Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile camera updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile camera updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveWed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Mobile camera updates Reply with quote

When are the mobile camera locations updated for South Wales? This info comes (I believe) from the police so I wouldn't want to be doing my updates on a Sunday if the locations are updated on this site on a Monday. So far one week of Tom Tom use and not one mobile camera found but dozens of warnings.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, please only submit sites where you have seen a mobile camera.

the mobile warnings are just that - warnings. they warn you that there has been a mobile camera there before and may be again (obviously depending on the time of day/month/year etc.).

Thanks

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile camera updates Reply with quote

DaveWed wrote:
When are the mobile camera locations updated for South Wales? This info comes (I believe) from the police so I wouldn't want to be doing my updates on a Sunday if the locations are updated on this site on a Monday.

The camera database from this site is updated for ALL areas and ALL camera types when pgpsw team finds they have enough to make a new update worthwhile doing - recently they've been coming out just about every couple of weeks (five updates November to December).
As far as I'm aware, they do NOT use info from the police, but from members' submissions. Submissions do have to be checked, so anybody submits a new camera (whether mobile or fixed) today, it won't get into the database until somebody else checks it for accuracy. If you look to the left of this page, you'll see an entry "Submit Cameras" which takes you to a page where you can enter details to send in yourself. One advantage of sending in submissions is that your submission may give exactly the same details as someone else, thereby reducing the need for pgpsw Team to send somebody out to check it - half a dozen of such duplicate submissions could confirm it instead of waiting for pgpsw Team to go out there. The impression I get is that there are now an awful lot of members out there (145,000 - I've just looked at front page!), so chances are most new cameras will get several reports. Another advantage is that if you are the first member to submit a new fixed (not mobile though) camera, when it's confirmed you would be awarded a free lifetime membership.
I haven't seen the mobile vans in S. Wales for ages - but I wouldn't drive under the Magor junction at 90mph for all the tea in China!! There was a post last week from somebody who had been getting warnings for ages over by Swansea with never a camera in sight, then he saw a van exactly where the warning said so. Mobiles are just that - they're out to get you if you're speeding, so go ahead, feel paranoid!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also confirm these mobile sites are spread pretty thinly and visited rarely by a van. I travel through one mornign and evening on my commute to the station and I have seen it once in 3 years.

I suspect they have to visit every X months (no idea what X is) in order to keep the signs there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: