Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others)....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others)....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others).... Reply with quote

Depending on your Nuvi, there may well be a new traffic update available, as listed:

For Nuvi 3x0, WebUpdater should be able to find a new GTM (v3.90, compared to the previous v3.70) - I haven't seen the changes list yet though (if someone can get the changes list out of WebUpdater, please publish it here).

For Nuvi 6x0, there is a new unit firmware (v3.20), which includes "New Traffic Interface" - again, I haven't seen what the new interface looks like, but would be interested to see a screen shotif someone can provide it...

Please remember to take a full backup before applying firmware updates, and I personally would recommend not using WebUpdater for the full unit firmware (although it's normally fine for GTM and GPS updates).
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve just downloaded and confirm there are no update notes that show in Webupdater.

When I go to System / About the version info still shows 3.70 for the GTM SW version. I went back to the webupdater and the update to 3.90 had disappeared so I assume it copied ok to my Nuvi. Can anyone else confirm that 3.90 does display in the settings screen.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve just downloaded and confirm there are no update notes that show in Webupdater.

When I go to System / About the version info still shows 3.70 for the GTM SW version. I went back to the webupdater and the update to 3.90 had disappeared so I assume it copied ok to my Nuvi. Can anyone else confirm that 3.90 does display in the settings screen.
BoutTime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others).... Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Please remember to take a full backup before applying firmware updates, and I personally would recommend not using WebUpdater for the full unit firmware (although it's normally fine for GTM and GPS updates).

Hi, Can you tell me the best way to Back-up the software? Also wht wouldn't you recommend the WebUpdater for updating the Unit software? I updated to the latest version last week and my 360T started misbehaving. The map freezes when it gets dark!
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic update happens the first time you put the 660 into the car mount, at least mine did. As far as I can tell there's no improvement in reception. The difference in the traffic interface is that you now see a map with all traffic problems on it, which you have to tap to identify. You no longer get a page listing of traffic incidents. To my mind that's a backward step.
BoutTime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is a backwards step. I'm having to re-install the existing software as I'm trying to fix my bluetooth so I'll try not to update the GTM software.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Two traffic updates for Nuvi (and possible others).... Reply with quote

BoutTime wrote:
Hi, Can you tell me the best way to Back-up the software?
Connect the Nuvi to your PC. Then take a copy (don't drag and drop - select all, select copy, and then somewhere on your hard disk select paste). However, this will be somewhere in the region of 1.5Gb of data (but that large map file is the one file you can't replace if it corrupts, so well worth having 1 copy on your HD). Also, you need to ensure Windows Explorer is set to show all files (including hidden files) as there is normally 1 hidden file on the Nuvi, which is best to backup too.

Quote:
Also wht wouldn't you recommend the WebUpdater for updating the Unit software?
The WebUpdater downloads the firmware file and once the download finishes, it applies the update. If the download broke, and only half downloaded, WebUpdater would still try to apply it. As such, any corruption in the file results in the unit not working. The latest version(s) of WebUpdater are much better at detecting both the size of the download, and the latest version may even be able to detect corruption within the file.

However, the manual method involves downloading a ZIP compressed file, if there is not a complete file, or any corruption, the file will fail to create the firmware file well before it's even thought of sending the file to the Nuvi. As such, it's a safer way of doing it. For those of us who have offered support to others throughout the "dodgy" WebUpdater versions it's safer to advise against it (especially as I have no way of knowing whether the user is using the latest version or not).

Quote:
I updated to the latest version last week and my 360T started misbehaving. The map freezes when it gets dark!
Indeed, I read about that, but can't provide any help. It may well need to go back to Garmin for replacing, or you may find applying an old firmware and reapplying the latest firmware (manually!) helps.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, because the "other" updates WebUpdater offers cannot prevent the unit from booting up (and are much smaller files, which means less chance the download will have problems in the first place), it's safer to use WebUpdater for these, as there are techniques for reinstalling these updates if they fail.

With the main unit firmware, if it is a corrupt file, the unit will no longer boot, and suddenly you're only option is to send back to Garmin for replacement / repair (there are a couple of tricks that can be tried, but they are not guaranteed).
BoutTime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. The webupdater I am using appears to check for the latest version of itself before downloading any firmware updates. So I'm hoping that this hasn't been the cause of my unit freezing. It may well be fixed now, I haven't used it at night recently.
With regards to reverting back to the previous firmware release, I figured that might work but had no back up so didn't think it would be possible.
That aside I'm really pleased with the unit except for the bluetooth not working every now and then. It fails to connect to my phone and then disables it's own Bluetooth. Then I can't connect. I've found a solution although I'd rather prevent the problem than just cure it. Anyhow, I go into the hidden menu, scroll to the bluetooth page and press update. This worked a treat unlike the usual hard and soft resets recommended by Garmin.
Thanks again!
leehenty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other changes with this update seem to be:-

Traffic Provider List shows FM frequency for some frequencies and others show TM TMC still. At least with the frequency you know what station the data is being pick up ie local or national (Classic FM)

Also, within the diagnostics menu, under GTM Status, the Level showing against the tuned channel has gone up significantly. Before I was getting a level of between 8 - 10 and now I am getting a level of around 35 (a significant increase). The CC, SID & LTN have not changed.
leehenty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the new interface to the traffic as at least you can see where the traffic is without having to select the item and then select show. At least with the new interface, everything is on the map - when you select the details button it goes to the nearest traffic issue to your location. You are then able to scroll through the different traffic issues (where the map changes) and if you want to find out more about the one you have selected, just select the traffic text and it gives you:-

Traffic status colour
Road
Start
End
Description

Also, have been picking up a better traffic signal and getting data a lot more. Will try out when driving again tomorrow to see if it has been improved with the signal reception levels increased through the update.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the improved traffic reception is the result of the v3.90 GTM firmware update, and not the changes to the main unit firmware. Which is good for Nuvi 3x0 users, as the GTM firmware is available to them too.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and indeed, this morning, the traffic "felt" a little better...
BoutTime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated GTM to 3.90 and I still have the old interface. Not that I'm bothered.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running GTM ver 3.90 too but have noticed no real difference other than an increase in signal strength on the diagnostics screen (Nuvi 310). On pressing the blue traffic info I get the list of hotspots and have to touch each one to see the map. It would appear that the Nuvi 6X0 range has changed to show the map first.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: