Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabtt,

What version of POI Loader are you using?

Using 2.4.1 it seems to create headings under the nuvi "Custom POI" banner automatically. I've just tested it by adding in a .csv POI file and .bmp, re-running POILoader and the new POI's were added into their own section.

You won't get a full list for any category of POIs which have many entries - I don't know what the cut-off criteria is but it only shows you POI's relative to your current location. All the POIs are stored however. If you use the MAP to reset your position manually then do it again - you get a different list
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

I believe it's ver 2.4.1 but will double check this afternoon and post back.

Plus, when loading folders onto my SD card, are there any actions I should take (ie creating a folder on card prior to a file transfer), that I should be aware of to allow them to show under Custom POIs?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I don't think you need to create any folders - but I have never used an SD card for POIs yet. As long as you select the correct drive on the first screen of the POILoader s/w (i.e. NOT the main nuvi drive but the associated SD drive) then I believe it creates all the neccessary folder structure.

However I have only tried it on my 660. I will try this with my wife's 310 tonight - but can't see any reason why it would be any different.

Added later:

Don't know whether or not this has anything to do with it but; I have just started to use Ash10 Camera Manager to load warning voices etc. Previously I was using POILoader 2.4.0.0 Beta and manually doing the process. Ash10's utility makes it all that much simpler. I can't see how this would affect things - but it was the first time I had used V2.4.1 and it created separate headings for all camera types and my other POI lists (about 4 off) so I was really impressed as you no longer had to put he POI sources (.gpx or .csv) into separate folders as with the beta release.
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil
yep, I'm using the latest version 2.4.1.0 of POI Loader. I should be doing this in the Beginners Lounge - I'm such a NOOB!

MY AIM: I wish to upload my POI folders to my SD card and open my nuvi at "Custom POIs" to see a list ie 'Halfords', 'Banks', 'Garages', etc I then can select one of these and see a list of Halfords stores, for example.

MY ISSUE: Following POI Loader, I see my two drives ("nuvi (/E)" and "removable drive (/F)") - I select (/F) and then navigate to where I keep all my POIs on my laptop. (Each folder contains a .bmp and a .csv file) - following the Loader, I upload each folder in turn. I open my nuvi only to find a list of, say garages but all laid out individually!! I know I'm missing some simple task but I'm stumped!!

HELP..!!

Last edited by rabtt on Thu May 17, 2007 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fg Question - not up on shorthand!

But.. I did read the Help file in 2.4.1 (yep I got that desperate!) and it says..

Quote:
POI Loader loads all .csv and .gpx data files saved in a particular folder. When creating or downloading Custom POI data files, it is recommended that you save all the data files you want to upload to your device in one single folder.

This is what I did and it looks as if it does create the categories automatically - good ol' Garmin
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I read that also - but don't have gpx files just bmp and csv as downloaded from this site. Also, the Loader does just loads the files into one folder (either in internal memory or SD card). You don't get a choice where to put it in the nuvi other than those two places (if you've a card inserted, that is). My problem is viewing them: WHERE TO - CUSTOM POIs

I don't see seperate entries for say, Halfords or Banks and so on. I get a list of say, Halfords near me and that's it. I can't navigate on the nuvi anywhere else and can't see my other POIs ie Banks . .

ps - fg was a slip of the fingers! Embarassed
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOHOO - sorted! After much help from MaFt, philpugh and sheer bl**dy doggedness, I realised I was making a fundamental error. Read on . .

I have a folder on my laptop with seperate folders for each POI category ie Halfords stores, WiFi locations, Banks, etc. I created another folder and simply called it "My POIs" (call yours anything you like). In here I copied the whole POI folders (categories) that I wanted ie "Halfords" and "Banks" - it is THIS whole folder ("My POIs) that I get POI Loader to upload to my nuvi (the SD card in my case) and bingo! Cheers!

Now, I apologise to those who know this already or have been trying their very best to explain this to the likes of me but THANKFULLY the penny has dropped and I hope, in some way, this helps others . . 8)
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbt - glad it's working. Thumbs Up

Now I wonder how it orders the categories in the nuvi (i.e. under Custom POIs) - it doesn't seem to be alphabetical - can't seem to find any logic behind it - but I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: