most of the time.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But enabling the use of gated communities would not limit this use to just one community unless you'd expect each one to be enabled individually.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
But enabling the use of gated communities would not limit this use to just one community unless you'd expect each one to be enabled individually.

I'm not sure why TomTom wouldn't treat all private gates the same. Tele Atlas would have to identify each gate individually, but that's their job. TomTom wouldn't have to micromanage the process.

I have submitted an error report telling Tele Atlas the coordinates for a local private gate. I imagine that most of the effort in identifying private gates will come from consumers submitting error reports.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then the possibility would arise that you could be routed through someone else's gated community; a route which shouldn't be available to you.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Tim has hit the nail on the head, you can't devise a system which would simply be of benefit to a single gated community, it would have to include the others too.

As a software tester, I have also been involved in the implementation and design of many systems (large and small in numerous different fields) so am all to well aware of the 'demands' by many 'minority' factions along with 'how easily' it could or should be implemented. My experience leads me to the conclusion that this is rarely the case. An example in this case would be the frustratingly regular asking whether you wish to use a private road to the vast majority of users who do not have access. The question would (unlike tolls etc) have to be asked for each and every road on the potential route because access to one does not mean access to the others. Or perhaps the additional complication of processing to determine where in the route the restricted access appears. This is by no means an exhaustive analysis, just a couple of examples to illustrate.

What has to be remembered, is that satnav is still a relitively new technology, where unlike computers, the vast majority of users are still on their first unit, and probably best categorised as 'novice' (I am being generous in the description) and need a system as simple as possible. Some poeple would still say that software such as TomTom has actually been 'dumbed down' to reflect this change in user, but probably best not to go off at a tangent on that!

While I do not (and never have) disputed that the inclusion of gates should never be included, I can think of many other ommissions which would in far more users eyes be much more important.

A good example would by the inclusion of restrictions encountered by many commercial drivers such as weight, width, and height. This would be of benefit to far more users than the inclusion of private roads.

I still maintain (as old standing forum members may remember from numerous previous posts) that satnav is still not developed enough to totally dispense with the need for an up-to-date road atlas, and, that it is sometimes advisable to modify the generated route to take your particular requirements into account. From experience with TomTom and CoPilot, I am lead to the conclusion that TomTom produces better routes (only on fastest though!) than CoPilot, but that CoPilot is in a differrent league when you want to use the application to guide you along a route you want to take.

We also have to accept (whether we like it or not) that a satnav application usually relies on maps produced by an outside source, over which they only have influence, not control, and that any aditonal features may take time before the maps include the data they require (and in the correct format).

Sometimes we just have to accept that Satnav is simply an aid (or hiderence?) to navigation, and be prepared to override it with a good helping of common sense (or local knowledge).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: