Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ICN 510 Software confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ICN 510 Software confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: ICN 510 Software confusion Reply with quote

Hi all, I don't use my 510 very often so I turn it off completely at the rear. When it is turned back on & connected to my PC (SmartST Desktop) I am informed of a software upgrade which I download & install. This happens every time I connect after it has been switched off completely. Also, the only language I can find is American. Although she sounds quite cute with her lisssp she is beginning to annoy me!

Also when it is turned on it informs me that it is loading backup/restore & requires me to Accept the licence agreement. Is this normal just because I turned it off at the rear. I wanted to completely remove the software & start again but the handbook doesn't explain this very clearly.

The software version is: SmartST 2005 Build 3.50.0088 with the European maps installed.

I am a newbie at this so simple explanations would be great ;-)

Roy.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely normal - when you turn the switch off it's the same as a PDA hardware reset- everything goes back to how it was when it left the factory. Therefore you not only loose your update to the latest version, I think you also loose your favourites/recents etc. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)

Best solution is to leave the switch alone, but if you don't use it for a while the battery will go flat. In that case, you would need to remember to charge it before you wanted to use it, or charge it up once a week or so.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
. Therefore you not only loose your update to the latest version, I think you also loose your favourites/recents etc. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)

Not in my experience, Robert - but I stand to be corrected Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
robertn wrote:
. Therefore you not only loose your update to the latest version, I think you also loose your favourites/recents etc. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)

Not in my experience, Robert - but I stand to be corrected Wink

Further...I've been doing a little checking. There are three types of 'Switches' on your device.
1. The Off/On switch on the top of your device which does just that - enters the unit into a suspended state and ready to restart quickly. This still uses a little power.
2. The battery switch on the back which turns off the power if you are not going to use it for some time which, may or may not return the unit to its 'factory' state as Robert suggests. I do not remember mine acting in that manner, though Crying or Very sad
3. To reset the unit when it freezes, hold down the Home key (the little house) until prompted to "Reset Device?". Tap the screen 'Yes' and this then does a reset as described by Robert.

Sorry, I still do not know what your problem is - I think an email (via Tech support web site) or phone call to Navman should be considered Wink
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I guess the easiest option for me is to only swith off at the front & re-charge before use.

At least I have the UK woman telling me where to go now! I do miss the American lisp though ;-)

Roy.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipwreck wrote:
I do miss the American lisp though ;-)

Roy.

Fickle Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: