Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD card speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD card speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polygon99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: SD card speed Reply with quote

I know this has been discussed before but It hasn't really been answered. What speed is needed for a 2Gb sd card to work on the 520. There is a big variation in prices so it would be good to know. Essentially I want to put all euro maps on one card.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have covered this topic many times. Read my old posts?
the fastest as possible (133 X). I don't think you get all of the EU onto a 2GB card. you may get all the cuntries on, but you will need ferries and the rest of the software, in order for the route to run seemlessly.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full EU will fit onto a 2Gig card.

As for speed, you want the fastest read speed, as write speed does not matter much - the iCN hardly ever writes to the card once maps are loaded. There is qiute a difference in read and writespeeds of some card, and some cheaper "slower" cards actuallu have respectible read speeds.

In the end it probably does not make a lot of difference. Routing may take a few extra seconds, if it's far enough to make a noticable difference you will be driving for hours or days anyway, so whats a few seconds.

I suggest buy from a reputable retailer, tell them what you want it for, and make sure you can exchange it for another brand/model if it does not work.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just paid £4.99 for a 2GB SD Card for my 520 and I swear it runs faster than the card suppied when I zoom in from viewing the whole route to a small section of it.
polygon99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: sd card Reply with quote

thanks people. I bought a normal speed Transcend 2gb SD card for about £10 on ebay (incl postage). I have transferred all euro and UK maps and speedcams and have 100mb to spare. For some reason my card reader slot on my PC would not recognise it. However it worked in the 520, just meant the download took a long time.

I have done a few test routes, such as Northern Norway to Southern Italy and it does take a little longer than London to Brighton but only about 1 min in total.
polygon99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: base map Reply with quote

A further question - now that I have all the maps on one sd card, is there any reason to have the base map as well? If not I could use the space for something else.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: