Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map v715, Swansea centre
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map v715, Swansea centre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: New Map v715, Swansea centre Reply with quote

Can anyone who has a copy of map 715 please tell me if The Kingsway, Swansea still has a roundabout at either end, or whether it shows the new (ie 15 months old) one way system where traffic can only travel from east to west and the roundabouts have been replaced by junctions with traffic lights
TIA
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows as roundabouts each end but one way westbound due to a Mapshare correction.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. The mapshare correction is probably what I sent in, but I could not get it completely correct because I can not make all the changes. Probably not worth my buying 715 then!
Robin
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Shows as roundabouts each end but one way westbound due to a Mapshare correction.

How do you see/tell what constitutes a Map Share correction form others Andy?

Simple way to tell, or is it more convoluted trial and error of your own maps?

I've always been curious about how you "see" mapshare corrections pointed out accordingly.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Thanks Andy. The mapshare correction is probably what I sent in, but I could not get it completely correct because I can not make all the changes. Probably not worth my buying 715 then!
Robin

I have visited Swansea twice in the last 30 days and now understand the new Kingsway system [its not on my Garmin software]. It appears to be a permanent traffic jam - Station to Quadrant CarPark!

As you appear to be Swansea based, why
Quote:
'Probably not worth my buying 715 then'

As a visitor to Swansea, the Kingsway is now unimportant [as I know the layout] and is not a reason for not buying 715 or Garmin CityNavigator v10 [2008].

Will any new software/GPS units cope with those bus lanes and one way systems?? Very Happy

Perhaps it was designed to keep visitors [like me] out in FforestFach or ParcTawe! Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

All I do is switch on and off the corrections in Main menu p2 / Map Corrections / Correction Preferences.

I normally have ALL the "trust" options ticked, and when I looked, The Kingsway in Swansea looked like this:

Obviously there was something weird there as the one-way arrows were on the wrong side of the street for a normal road!

So, I went to the Map Share Preferences and turned them ALL off.
Now it looks like this:

So that's what it looked like originally.

The corrected version (even with the anti-clockwise arrow round the roundabout!) is the best you can do, without being able to actually remove the roundabouts in MapShare.

By ticking just SOME of the boxes, you can tell if a correction you've made yourself is just on your unit ("use corrections I made myself") or if it has "come back" as a correction from TT.
The only annoyance being that once you've changed the tick boxes, you have to go through about four more pages to get out of the menu every time!
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously there was something weird there as the one-way arrows were on the wrong side of the street for a normal road!

As a visitor - That is the correct layout that I remember!
Well done Robin2 and Andy Very Happy
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

All I do is switch on and off the corrections in Main menu p2 / Map Corrections / Correction Preferences.

I normally have ALL the "trust" options ticked, and when I looked, The Kingsway in Swansea looked like this:

So, I went to the Map Share Preferences and turned them ALL off.
Now it looks like this:

So that's what it looked like originally.

The corrected version (even with the anti-clockwise arrow round the roundabout!) is the best you can do, without being able to actually remove the roundabouts in MapShare.

By ticking just SOME of the boxes, you can tell if a correction you've made yourself is just on your unit ("use corrections I made myself") or if it has "come back" as a correction from TT.
The only annoyance being that once you've changed the tick boxes, you have to go through about four more pages to get out of the menu every time!

The upper screenshot looks like the changes I made using Mapshare. You can now only drive on the northern carriageway, as the southern one is reserved for bendy buses (which are still not running, and won't go anywhere useful when they do!). There are no longer roundabouts at either end of the road, and not all turns are allowed, though map share does not allow these restrictions. As you say, the best I could do was to make the traffic appear to go the wrong way round the roundabout, though in fact the traffic now goes straight across the middle.

I had hoped that a corrected version would at last be available, as routes I use when going to roads I don't know sometimes take ridiculous paths if they go anywhere near the city centre - obviously not all my mapshare corrections are working properly. One of the problems I experienced was that when a road is broken up into very small sections, sometimes TT will not route across the join between two sections, even though the line on the map looks continuous.

Robin
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Mega thanks - that's exactly the answer I was needing, and just what i was missing.

Spot on, cheers mate - was previously worried that if i untick, they are lost for good - never realised I can tick and untick as i wish, with no lasting loss.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To REMOVE them permanently, you do it in Home:
Tools / Mapshare / Remove corrections.

You can remove all your own, all downloaded ones, or both.
That's what I've had to do in the past to "bump start" getting the corrections downloading again when they've stopped for some reason.

So I keep any corrections I've made myself in a POI category too, so I can re-do them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: