Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is this the best option - advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the best option - advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Is this the best option - advice please Reply with quote

I'm a newbiw and recently purchased 2210 PDA with TT3 and a Haicom CF GPS - works v. well in car, except for concerns on the Seicom mount running a tad war, but thats another matter.

I'm interested in loading up some OS maps, we (the family) don't walk 'seriously', we take the dogs out, we go for what the serious hikers would probably term strolls!!

What I beleive I need is :-

Ability to track where we are

Possibly show a planned route

Doesn't seem a major set of requirements, but i've no doubt I'll be wanting to use all the features of the mapping.

So I think Fugawi will do what I want, but I'd like to know:-

Will It do the above

I assume it 'stands alone' from TT3, anything I need to know re conflicts or can I switch from one to t'other easily.

How much mapping can you transfer to a card on the PDA, what space does it occupy because.....

We're going to Scotland on hols, would like to use it there but won't have a PC with me so it has to be preloaded.

Lastly one snag is possibly where I live, just south of the Humber so I seem to be on a join of CD's!! Also holiday is near Oban - another join of CD's? So its looking like the full UK set is the best option as we tend to go both North and south of where we live Or is another package better, bearing in mind cost? Or should I just not bother and stick to paper!!

Here's hoping you can advise me.

Rod
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 3 options to choose from, Fugawi, Memory-Map and Anquet.

All of these will fulfil your basic requirements. The next factor is cost, and additional functionality. When using the OS mapping data MM and Anquet have the edge over Fugawi, as they both include 3D mapping (on the PC). So what you say? Well once you have seen it you will know why.

Both Anquet and MM also sell "walking" map areas. 1:25k maps for certain areas. You might want to try this as an option for your holiday maps if the region you are going to is covered.
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. I agree with MikeB. I have not used Anquet but I have used Fugawi and Memory-Map and I would recommend go for Memory-Map.

For me Memory-Map is Superior in at least three important ways

1. In Memory-Map it is a lot easier to select just the map portion to down load from your PC to your PDA for your planned trip than, for instance there's no 1600 km sq limitation - if you cycle 40 km x 40 km can be too small.

2. In Fugawi it is imposable to edit a route on you PDA. In Memory-Map you can insert delete and dynamically move (adjacent legs of route rubber-band) way-points on you PDA.

3. Support calls logged with Fugawi were never really answered by anyone interested in my problems and it took 3-4 weeks to reply

Also Memorey-Map also has nice long-section or profile feature on you PDA. these can show you the gradient and altitude of you planned route and the speed of you recorded Track ( what you GPS saw). I love this feature when I try to top my max speed on my bike.

OK you might not need some of these feature for you short walks but you never know when you get out there with your GPS you might want to try something more adventurous.

Anquet - from what I have read sounds like a good contender for you if you don't want Memory-Map, but I would keep clear of Fugawi
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MikeB and TC.

I'm now investigating anquet and Memeory Map, watch for the posts in those Forums Wink

Last quickie - read in these forums (they're great by the way MikeB) some people have had problems with Tom Tom when using other mapping. Any advice here, as I'd probably be switching between TT3 and Anquet/Memeory Map?

Thank

Rod
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT3 and other GPS app issues were only if you were using BT GPS. These have now been resolved with the latest (3.03) version of TomTom Navigator.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the observations so far. Fugawi is only average and support is poor. Memory Map is probably the best but is the most expensive. Anquet is British, better than Fugawi and support excellent. Those of us who have bought Anquet also believe that the product will develop although currently it is behind MM.

Fugawi impose the O.S. (?) limits of area of map downloaded by software - ie you can''t download over that area. Anquet limit it only by license.

I also run TT and Anquet/Fugawi on Dell with a CF GPS ( Holux in my case) and it all works well BUT if they are both running in memory then one will grab the GPS and the other can't get at it. This can be overcome in one of two ways; either exit the program and remove that program from memory, at which point it releases the GPS or alternatively buy a piece of software which provides two VIRTUAL GPS sources from one physical GPS signal. I have seen it but not trried this myself. Other , more knowledgeable people may comment on this.
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again many thanks for the guidance (pun not intended!!).

I shall study both products and count the pennies in my piggy bank.

Rod

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: