Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Specs at Blackwall Tunnel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs at Blackwall Tunnel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curleydel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Specs at Blackwall Tunnel Reply with quote

Hi, Just noticed what looks like the specs cameras at both entrances of Blackwall Tunnel (North & Southbound), so be careful out there. I'll have to slow down & have a good look when I go to work later on.
Curleydel Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've had a few submissions of these but they're all over the place and none of them match other submissions...

could be handy if someone can confirm they are defintely specs and also there actual locations!

MaFt
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just an experimental camera system for monitoring traffic flow and is not type-approved for speeding checks, so nothing to worry about. :D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
It's just an experimental camera system for monitoring traffic flow and is not type-approved for speeding checks, so nothing to worry about. :D

is that for definate?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

OK, here's the killer question: Are the cameras yellow? If they aren't then they are probably not speed enforcement cameras.

I would ride through and have a look, but with the current conditions I'd rather not ride further than I have to. Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through and back tomorrow and Sunday, so wil have a butchers if I remember.
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through yesterday and saw nothing other than traffic monitoring cameras. Will check again today...
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW330 wrote:
Went through yesterday and saw nothing other than traffic monitoring cameras. Will check again today...

Have just been through again, but still don't think there are any specs here. There are traffic monitoring cameras inside and outside the tunnel, as well as a white camera per lane at the tunnel entrances and exits which look like ANPR's for London security/DVLA.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly didn't see anything resembling SPECS, either.
Curleydel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all you people, I'm a cabdriver and the message came over our radio computers last week that Blackwall Tunnel Average speed cameras was up and running both ways. With all the work that's been going on for the what seems like eternity at the tunnel I took it as gospel Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , I think I've now learned to keep me mouth shut until I know for sure. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Again Sorry Lads and Lassies Derek Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curleydel wrote:
Sorry all you people

No worries mate, better that suspicious sites get checked out than ignored!

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Wink
Curleydel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, I just receivedthis email from a Board Member of the very large radio circuit I belong to:- "It seems Ken Livingstone Twisted Evil is going mad with his cameras so if you or anyone you know uses the Blackwall Tunnel read below, which is a direct lift of an e-mail sent to all of us from one of our Sergeants......

I have it on good authority from enquiries made by staff at Motorway Control that there are now small undetectable specs cameras (average speed detection cameras) sited in both the north and south bore of the Blackwall tunnel. Apparently they are going live today.

The speed limit for the tunnels are 30mph northbound and 40mph southbound. It would appear that our Criminal Justice Unit at Marlowe House have no knowledge of this and state it is TFL that have implemented it.

Any offences for speeding through the tunnel would be raising funds of £100 per offence or £50 if paid promptly.
They have not installed signs warning drivers of this speed trap and therfore would not be looking to hit drivers with a licence endorsement, just take the money from you.

I shall leave the questions why they are doing this to you to answer;. My thoughts are purely of revenue collecting. Further enquiries are being made as we speak.

Please be very careful if you or friends and family use the tunnel regularly. Also be mindful if you are patrolling the tunnel at any time

Please feel free to pass on!!
Andy

Metropolitan Police
South East Traffic Garage TDP
34 Aitken Road
Catford
London SE6 3BG"

I cannot say if it's truly from the MP but I wouldn't put anything past that money grabbing B*****d Twisted Evil to be devious enough to try something like this and to fight the legality of the cameras in court at us taxpayers expense of course.

You all be lucky out there Del.

ps. apparently, the message put out originally to us cabbies was from a mason.
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curleydel wrote:
Hi again, I just receivedthis email from a Board Member of the very large radio circuit I belong to:- "It seems Ken Livingstone Twisted Evil is going mad with his cameras so if you or anyone you know uses the Blackwall Tunnel read below, which is a direct lift of an e-mail sent to all of us from one of our Sergeants......

Sorry, but I'm still not a believer, especially since 1) I've seen the cameras myself 2) the email is from an unknown source, and 3) the refurbishment report specifically mentions new CCTV cameras:
http://www.tycotraffic.com/Press-Room/Project%20Profiles/Blackwall%20Tunnel%20Southbound%20Refurbishment.pdf
Curleydel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno weather it's true or not, but I'm 40% believing it and 60% a load of b*****ks, , but I think for the next few weeks I'll be sticking to the limits, mind you most of the time you'll be very lucky to exceed them, more likely to get a parking ticket. Rolling Eyes
Del
dribri
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Speed Cameras at Blackwall Tunnel Reply with quote

Apparently they are speed cameras - see below

New "undercover" Speed Cameras which were introduced a few weeks ago on the A12 are going 'live' on Monday!

We have had a tip-off from the BTST Locator update team that small 'specs' cameras have been sited both north and south of the Blackwall tunnel on the A12 in London.

The cameras have been sited in a deliberate speeding hotspot (because the limit reduces to 30 very suddenly without any advance warning) and the fine has been raised from the usual £60, to £100 per offence.

But here is the really unusual thing...

They have NOT installed signs warning drivers of this speed trap.

Why?

Because they are NOT be going to be hitting drivers with a licence endorsement as you would usually expect...

... They are just going to take our hard-earned cash instead!

This is just the latest case of blatant profiteering from the countries "safety camera" partnerships.

Our information tells us that these new cameras are going 'live' from Monday (12th February).

The speed limit for the tunnel is 30 mph northbound and 40 mph southbound.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: