Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom One now confused what to do next
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom One now confused what to do next
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with a couple of points and then others will hopefully add!

1) I'm sure your computer has USB sockets on it? The cable that comes in the box goes from your TomTom to the computer. Now, as you are using Windows 98, you will have to install the driver so that the computer will recognise the TT when you plug it in. So, put in your CD and there will be an option to install the Windows 98 driver. Do that first - and you may have to reboot after.

2) When you have installed the driver, put the CD in again and there should be an option to backup your TomTom. You should do this before doing anything else. And keep this backup safe on your computer.

Once you have this backup, you're okay to do other things because you can always use the backup to put everything back to how it was when you bought it.

The other things you may now like to do are :

1) Add the safety camera database so you get warnings of speed cameras.
2) Change the map colours.
3) Add voices.
4) Customise your menus

....but you don't have to do any of those things! Your TomTom is already ready to use :D
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your other points, the TomTom only comes with the car lighter charger. You can buy the official charger but it is a little expensive compared with many alternatives that are available - do a little search on the forum for users who have found alternatives. Or have a look at http://www.mytomtomgo.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=6c336a2ee08ab15c889c6d84e4a33fa7
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Unplug the TomTom from the computer
2) Put in the TomTom CD and it should autoplay.
3) Select "Add/Remove extra features"
4) Click the right pointing arrow
5) Select "install Windows 98 USB driver"
6) Click the right pointing arrow

Should get the driver installed for you to be able to do a backup.
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Smile That backup is probably the most important thing you'll do regarding your TomTom!

Someone else would probably be able to give better advice but I wouldn't think there would be any problem registering in your daughter's name. However, the second most important thing you can do is to keep your receipt safe! If anything does go wrong in the next year or so, TomTom will need to see your receipt to do repair - hopefully you won't need one though! But if you do, I've found it to be a very efficient process!

You will have to register to get access to the "TomTom Plus" parts of the website and do any downloads. I'm not sure if you still need it to get your month's free trial of Traffic.

You probably shouldn't bother with purchasing the TomTom traffic camera POI files - most people have reported they are not very good and not updated often. The ones you can download on this site are updated every month and are updates are contributed by users of this forum. Until now this has been a free download each month but, you've come at a slightly controversial time Exclamation , because from sometime soon there will probably be a charge of £2 (maybe) each month if you want to update your files each month. Until now they have been great!

You can purchase different voices from TomTom's site, but not necessary of course! And there are different ways to customise your TomTom - a search around this site or http://www.mytomtomgo.com/forum/index.php will get you started!

I hope your daughter enjoy's her new TomTom Smile

Happy New Year!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
Thankyou Smile Happy new year to you too

I just found out the version is 5.410 is that ok? I noticed a few people saying they have version 5.420 so have been a bit swizzed? Should it be updated at all?

Havent added any camera things yet or poi's still trying to work out which is best to get

If it ain't broke don't fix it! The 5.420 update can be downloaded here but unless you use Traffic then there is little to commend it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
I'm now going to go rummaging through a few drawers to see if I can find any adaptor that might fit to recharge it indoors just on the offchance

Unless you are certain any adapter you find offers the correct voltage then don't! However, if you have a Sony PSP then that adapter works!
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
onesexylady wrote:
Thankyou Smile Happy new year to you too

I just found out the version is 5.410 is that ok? I noticed a few people saying they have version 5.420 so have been a bit swizzed? Should it be updated at all?

Havent added any camera things yet or poi's still trying to work out which is best to get

If it ain't broke don't fix it! The 5.420 update can be downloaded here but unless you use Traffic then there is little to commend it.
Doesn't it up the POI category limits back to 49 (they got reduced to 25 or so by mistake in an earlier version).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:
Doesn't it up the POI category limits back to 49 (they got reduced to 25 or so by mistake in an earlier version).

Indeed it does, my comments were directed at the original poster for whom I don't think this will be an issue yet.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:

No, the ONE came with firmware that has the 49 POI limit out of the box.
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
mossman wrote:

No, the ONE came with firmware that has the 49 POI limit out of the box.
Maybe, but my ONE (purchased a few weeks ago) had 5.410 on it (I don't know if that version was back to the 49 limit).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:
Maybe, but my ONE (purchased a few weeks ago) had 5.410 on it (I don't know if that version was back to the 49 limit).

It was. The 5.410 formware was only available on the ONE and did have the 49 POI limit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
Does this mean if I upgrade to the 5.420 I will only have allowance for 39 poi after rather than 49?

And I think I'm going to get a bigger sd card things look a bit tght on here if they tell me on tomtom to delete a voice before upgrading. I havent even put on any speed camera database yet and poi so it looks like I'd have to delete even more to get them on is that right?

No, both the 5.410 and 5.420 versions have the 49 POI limit.

SD Cards are very cheap these days, you could delete all the foreign voices and make enough room but with a 256MB card costing less than £20 I'd buy a larger one.
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 256Mb Kingston SD card from ebuyer - £10.98 + standard delivery ($14.13 intotal)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=46549
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that link does not work, go to www.ebuyer.co.uk and search for code 46549
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
Thanx I'll look it up Smile

Can I copy the card without a card reader though?

Yes, you copy the entire card's contents to your PC. Insert new card in ONE and copy back.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: