Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom5 and ipaq 4150 help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom5 and ipaq 4150 help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeLmedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: tomtom5 and ipaq 4150 help Reply with quote

Hi - I need some help please, I have search the forums but have been anable to find an answer?

I have a HP Ipaq PDA running the latest version of TomTom5. I have been using it with a bluetooth Navman GPS reciver for a while and everything was fine.

I need to go to a wired recived and picked up a Fortuna Reciver. Unfortunatly I can not get the PDA to recognise the reciver. I have changed the settings but when I run TOMTOM it tells me that it can not detect a device.

I have tried to connect it through a cradle and directaly through the connection on the bottom of the PDA. I have also tried the GPS gate programme and that can not detect the device. The yellow/white circle does not spin at all. I have left it for about an hour by the window.

I have turned off the bluetooth and infra-red functions and tried the whole setup with another wired GPS but get the same result.

Someone told me that the Ipaq 4150 has a problem with the activesync programme and the serial port - has anyone heard of this?

Any help would be great,
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - a couple of things to try..

First

When you go to the TT GPS set up and configure the GPS you should choose "Other NMEA device" select 4800 baud and then look at list of serial ports offered. 4800 is important - it's the default speed for NMEA devices and I would expect any GPS unit transmitting NMEA to use this speed.

You should see "Serial on COM1:" as one option. If you see something like that but with ?? characters in with it (or even Russian Cyrillic chars) then you have a corrupted registry entry. I know this happens on DELL AXIM units (I have one and it did!) You will need to load a registry editor app. I use PHM reg edit and you need to edit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Builtin\Serial where item
FriendlyName needs to be "Serial on COM1:" (without quotes).

Soft reset and retry.

Second...

make sure the serial cable you have is correct. Most PDA serial cables expect to terminate at a PC (for synching etc). Most GPS serial cables expect to terminate at a PC (for data transfer). Neither will work plugged into each other as the transmit and receive pins don't link correctly. You end up with transmit on PDA connecting to transmit on GPS and same with recieve. You will (at the very least) need to swap over the two pins at one end of the cable. On a 9pin D connector these would be pins 2 and three. It's usually simpler to buy a specific cable designed for the job of connecting your GPS to your PDA. Have a look on the web for suppliers - plenty about.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: