Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REDUCTION IN SPEED CAMERA DATABASE THIS MONTH
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REDUCTION IN SPEED CAMERA DATABASE THIS MONTH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
In recognition of all the comments posted here I will discuss with the team some possible options to appease those of you who have felt so strongly about our removal of the unverified locations (that were only inserted last month in error).

You might care to consider the following ...

At the time of writing this, this thread has attracted 6875 viewers. There have been 224 replies. 35 contributors, of whom 16 appear to want an unverified release, 13 don't and 6 don't say one way or the other.

My figures are inaccurate to the extent that I have only recorded 222 posts and can't be bothered to go through it all again!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Alternatively, look at the index where a quick "now" snapshot shows Replies 125 (of which how many are repeat posts by the same member?), Views 3139. Not quite "fire in the belly" stuff.

I'm just doing my own count and at this point you're the top poster with 15.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You might care to consider the following ...

At the time of writing this, this thread has attracted 6875 viewers. There have been 224 replies. 35 contributors, of whom 16 appear to want an unverified release, 13 don't and 6 don't say one way or the other.

My figures are inaccurate to the extent that I have only recorded 222 posts and can't be bothered to go through it all again!

That 13 seemed a bit high to me so I've just gone through it myself (I had a bit of time on my hands).

I also make it 35 posters, and 16 definitely in favour, but I only get 5 definitely expressing an opinion against, 6 if you include Darren who has now agreed to reconsider. And you finished up as high poster with 25.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rock and a hard place stuff isn't it! The number of people who think strongly enough about this to post here is a very small fraction of the userbase.

If we react and make available a specific download for those here who are unhappy then were do we draw the line in future. If we don't then those sufficiently incensed will continue to stoke the fire and raise merry hell Confused
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

I've no wish to 'stoke the fire and raise merry hell' Laughing , but leaving aside any potential administration problems, if this unverfied data is completely seperate from the main PGPSW world speed camera database I really can't see the problem in some members wanting access to potential mobile sites as soon as it is available.

I honestly can't understand those posters who are so strongly against this data being made available if it's technically possible. They don't have to downlod it or use it. All I want is a warning that there may or not be a potential mobile camera/unit on the stretch of road I'm approching, if nothing else it reminds me to check my speed.

This all revolves around the fact that mobile sites are totaly different from fixed or temporary sites and I feel they need to be treated differently. Although I don't do a very high mileage, I think that in all the time that the database has been available, I've only ever seen 4 or 5 mobile sites in use, and I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of figure is common amongst members, but I still want the warnings of potential danger. As I ahve said before, I choose to install the multitude GPSPassion French mobile camera warnings, which do on occasions annoy me no end, but that's my choice

If MaFt decides that he truly dosn't have the time to implement this, or that ne feels that it's technically to difficult to do then I will reluctantly accept it, but I strongly feel that it should be made available if possible.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I see it...

ALL mobile sites are 'potential' sites - they are often not in place when I have been past them - I wouldn't think of reporting them as unused though. I would be in favour of having a separate list of potential cameras (all types) as it may assist in more rapid verification of them.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a "pocketgps_uk_please_varify.ov2" in the database.
Wait for the feed back and amend the database accordingly?
Even a spoken .ogg alert in the case of TomTom .ov2?
If those who feel strongly enough on either side of the fence contribute the whole issue could be quickly cleared.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
That 13 seemed a bit high to me so I've just gone through it myself (I had a bit of time on my hands).

I also make it 35 posters, and 16 definitely in favour, but I only get 5 definitely expressing an opinion against, 6 if you include Darren who has now agreed to reconsider. And you finished up as high poster with 25 One of my deliberate inaccuracies? Twisted Evil I only counted 24.

I counted all Moderators and Team members as against on the basis that they would have been part of the corporate decision to exclude unverified cameras. Plus I read all the posts again and found enough sentiment I suppose to class as against. Maybe I had more time on my hands than you. You didn't do too badly with posts yourself. Also there was quite a lot of irrelevant comment (definitely including me) to make up the numbers.

With the best will in the world, it doesn't make a huge difference though, does it? There were still less than a score of people who wanted pgpsw to change their policy.

classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
All I want is a warning that there may or not be a potential mobile camera/unit on the stretch of road I'm approching, if nothing else it reminds me to check my speed.

All sorted then, I can save you the download time, ANY stretch of road you are approaching could potentially have a mobile camera/unit on it.

I won't even comment on the fact you need a database of ANY kind to "remind you to check your speed" Wink

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
As far as I see it...

ALL mobile sites are 'potential' sites - they are often not in place when I have been past them - I wouldn't think of reporting them as unused though. I would be in favour of having a separate list of potential cameras (all types) as it may assist in more rapid verification of them.

When you say "they are often not in place" on a scale of 1-10 (1 being extremely accurate, 10 being I've never seen a mobile unit in a reported location)how accurate in YOUR experience is the mobile database?

To old to die young.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I would like to say I'm not taking a 'pop' at you personally emjaiuk by quoting from your post, you're not the only one to have said it and I've quoted you because I was too lazy too go back through the posts and cut and paste from others contributions.

Quote:
All I want is a warning that there may or not be a potential mobile camera/unit on the stretch of road I'm approching
Surely the camera warning signs are a bit of a giveaway, whether there is an unverified camera warning or not.

Quote:
if nothing else it reminds me to check my speed.
There are repeater signs for the speed of the road except for 30, no repeater signs assume it's a 30mph road.

The way I see it, and I may be wrong, is that people want the unverified cameras included to enable them to set a warning that a camera may be there and adjust their speed as necessary. This implies they will be driving over the limit, whether accidently or on purpose.

So what happens when they are exceeding the limit, see camera warning signs but get no warning from their device, carry on at the same speed? Unlikely, so a warning on the device is not that important.

No one has convinced me that an unverified database is of any use to anyone, likewise the red light camera database. Which makes me think, maybe we should have a database of every traffic light in the UK, just incase there is an unreported or unverified camera there. Then we could have another for all laybys and every road bridge over dual carriageways, just incase there is an unreported or unverified camera there.

Just remember the speed limits are the maximum we should drive at, they are not a compulsory minimum. The safest bet is to drive at the maximum speed taking into account road, traffic and weather conditions.

Having said all that, I'd be happy if someone could convince me of the benefits to people, if the data is supplied, of downloading and using it. Maybe then I could come off the fence and argue for it.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt sound like you are sitting on the fence.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doesnt sound like you are sitting on the fence.

Sorry I never made myself clear.

1. I cannot see the point of having an unverified cameras database.
2. I don't care whether PGPSW offer it or not.
3. I have not said people should or should not have it.
Quote:
Having said all that, I'd be happy if someone could convince me of the benefits to people, if the data is supplied, of downloading and using it. Maybe then I could come off the fence and argue for it.

If anyone can point to the place where I have contradicted myself, I will gladly make a public apology for the error of my ways.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one more pro contributor, there are now 17 people who want it.
DennisN wrote:

With the best will in the world, it doesn't make a huge difference though, does it? There were still less than a score of people who wanted pgpsw to change their policy.

emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there had been less pointless and inane posts not to mention the chidish bickering perhaps more members would have felt able to contribute, whichever point of view they may support

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: