Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fifi__78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us updated Doug - My new Garmin 310 crashed and died in EXACTLY the same way you described.
Unfortunately, when I called Garmin today they said they had no power to any systems except for the telephones, so could not provide me with an RMA number - so the return of the unit to manufacturer has been delayed!
I look forward to your next instalment - or a new thread!!
Thanks
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate. See my other thread I started about this. I was also told that their system had crashed but persuaded Halfords to give me a P910 instead. There has to be a major problem with this and Garmin ought to be admitting it. Something is causing these crashes.
Doug
bluka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i posted in another topic (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51200), my 350 has done exactly the same.

As others have already stated, it would appear to be the full set of POI from this site and the POI loader that is causing this problem. Whatever is the cause of failure to install, it shouldn't wipe out your unit. Me thinks with the sudden number of returns they are getting, Garmin will be looking closely at this.

I think until the problem is resolved (assuming we find out when it is) a warning on the PGPS download POI page could be included. Just to make people aware that there may be a problem. Select only those that you need rather than getting the whole lot!

Ian
mufc57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: nuvi 310 Reply with quote

hi All yes i've fallen foul of this problem, copied the POI,s from posketgps site on to my nuvi's sd card and it crashed etc, i deleted them off again thru my computer and it worked fine, stupidly though i then downloaded them straight on to the nuvi using garmins POI loader and now it's completely stuffed, dead as a dodo, off to ring garmin tomorrow or take it back to halfords!!!! gutted though coz i think it's a great piece of kit,
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
I put quite a few POI's in but certainly not all of them. There has to be a problem of some magnitude and it would be interesting to hear what Garmin have to say about it.
They have posted a workround to try and get the Nuvi recognised by the computer but for me, it did not work. It recognised it for about ten seconds then dropped the connection. Even the Halfords Whizz kid couldn't do it in my store and he supposedly had the software that Garmin use to revive these when it happens.
I loved the clear bright display etc of the Nuvi but my TT910 replacement last night read out a text mesage to me so being a technophobe, that's me won over!
Good luck in getting it sorted.
Doug
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 660 also reads text messages.
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A working 660, that its.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one that lasts only a month - and on two occasions as well! Did love it as well. Haven't missed hormonal Jane one bit!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Are you sure? Reply with quote

Actually, I know iit spoke street names but didn't think it read out text messages. Never found that one!
mufc57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Garmin today tech support told me they would download a solution for me and it would work, and to my surprise it did, so it,s all back up and running fingers crossed, they sent an email ith 3 files zipped up about 5meg and full easy to follow instructions and it worked fine, so well done Garmin,
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us what problem it fixed and the gist of what they said to do? Might help someone else.
bluka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufc57,

you were lucky! I got three files from Garmin (I had to ask for them) which basically replace the system software. This seems to be the solution when the unit says 'system software missing' or something like. Using the files and instructions Garmin send is very easy but certainly didn't work for me. It seems the 'loading maps' problem is not system software missing so does this mean they have a new set of files that resolves the 'loading maps'?.

With your install to sd card doing this and the unit recovering when you removed it, I'm now thinking that the file the poiloader creates (can't remember the extension .gpi ?) is corrupt or too big and the system fails whilst trying to open it. If we could get to the file on a failed unit we could test this, but unfortunately the pc connection stops with the unit failure so it's a bit difficult! And I'm not volunteering my new nuvi as a guinea pig!!

Ian
mufc57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically garmin emailed me three files, the first was the latest set of usb drivers which you run first, then the next 2 files were called replacement_software.rgn and finally the updater application, first install the usb drivers, then have your usb cable already plugged in to the computer, then press the power on button keep it pressed so it goes into pre-boot mode then drag the replacement_software file on to tne updater application it starts a little programme which sends it back to it,s original state you can see the progress bar as it updates, disconnect from comp turn off and back on and it,s done. i had installed a lot of POI,s i think something like 78000, but i still think it can't cope with them coz i had the latest software version 3.5 on mine and it's supposed to handle 100,000 by the way if you turn your garmin on keeping the button pressed and keep your finger on the bottom left corner of the screen it brings up starting in "maintenance mode" may be useful to someone more "techy" than me. hope this all helps
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Glad it sorted your problem. It still doesn't sort the "loading maps" one though. Have emailed Garmin for an explanation. Let you know if I get a reply.
Doug
dazpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unhappy to know that I'm not alone in this problem, but happy that to know that there is a solution out there!
I downloaded the PGPS POI and SCDB onto my SD card yesterday and loaded onto my nuvi, no problem, added a few more POI files and downloaded directly onto my nuvi via USB cable (after all, there's nothing in the instruction manual telling you NOT to do this) and the nuvi is dead!
Just found this forum this morning, and I feel a little better now.
Started up the nuvi in maintainance mode but can't find anything to restore the unit with.
My PC doesn't recognise the nuvi, so I can't even delete any offending POI's and the nuvi still can't get past the 'loading maps' screen.
Does MUFC 57 or anyone else that has used this solution still have copies of the update software that Garmin sent to them?
My understanding was that the nuvi could handle a large quantity of POI's
including third party files, why such a huge problem arising from this I don't understand?
If anyone has any further help, I would be very grateful.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: