Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REDUCTION IN SPEED CAMERA DATABASE THIS MONTH
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REDUCTION IN SPEED CAMERA DATABASE THIS MONTH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sema_4 wrote:
People here want the option to be alerted to possible camera sites, just read the posts here, its plain to see that a large percentage of people want this. Evidently, there is just as large a number that don't want this, and thats where another ov2 catagory would please a greater percentage of the customer base.
Only a tiny percentage of the 1000s (63,661?) of people who can use the database have expressed an opinion Embarassed

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
As far as I know, you don't get a lifetime membership for mobile camera reports, so the idea of reporting them,

Is it a case of 'No lifetime membership so I won't bother to report them'? In which case the database will be inaccurate.

Quote:
and having them verified, has nothing to do with 'getting a free membership' and everything to do with 'not getting a speeding ticket'.

The one sure way of not getting a ticket is to stick to the speed limits. No database will be 100%

I'm sorry if you felt this was attacking you. Without the tone of voice and facial expression, my comments could be misunderstood. I apolgise if you misunderstood my meaning.

If you double check the rest of my comments you will see I was either agreeing with you or just adding my point of view.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sema_4 wrote:

As it stands, those of us that 'do' want to use it, are being denied that right,

What "right"?

It's hard enough trying to maintain ONE database.
Can you guarantee that everyone who opted for this additional "unverified" one would bother to report EVERY incorrect, vague, mis-positioned, or just plain ridiculous submission?
Or will it just continue to grow to totally unmanagable proportions with every single motorway bridge included, for example?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on people, it's time to knock this on the head.

PGPSW have made a policy decision to only distribute data with which they are satisfied to be associated.

Agree or not, some are forgetting that the cameras are offered free with membership of this site. There's a load of other free stuff too, plus forum access to a huge knowledge base of free advice. Like your PC magazine. Bit of a nerve to be complaining about your free gift. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is far funnier...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/27012007/140/eye-spies-speed-camera-vandals.html
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GPSW have made a policy decision to only distribute data with which they are satisfied to be associated.

End of story!

I trust the mobile site verifiers are aware of sites like

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

(Click on Talivan in the lefthand menu, 3 pages)

or

http://www.speedcameras.org/photos-of-speed-cameras.htm

which may give an indication of the variety of sites in use. However, as Dennis said this thread isn't going anywhere so it might as well be dropped.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
This is far funnier...

That's not funny, it's frightening - I drive the A37 through Shepton Mallet so often I've qualified for a frequent traveller's badge and I don't know where that camera is - What am I missing? Eeeeeeeek! Surprised

Sema_4
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Sema_4 wrote:

As it stands, those of us that 'do' want to use it, are being denied that right,

What "right"?

The 'right' to request that we have it ? Perhaps 'option' would have been a better word than 'right', at the time of writing it, I didn't think someone would would make something of the word, I guess I was wrong...

Lost_Property, many thanks for the clarification, damn the written word for it's ambiguousness ? Confused

BGF - Pleasing a greater percentage means just that, I didn't say 'pleasing the greater percentage'. At the moment, some want it, and by including it, it will please some people that are currently requesting this and who are expressing dissattisfaction at not having it, by including it, and adding those newly pleased people to the already pleased people, gives a greater percentage, I think.... Math was never my stong point Wink

I must confess Im startled at the willingness of some, to directly critisize the point of view of others, rather than simply expressing an opinion on the topic for their own reasons as opposed to directly bashing stated opinions. If you don't want it, say WHY you don't want it, rather than attacking those of us who say they DO ?

Laughing Out Louda - the voice of reason, you are right, wayyyyy funnier, thanks Smile [/i]
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Agree or not, some are forgetting that the cameras are offered free with membership of this site. There's a load of other free stuff too, plus forum access to a huge knowledge base of free advice. Like your PC magazine. Bit of a nerve to be complaining about your free gift. Laughing

I know the words say you're paying for membership of the site and the camera warnings come free with that, but in reality most people are paying for the camera warnings. How many subscriptions do you think would be bought without them?

What is wrong with providing an unverified camera category that people could decide on their own whether to use or not?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
I trust the mobile site verifiers are aware of sites like

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

Well, with regard to
Quote:
are in roadworks which is due to the M6 Toll construction
I do hope they're not wasting their time on this one!

And with regard to "Gwent Talivan on A48 at Caerwent" I darn well hope so - I submitted it to them a week ago after my jolly trip through Wales.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PGPSW have made a policy decision to only distribute data with which they are satisfied to be associated.

This is an open forum, I think it is quite right and proper that people have an open discussion about matters like this.

Not withstanding the substantial amount of work that goes into maintaining the database, let's not forget that the members are the ones who collect (and in some cases verify) the information.

You are right that it is ultimately up to PGPSW to make policy decisions regarding the way they run their business, but it goes without saying that a business needs to listen to feedback from their customers.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is far funnier...

That's not the only instance of cameras watching cameras - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/25/cctv_gatso/
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
If it's any help, I can assure you both the A1 locations listed on that page are in the main database (even in the current release).
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people had read my post, they would have seen that I posted the links to those sites to give an indication how difficult it must be to verify whether or not a site is 'likely' to be valid
Quote:

which may give an indication of the variety of sites in use

NOT to see if the actual sites were in the database. I'm not going back through the thread again for the exact comment, but I believe one of the verifiers said that an unverfied site he visited was unlikely due to the fact it was on a narrow bendy road! As far as I can see, one of the photos shows a similar site in use.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
This is far funnier...

That's not the only instance of cameras watching cameras - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/25/cctv_gatso/

Ha ha ha ha

Seriously, these cameras are installed for our safety and destroying them is illegal and not funny in any way, officer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: