Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Missing Cams on M42
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Cams on M42
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csd115
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Missing Cams on M42 Reply with quote

Hope this is the right place for this but......The latest issue of the speed camera database 11/1/2007 seems to be missing about eight sets of camras on the M42 between J7 & J3a .
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Cams on M42 Reply with quote

csd115 wrote:
Hope this is the right place for this but......The latest issue of the speed camera database 11/1/2007 seems to be missing about eight sets of camras on the M42 between J7 & J3a .

hi,

we received a list of active and empty boxes on the m42 as below:

"The following are the ones with camera on:-

GATSO3467 - Above Lane 3
GATSO13150 - Above Lane 3
GATSO3501 - Above Lane 1
GATSO3493 - Above Lane 2
GATSO11183 - Above Lane 2
GATSO3466 - Above Lane 1
GATSO3406 - Above Lane 3
GATSO3405 - Above Lane 3

Therefore the ones to be removed (empty grey boxes) are:-

GATSO3496
GATSO3506
GATSO3497
GATSO3505
GATSO3498
GATSO3504
GATSO3503
GATSO3495
GATSO3502
GATSO3494
GATSO3492
GATSO3500
GATSO3499
GATSO3491
GATSO3540
GATSO3541"

if you know otherwise please let me know

MaFt
csd115
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt
Surely the idea is to know where the grey boxes are whether there is a camera in it or not! I would imagine that someone would be moving the cameras around between boxes on that stretch of motorway. Or am I being a cynical old ....
Cheers
csd115
Andy_Summ
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Dummy Camera Boxes Reply with quote

The actual cameras are in the same position they have been in for the past 18 months since they were installed.

The actual (real) camera boxes were installed a couple of months before the dummies and if you look closely, they are a slightly different shade of grey from the extra weathering (plus they actually have equipment in the window of both the camera and separate flash unit [in fact the live flash units have a little red LED you can see from underneath]).

Only after checking them for 18 months without them moving, was when the dummy boxes were removed from the database.

Andy.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers andy,

i agree that it's better to have the locations of actual cameras - especially when they haven't changed for 18 months

MaFt
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather all the boxes were included. If a camera is not in the data base, because it is empty, I would guess most users would assume that it had not yet been submitted.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja Vu anybody 8O

To old to die young.
zort70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that I would rather have the previous list of locations that were defined.

Not having them is slightly unsettling, as I've been used to all the warnings for some time through this database and the Road Angel Navigator one which I had previously.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this incredible, you know the camera isn't at the location but you want the position(s) adding to the database so you receive a warning about a camera that is known to not exist!!
The whole idea is to accurately inform drivers as to the location of speed cameras - not dummy boxed - Mike
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if we can guarantee that the dummy boxes remain as dummies then that's OK but if not, and Mr highways agency swaps them over one day, I don't want to be the first to pass them whilst above the limit. Driving on a regular route you may well become familiar with what cameras are live or not. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I would not risk exceeding the limit past a 'box' that was not in the database whilst presuming that the reason it was missing was because it was a dummy. Surely, people who are in an unfamiliar area will continue to resubmit these missing boxes?

Either way, still a great database that I’m grateful to make use of Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rentech wrote:
Surely, people who are in an unfamiliar area will continue to resubmit these missing boxes?

Hopefully not if they have checked the location on the map on the submission page first (which they should do anyway for any submission, to get the most accurate lat/long).
There is a note there to say "please don't submit positions that already have 'greyed-out' entries, as they have been removed" or words to that effect.
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't aware of that, I'll make sure to check next time

Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this on another forum:

"I have a Bel 550 detector, and can say with confidence that of the 10 or so gantries that have cameras on them, about 4 are actually radiating."

from http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=17805

MaFt
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 - Deja Vu ? - Didn't you have that once, a while back ? Wink

On the stretch of M42 that is "Actively Traffic Managed" there are a total of 11 gantries, each of which span the whole width of the motorway, carrying Speed camera "type" boxes, over all the lanes in each direction. 4 of these locations are listed in the latest Database ( 3406, 11183, 3501, 3467 ).

Whilst I think we all agree that no-one is interested in an empty grey box, I would be very interested to know if the person that sent MaFt the "list" of live camera locations, can give any assurances that the dummy boxes will NEVER be made live ?

If there is a possibility of the camera locations being changed within the boxes, then I would like to be alerted to them all, 'cos the database won't get updated the same day the cameras are swapped around !

The Highways Agency themselves have previously STATED in an e-mail TO ME :

Quote:
As part of this ( M42 Active Traffic Management ) scheme we will be installing 8 digital enforcement cameras, in variable locations across the ATM section, as required by the police.

... although that was back in 2005 and was discussed on this thread :
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18990&highlight=

The number of cameras tallies with the info that MaFt has, but I am yet tobe convinced that the Highways Agency wil leave them all in the same place forever - Think it's time to dig out an old POI file and do some copying & pasting Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconut wrote:

Whilst I think we all agree that no-one is interested in an empty grey box, I would be very interested to know if the person that sent MaFt the "list" of live camera locations, can give any assurances that the dummy boxes will NEVER be made live ?

Andy_Summ wrote:

Only after checking them for 18 months without them moving, was when the dummy boxes were removed from the database.

they haven't moved for a year and a half. if they decided to move them it would probably take a week to get access to the cameras, physically remove them, remove temporary access from gantry, create access to new gantry, install cameras to new gantry and activate the cameras. and that assumes that all the relevant wiring etc is in pace in the new gantry - chances are it isn't... it'd be cheaper not to!

i'm pretty certain that during the relocations we would have about a hundred reports of the cameras moving - at which point i would reactivate the relevent ones in the database that are already in teh correct location for the gantries.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: