Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - voice alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

voice alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dano60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: voice alerts Reply with quote

i have a tt300 device AK*** BA*** APP 6.520 29 MB RAM FREE 6.6 MB
GPS v1.21,BOOT 4.86 GB MAP v605.0. I HAVE DOWNLOADED SPEED CAMERAS AND VOICES INTO GB MAP I CAN HEAR VOICE ALERTS IE; GATSO 40 WHEN I CLICK ON THEM IN GB MAP BUT NO VOICES WHEN DRIVING HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING OUT SHOULD I HAVE VOICES FROM POCKETGPS, IN POI STILL POLITE ,BELL.ETC I COULD DO WITH AN IDIOT CARD . HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP NOT ONLY NEWBIE BUT NOT TO COMPUTER LITERATE .
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you must have the ogg Files in the Map Folder Exclamation as you can 'hear them'. If not, which File are you clicking to 'hear it'?

If you set up Warn When Near when the ogg Files are in place, are you asked to select a Warning Sound? If so, then you haven't named the Files correctly.

Check that they are named exatly as the POI Filename, and also that they haven't got a double ogg extension. Filename.ogg.ogg

Can you see all File extensions in Windows Explorer?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dano60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: voice alerts Reply with quote

if i set up warn when near i get polite,bells etc. dont know where filenames are to check double .ogg .ogg can't find file extensions in int.expl seem to be in a pickle.i would like to delete all in my gb map and start again but scared of deleting soething i shouldn't. in gb map i must have erred i have files with weird squiggles under them which i cannot delete. about to give up can't get my head round it but thanks for your help and advice.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets take it slowly Apologies if any of this is too basic, but difficult to know at what level to pitch it...

First, DON'T delete anything in your map folder until you know exactly what you are doing.

Second, you need to set up and useWindows Explorer (not Internet Explorer!) to see the files and folders on your Go. If you haven't used it before find it on the Start menu / Programs / Accessories.
Once it is running, go to TOOLS / FOLDER OPTIONS / VIEW Tab /
In the "Advanced settings" section:-
TICK "Show hidden files and folders" and
UN-TICK "Hide extensions for known file types"

Now, you can use it to examine the files on your SD card.
Assuming you have connected the Go up to the PC via the USB cable, you should be able to find the Go as a new "Drive" on the PC (in the left-hand pane). Select it and you will see the files and folders in the right.

At this point - STOP.
Before doing anything else, now is a good time to do a backup if you haven't done one.
Select the SD card as mentioned, go to the 'Edit' menu at the top and click on 'select all' (all the files and folders in the right pane should turn grey). Then go to the 'Edit' menu again and click on 'Copy'.
Now, in the left pane go to "My Documents". Click on it. Make a new folder in My Documents by going to the menu FILE / NEW... / FOLDER. Name it something like "Latest TT backup". Double click on it to open the folder (it's empty now).
Finally go EDIT / PASTE, and the entire contents of your SD card should now be copied into that folder.
When it has finished, you can go back to looking at the Go SD card and check the contents look the same.

OK, back on course....

Looking at the Go's SD card in Windows Explorer, you should see all the files and folders.
Double click on your map folder (probably called 'Great_Britain-Map' or 'UK and IE plus major roads of WE' or similar)
Now, amongst all the other system and map files you should see any POI files that you have added, and you should now be able to see the three letter extensions on the files.
The data files for the cameras will be called things like:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ov2
etc
The picture (icon) files for them will be called:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.bmp
etc.
and the ogg files if you have added them correctly should be called:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ogg
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ogg
etc.

If they are there but the name (or extension) is wrong, just right click on each one to rename it.

Now when you go to the "warn when near" setup on the Go (for each camera type), if the names of the ogg files are correct, it will automatically realise that you want to use the ogg file and will not give you the option of the bells, whistles etc. But you still have to go through the selection process for each.

Finally whenever you want to disconnect your Go from the PC, always click on the little icon in the bottom right of the PC screen (where the clock is) first. It will say "safely remove Hardware" or "Safely remove USB mass storage device". Wait until it tells you it is OK to disconnect befeore you unplug the Go.

Hope all that gets you on your way... Come back with any more problems.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Finally whenever you want to disconnect your Go from the PC, always click on the little icon in the bottom right of the PC screen (where the clock is) first. It will say "safely remove Hardware" or "Safely remove USB mass storage device". Wait until it tells you it is OK to disconnect befeore you unplug the Go.

I personally never bother since upping to Windows XP as "them wot know" reckon it's not necessary on XP.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my set-up, Windows always looks as though it has finished, while the TT screen is still flashing. It's only a couple of clicks - better safe than sorry I reckon...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: