Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 660 POI Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

660 POI Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Swing.. I have lots of Locatio.n and Minor.ve artNumbe.r0 items which dont make sense. I cannot get a screenshot to post in here to show you. Unless its easy and I cannot see it.
Regards
Ala
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daps wrote:
swing wrote:
benjones wrote:
What files/directory should I look at to check?
Via explorer look at the \Garmin\gpx directory - if there are lots of strange entries in there, there is potentially a corrupt directory - if there are just just 1 or 2 normal files, it's fine.

I've got 62 entries in my gpx directory.. would you class that as strange?
I havnt D/L MaFt's POI's on my replacement set in case I crash/freeze it again. I did email Garmin about a problem but not so much as an acknowledgement yet.
Alan

Hi all,

I've just checked my 660 & glad to report that it's only got the file current.gpx in the \Garmin\Gpx Directory.

Does that mean, that I should be able to load on POI's without any problems?

Many thanks

MarkieT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
benjones wrote:
I'm going to take it back to Halfords now as I don't think it's recoverable. Do you think the cause of this was uploading more than 85 sub-categories?

could just be coincidence as i've had all the available poi's installed and working on the nuvi 360, and mikealder has had the same on his nuvi.

i can't see the limit reappearing on the nuvi 660 when it is basically an upgraded 360

MaFt

Sorry about this, but could some one please explain this point about
"I can't see the limit reappearing",
I think I've missed some info somewere. I have a Nuvi 350, loaded with latest Ver 4.3, and using POI loader 2400 Beta. When I tried loading the POI's form PGPSW POI database I got a error Msg of to many Sub Catagories?????
Thanks for your help in advance :D
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daps wrote:
Thanks for that Swing.. I have lots of Locatio.n and Minor.ve artNumbe.r0 items which dont make sense. I cannot get a screenshot to post in here to show you. Unless its easy and I cannot see it.
Yes, it would appear you have a 660 suffering with the corrupt directory problem. Please contact Garmin for advice on how to fix (and let us know what they say).

MarkieT - sounds like yours is okay - was yours brand new with v2.70 already loaded into it? When was it bought?

Yes, you should be able to load the POIs onto it - possibly everyone can, and the directory corruption isn't linked to the problem, especially as I've now heard of the POI categories breaking a 3x0 Nuvi too. However, I think (at the moment) if you try to load too many POIs / too many categories, you risk a problem.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:

Sorry about this, but could some one please explain this point about
"I can't see the limit reappearing",

i meant that we've not hit a limit for the number of poi's on the nuvi 3xx series so i doubt that they would add a limit to the 6xx series as they are essentially an upgraded version of the 3xx.

Curious wrote:

I think I've missed some info somewere. I have a Nuvi 350, loaded with latest Ver 4.3, and using POI loader 2400 Beta. When I tried loading the POI's form PGPSW POI database I got a error Msg of to many Sub Catagories?????
Thanks for your help in advance :D

sub categories in poi loader beta are different. poi loader beta uses sub-folders with csv files in it as sub-categories. please make sure you don't have too many sub-folcers with csv files in them in your poi directory.

MaFt
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
daps wrote:
Yes, it would appear you have a 660 suffering with the corrupt directory problem. Please contact Garmin for advice on how to fix (and let us know what they say).

I've spoken to Garmin... He's done a few tests from there end and says it looks like a problem at MaFt's end and advised me not to D/L from that MaFt link until its sorted. What I couldnt get through to him was that I had a replacement unit and hadnt D/L anything other than Garmin Speed Cams and the file looks corrupt. Left it with him for further investigation, although I think I'm banging my head againt a brick wall. Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daps wrote:

I've spoken to Garmin... He's done a few tests from there end and says it looks like a problem at MaFt's end and advised me not to D/L from that MaFt link until its sorted. What I couldnt get through to him was that I had a replacement unit and hadnt D/L anything other than Garmin Speed Cams and the file looks corrupt. Left it with him for further investigation, although I think I'm banging my head againt a brick wall. Confused

i presume he's not actually looked at my site then??! typical customer service operator putting the blame elsewhere...
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

I
i presume he's not actually looked at my site then??! typical customer service operator putting the blame elsewhere...

You're correct, I had to give him the Garmin link to your site.
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt for helping me understand better about the category / sub-category thing.
Also many thanks for all your hard work on the POI's :D
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daps wrote:
says it looks like a problem at MaFt's end and advised me not to D/L from that MaFt link until its sorted.
But there's nothing wrong with MaFt's download (from his site) - it was the download from the PGPSW POI site that caused the problem (wasn't it)??
Quote:
What I couldnt get through to him was that I had a replacement unit and hadnt D/L anything other than Garmin Speed Cams and the file looks corrupt.
The directory corruption is not caused by either MaFt's or PGPSW's POI - it's already there. I think you may have confused the Garmin techie by discussing these two points together - although it's possible the crash of the unit was not helped by the corruption, there are two distinct problems here - the corrupt directory (units have shipped with this from Garmin) and too many POIs / sub-categories causing the unit to fail to boot (and not be recoverable).
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:

MarkieT - sounds like yours is okay - was yours brand new with v2.70 already loaded into it? When was it bought?

Hi Swing,

Yes I only bought it New Years Eve & yes it came with v2.70 already loaded!!!

Not loaded any Speed Camera's onto the unit as yet, but have loaded around 33k of POI's from this site, & everything worked ok

Oh & I decided to load them straight onto the Unit instead of onto a Memory Card, all ok. :-)

Thanks all for you advise.

Cheers

MarkieT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daps wrote:
MaFt wrote:

I

You're correct, I had to give him the Garmin link to your site.

even though there's a link on their site to it ;)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another thread on here regarding the POI problem - apparently one suggestion is to simply leave the unit - the person said it took 2-3 minutes on the first bootup, but has been quicker ever since (makes sense from my understanding of how the Garmin file structure works).

Failing that, if the unit is completely stuck, I might have an idea of something that may fix the problem, but would prefer to see people try the above fix first.
Louie7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Nuvi POI Problems Reply with quote

I have been reading the forum with interest on the problems some owners of the Nuvi 660 have been experiencing with their units and hope my experience with my Nuvi 610 will be of interest if not helpful.

I purchased a new Garmin Nuvi 610 just before Christmas, which as it turned out had corrupt files in the Garmin folder. I only found out about the problem when I connected the 610 to the Garmin web site in order to update the software from v2.30 to 2.70. The automatic update failed and so did trying to carry out the update manually by downloading v2.70 to my PC and carrying out a local update.

Fortunately before trying to update my 610 I had taken a complete backup of my 610 files by connecting it to my PC via the USB connection and copying all the files and folders to my PC, which I then burned to CD. By the way, one of the files is a hidden file, so if you decide to backup the files from your Nuvi, you need to make sure Explorer has show System and Hidden files switched on.

It turned out I had 3 corrupt files which would not delete when I tried to remove them with Windows Explorer. Although it appeared the files had been deleted, when I exited the folder and re-entered it again, the file names reappeared, but with a file length of 0 bytes. Even using a file unlocking utility "Process Explorer" which goes down to file handle level I still was unable to remove the file names. As the Garmin 610 is effectively a drive when connected to the PC, I decide to perform a quick format on the 610, which removed the corrupt file names along with everything else. I then used my backup to copy all the files back to the 610 except for the corrupt files and ran the v2.70 update utility from my PC. This time the update went without any problems and my 610 is now running v2.70 software.

Since updating to v2.70, I have downloaded the latest POIs from the MaFt and PocketGPSworld web site, plus the PocketGPSworld speed camera POIs. I combined all the POIs into one POI file which via the Garmin POI Loader I copied onto my 610 without any problems and they all appeared OK.

I have also experimented and found out you do not have to combine all the POIs into one large POI file. Using the Garmin POI Loader I transferred the MaFt POIs to my 610, then using Explorer I went to the Garmin/POI folder and renamed the poi.gpi file to MaFt.gpi. I then repeated the same exercise for the PocketGPSworld POI file which I renamed to (you guessed) PocketGPS.gpi and the Speed camera POI file which I renamed to SpeedCameras.gpi. My 610 recognises all the POIs as if they were in a single POI file, but it means future updates can be carried out to the individual files instead of to a single all encompassing POI file. In future I only need to copy the relevant POI file to the POI folder, delete the original and rename the new POI file to replace it.

One last point, in messing about (serious investigative study and familiarisation practice) with my 610 I ended up with the Favourites folder completely filled with locations. The daunting thought of having to remove them all one by one (why didn't Garmin make available a remove all option) did not appeal to me. I found out the easy way to clear out the favourites folder was to delete the "current.gpx" file from the Garmin/GPX folder and replace it with the original file from my CD backup.

If there is one piece of advice I can offer to anyone, it is make sure you take a full backup of you Nuvi GPS. I will be doing just that before and after every update to my Nuvi operating software. It takes less than 10 minutes and can save hours of heart ache at a later date.

Finally (I am almost finished, honest :-0 ). I have put together a Excel spreadsheet which enables me to calculate the time/distance settings verses speed for when I want to change the default settings in the speed Camera CSV files. If anyone is interested, I will place a copy on the forum.
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Louie7, really good post, learned some good points, and confirmed some suspicions. I for one would be very grateful for you spreadsheet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: