Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP Foldable keyboard for iPAQ 3850 - TTN-2 crashes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Foldable keyboard for iPAQ 3850 - TTN-2 crashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: HP Foldable keyboard for iPAQ 3850 - TTN-2 crashes Reply with quote

Since installing the driver for this keyboard, I cannot run TTN-2 - it crashes during program load, even after disabling the keyboard driver and rebooting.

Anyone found a way around this please? (have also asked TomTom via their website - will update here if I get an answer first).

Regards,

PeteB
Luton, UK
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original HP/Targus Stowaway keyboard and have had no problems on my 3870 with TTN2. Providing the keyboard driver is disabled make sure the Enabled Keyboard is unchecked and also the one called hot-dock is also disabled. You should then be okay.

I am only running with the original driver, so there maybe a newer driver with your keyboard that is causing a problem.
PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. This is a different design keyboard from the Targus (slides out in 3 sections, rather than the W design, and probably has a different driver. The only two driver options are "Enable Jeyboard" and "Enable sound" checkboxes.

Interestingly, I CAN load the TomTom GPS Status function (on its own), and can get a fix. It's 'just' the TTN-2 application that crashes.

The message I get when trying to start TomTom Navigator 2 is - "Fatal Application Error". "Application TomTom Navigator.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

"Program: TomTom Navigator.exe
Exception 0xc0000005
Address: 000b2c6c"
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I don't think it's the keyboard driver, if the keyboard driver were to interfere it would do so on the GPS Status screen which it doesn't appear to be doing.

Several things can cause TTN2 to GPF like this on startup, one can be too many POI's or a corrupted POI file (OV2) in the country map directory on your storage card, or a corrupted TTN2 file.

I suspect that if you uninstalled the keyboard driver and soft reset, then you still have the same problem ? If so, it's definately something else causing this problem and not the keyboard driver. I think it's just a co-incidence that it started happening around the same time.

You may want to check your storage card for errors and fix these, and if you have downloaded a lot of POI's, to temporarily delete all of these and see if it gets you back up and running.

Basically all TTN2 does on startup is to load the maps, and associated POI's that have been enabled from the storage card and invoke the GPS Status driver to start acquiring a fix.
PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed - I deleted a recently added POI file (a quite large one) and that's solved the problem. I must say though, it's disappointing that the software crashes instead of trapping the problem and reporting a meaningful error message. It's one of the very first things a programmer is taught!

Many thanks for your help.

PeteB
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's a problem that TomTom have been aware of for at least 6 months, if not longer but still haven't got round to fixing yet.

Some people get this more than others, and I think it's more down to the available memory you have on the Pocket PC. Where I have a lot of apps installed for testing most of GPS software, I tend to get the error quite quickly, but some don't see it until they hit about 20 different POI's (OV2) files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: