Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamCoupar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I purchased a garmin C310 last April and downloaded the speed cam. database from this web site. This work great. It picked up all cameras, identified the speed limit and named what type of camera. Over xmas I decided to update. The version now does not pick up all cameras and only identifies the speed limit (and not what type) on those that it does detect.

I couldnt care less about the type of camera but it does show that I must have downloaded the wrong file. In simple terms, I just need to know which of the various datbases to select to get back to the reliable database I had a month ago??

Thanks

GC
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the Speed zoned 24 file set - this gives the camera type and speed related information - Mike
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied this from the speed camera page,

Single File: Contains all the speed cameras in a single file irrespective of type. As stated above, this category contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories at time:

pocketgps_uk_sc

Consolidated by Type: Contains one file for each type of speed camera. This is just the main categories and none of the subcategories that show speed limits:

pocketgps_uk_gatso
pocketgps_uk_mobile
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs
pocketgps_uk_temp

Speed Zoned: Contains the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type. If you want the above but with subcategories of the Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS databases to show speed related cameras:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs_20
pocketgps_uk_specs_30
pocketgps_uk_specs_40
pocketgps_uk_specs_50
pocketgps_uk_specs_60
pocketgps_uk_specs_70
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba
pocketgps_uk_temp

If you downloaded loads of files, it was probably the speed zoned file, If you downloaded 5 files,it was the consolidated. Make sure you download and install ALL the files from each database, All 3 databases contain ALL the cameras, as long as you have downloaded/installed all the files from either the zoned file or the consolidated. Some people mix them up and leave mobiles out or whatever, I just use the single file, quick and easy.
GrahamCoupar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but still no joy....

Downloads still miss the vast majority of cameras.

The first time I loaded the database (April 06) I used the Camera Manager from Ash 10, which was very helpful. When I click on this icon it closes quickly and no longer appears to function.

This time I have downloaded speed zoned 24 file as you recommend (i.e. the third file shown on the list) saved to the desk top, run the Garmin POI, it tells me it has updated 23,000+ files but when you use, the vast majority of cameras are not picked up.

Any help appreciated but please in plain english - I have no knowledge or interest in databases, just a satnav that used to work perfect and is now next to useless...

GC
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamCoupar wrote:

This time I have downloaded speed zoned 24 file as you recommend (i.e. the third file shown on the list) saved to the desk top, run the Garmin POI, it tells me it has updated 23,000+ files but when you use, the vast majority of cameras are not picked up.

in your list of custom points do you have cetegories called pocketgps_xxxx etc? if not then you have not installed the camera database. you need to make sure you unzip the file that you download and put it in the same folder as any other poi's you wish to load. then run poi loader

MaFt
GrahamCoupar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have downloaded the database advised in the first reply from my posting. I get this by selecting Garmin than selecting the spped zoned 24 file. I save to desktop and then unzip (so I can see all of the files in either bmp or csv.

I then connect the sat nav to the pc which boots POI. This thinks for a miunte or so and then says congrats you have updated files (or something to that effect).

Downloaded the 24 zoned database yesterday (as recommended), went to the shops today and it completey missed two Truvelo machines that the former database I had picked up every time.

It must be something Im doing wrong but I appear to have followed your advice and still cant get reliable speed camera recognition.

Any more thoughts appreciated.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamCoupar wrote:
Yes, I have downloaded the database advised in the first reply from my posting. I get this by selecting Garmin than selecting the spped zoned 24 file. I save to desktop and then unzip (so I can see all of the files in either bmp or csv.

have you unzipped the file rather than just double clicking it? right-click it and choose 'extract all files' (or similar wording) then make sure the csv's and bmp's go in the same folder as any other poi files you have.

also, i'll ask again: in your list of custom points do you have cetegories called pocketgps_xxxx etc?

MaFt
GrahamCoupar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unzipped can see all of the files e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.bmp. I then connect to Garmin, POI loader starts, after 3 or so mins it says it has loaded x thousand of files.

But still misses 75% of cameras and only warns when entering a differing spped zone, which is of very limited value???
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamCoupar wrote:
Yes, unzipped can see all of the files e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.bmp.

Graham, this isn't what MaFt is asking you.

MaFt wrote:
also, i'll ask again: in your list of custom points do you have cetegories called pocketgps_xxxx etc?

Turn on you device. Go to the POIs (I don't have a C310 but on the i3 it's 'Where To?', 'Food, Hotels, and More', Custom Points'). If you have loaded the speed zoned files you should have 25 categories beginning pocketgps_uk_, the first of which is pocketgps_uk_gatso_20. Do these appear on your C310?
Samsung Galaxy S21
GrahamCoupar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita,

Thanks for explaining more clearly. Yes, can see all 24 files starting with 20 & ending with pocketgps-uk-temp.

Problem is though, still doesnt recognise most cameras and no longer names camera and gives a max speed (Im not at all bothered about names but it does show database loaded is not the one I have in for last 9 months that was very accurate.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Graham
GrahamCoupar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K - have to admit defeat on this, if nothing else spending too much time on this when could be doing something far more interesting.

Have followed all below (or above) advice and still misses 75% of cameras. Is there anywhere I can send the machine to have it loaded correctly??
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you based, or do you get around? (Sorry to be so personal Laughing )
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check the settings - something like Settings/Proximity Alerts. You will need to ensure the "Custom POI" option is ticked, and any "Garmin Safety Camera" option is unticked. Also, if there is an Option or Alerts option - ensure it is set to "Continuous Speed Alerts" - it sounds possibly like you are getting alerts on the Garmin sample database that might be installed, and not getting alerts on the PGPSW one....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: