Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mom wants a GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mom wants a GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucksmooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Mom wants a GPS Reply with quote

i really don't know anything about GPS and my mother wants a unit for her birthday in a couple of weeks. she mentioned to me that she would like a unit that can be used in the car (mountable) but can also be pulled from the car and used if she goes on a hike, which she does quite frequently. is there such a unit, and does anyone have any particular brand they feel is the best for these? thanks in advance!!!
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty that can do.
Basically it is down to 2 types:

1. A PDA with built in GPS - good for navigation purpose in car. But battery life is only 3-4 hours maximum if used out of car.

2. A handheld GPS - basic cheap ones gives you the location you are in, more expensive ones (cost more than the PDA tyoes) gives you mapping and navigation in a limited way. It can last a whole day (daylingt) if used out of car.

I would suggest the first one. Look at the Mio range and they are very cheap for what it is. There are 2 types of these too, differentiated by the OS used - Window Mobile or CE. The former gives you full PDA functions while software for CE is limited and mainly used for GPS purpose with the software supplied.

Confused? Ask more specific questions and many would be happy to answer.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But battery life is only 3-4 hours maximum if used out of car.

You could carry a couple of spare batteries if that's likely to be a problem Laughing
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Quote:
But battery life is only 3-4 hours maximum if used out of car.

You could carry a couple of spare batteries if that's likely to be a problem Laughing

The problem here is that if you forget to close the application before changing the battery it will loose any tracklog information - which is very annoying to say the least. Also you have to fiddle about with getting it out of a protective case whilst wearing thick gloves in the pouring rain...... Also PDA batteries are not inexpensive and if you go for the no-name batteries (i.e. non original manufacturer) you usually end up with less battery life.

It doesn't answer the original question but I would go for a dedicated car nav system and a separate GPS unit for walking - it costs more certainly - but you get devices designed for their specific application.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: