Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Erroneous Warning When En-Route.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Erroneous Warning When En-Route.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Erroneous Warning When En-Route. Reply with quote

Could someone please do a demo route for me and explain the following.

South bound on the A1, near to Morpeth in Northumberland (70mph limit) and he PGPSW databaseslip shows a mobile camera "Mobile:21596@30" on the slip road from Morpeth as it approaches the A1.

With my device set to "Warn Only When On Route" it should ignore that camera but actually gives an alert.

Why is this? Is it a database error or have I set something up wrongly? I only have the PGPSW database installed.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shows as being about 150 yards from the A1. Usually this is enough to escape the 'acceptance angle'.

It could be that as the software locks to the road, the A1 on the Device may be drawn sveral yards to the SW. If this is the case, and if the true distance is reduced to 75 yards this might be enough to trigger the warning.

Does it also Warn if you travel from the South?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is also detected when travelling on the A1 from the South even with "Warn only When On Route" selected. It is in fact quite some way off route.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fault that occurs when the camera location is not placed on a road.
This camera is not on a Garmin road, it is 27 to 30 feet from any road so you unit does as mine does - it gives me a warning!

The database can easily be updated in the next 2 weeks if you visit the location and give an exact 'fix' and submit it!

I had two similar oroblems on the M4.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen lots of examples of this on the M4, where mobile locations on the roundabout at the end of the slip-road trigger alerts when driving on the main motorway.

If you go to "Browse map..." and tap the main motorway at or near one of these junctions, (so the road is highlighted), you will see that the slip road also gets selected, so the unit is seeing them both as part of the route.

It seems to happen to me more than it used to, so I blamed recent software revisions; but it could actually have been a "feature" all along, and I only noticed it when I increased the warning distances for mobile sites.
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble wrote:
The database can easily be updated in the next 2 weeks if you visit the location and give an exact 'fix' and submit it!

I'll do that asap but it won't be until I come back from a sunnier climate in a couple of weeks time so I will miss the next deadline.

I presume then that the original notified location was erroneous in not being located at the roadside.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't help. If you read my previous post, if the map says the slip road is part of "the route", moving the camera slightly will make no difference.
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I understand how it's happening.

However, this is an entry slip road, not an exit so it could never be part of anyones route on the A1.

It's a slip road that I never ever use so MY only answer, to stop the erroneous warning, would be to deleat it from my device. I presume that the problem is not with the PGPSW database (in which case they could fix it) but with the mapping details.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjandar wrote:

However, this is an entry slip road, not an exit so it could never be part of anyones route on the A1.

Quite agree....
I wasn't saying it should be like that, just that it was! :D

Before you delete it, though; consider just ignoring it, or if you drive down the M4 much, you'll be deleting loads of them!
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Erroneous Warning When En-Route. Reply with quote

mjandar wrote:

South bound on the A1, near to Morpeth in Northumberland (70mph limit) and he PGPSW databaseslip shows a mobile camera "Mobile:21596@30" on the slip road from Morpeth as it approaches the A1.

With my device set to "Warn Only When On Route" it should ignore that camera but actually gives an alert.

I repeat that your unit is seeing it and warning you because it is not on any road!
I would ask MaFt that as an experiment he tries moving the camera to
N55.13969 W1.68289
to see if the problem is corrected after the next database.

After all it is an entry only onto the A1 so cannot technically be on the route!
This fault was the same as corrected by Oldie/MaFt for me on the M4 East J41 at Port Talbort and is a different problem to when there a spurious camera on an Exit!

Notice the 28feet from any road on Garmin software.

I've got my apologies ready, Andy_P2002 and mjandar! :D
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth a try. Strumbles co-ordinates of N55.13969 W1.68289 look more accurate to me and if it doesn't work nothing would be lost but we all just might learn something.

Spot on accuracy in our (PGPSW) database is worth striving for so, even if errors are only corrected one at a time, eventually ..............

So how do I get this request/suggestion through to MaFt?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Erroneous Warning When En-Route. Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

I would ask MaFt that as an experiment he tries moving the camera to
N55.13969 W1.68289
to see if the problem is corrected after the next database.

No need to wait for MaFt, its only a POI entry, you can easily move it yourself (well you can on a TomTom anyway).

Anyway, just to muddy the water a bit more, I finally got round to looking at this actual position, and I cannot make this camera position fire an alert if I do a demo route down the A1. I even tried seting the alert distance to 999yards for 30mph Mobiles.
So this is a different problem to the one I mentioned above, where a slip road and roundabout show as part of the main road when selected.

Finally, strumble: on my TT map (v660.1219), that camera IS on the road! There have been reports before that there are inconsistencies between Lat/Long locations between different manufacturers units.
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjandar what unit are you using?
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT700 5.201
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done it in demo mode again - travelling North toSouth on A1 - and using 2D map.

The warning fires when I am exactly opposite the camera although the camera itself is quite some distance away. I have my warning distance set at 599 yards for a mobile @30.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: