Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 660 POI Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

660 POI Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daps wrote:
I had the same problem.. Took mine back to Halfords and they exchanged it.

I only D/L MaFt's and mine all locked up, hence the return. I didnt D/L any PGPSW stuff at all.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's dodgy firmware for the 660 then... have you reported this to garmin?
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
maybe it's dodgy firmware for the 660 then... have you reported this to garmin?

No I didnt. I thought it was a local fault with 660 until I read this. I thought it
was something which I may have done myself, not being a techie at this D/L stuff. It was only reading this thread that I wondered if it was that which may have locked it up. I shall however, email Garman about it.
Regards.
benjones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange thing is I downloaded MaFts database on its own to my 660 first and it all worked perfectly. It only locked up when I included the PGPSW database.

I didn't report it to Garmin either as I was worried that they'd want me to send the unit back and wait for a repair.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loaded the majority of MaFt's POI database onto a brand new 660 before, with no troubles at all....

Ah, now, a lot of 660s are shipping with what appears to be a corrupt directory (easy to fix, but most people won't even know there's a problem). I wonder if this is part of the problem. (I can't check as the 660 I was working on had it's directory corruption fixed by me).

It will main only affect 660s that shipped with v2.70 preinstalled (although it is possible earlier versions may be similarly affected), and it's possible Garmin have fixed it, so it may only be a limited batch (thereby explaining how another unit doesn't have the problem).
benjones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Ah, now, a lot of 660s are shipping with what appears to be a corrupt directory (easy to fix, but most people won't even know there's a problem).

How do you fix a corrupt database? Re-flash the firmware?
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Hope people don't mind me asking this question on the back of everything else going on in this string,

Anyway, I've just bought a Nuvi 660 & wondered with loading the Speed Camera's & POI's, is it best to load them directly onto the Unit? or better idea to load them onto a SD Card??

Many thanks

MarkieT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
I've loaded the majority of MaFt's POI database onto a brand new 660 before, with no troubles at all....

Ah, now, a lot of 660s are shipping with what appears to be a corrupt directory (easy to fix, but most people won't even know there's a problem). I wonder if this is part of the problem. (I can't check as the 660 I was working on had it's directory corruption fixed by me).

It will main only affect 660s that shipped with v2.70 preinstalled (although it is possible earlier versions may be similarly affected), and it's possible Garmin have fixed it, so it may only be a limited batch (thereby explaining how another unit doesn't have the problem).

have you mentioned this to garmin? i've just phoned them and the guy i spoke to was not aware of any problems with the 660's...

MaFt
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've seen it mentioned on the GPS Passion forums by a couple of people, and I've seen it myself. As it's fairly easy to fix, I just fixed the 660 and gave it back to its owner. Also, unless you connect the Nuvi to your PC and browse the internal disk (and know what to look for) you might not even realise there is a problem, hence why I suspect Garmin haven't had too many calls about it.

So, unless they go and open up a 660 and go looking for the problem (as it ships, it only affects 1 directory) even they might not know it was there.

Interestingly, one of the other "sufferers" was in the US, so it's not even limited to the European version.

MarkieT - unless the 660 is very different to the Nuvi 3x0 range even if you initially put the file onto the SD card, the unit will ask (when you turn it on) whether you would like to copy the files across to the main unit. I've no idea what happens if you say no - even if it still works, you'll have to say "no" every time you turn the unit on...
benjones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Also, unless you connect the Nuvi to your PC and browse the internal disk (and know what to look for) you might not even realise there is a problem.

What files/directory should I look at to check?
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
MarkieT - unless the 660 is very different to the Nuvi 3x0 range even if you initially put the file onto the SD card, the unit will ask (when you turn it on) whether you would like to copy the files across to the main unit. I've no idea what happens if you say no - even if it still works, you'll have to say "no" every time you turn the unit on...

Hi Swing,

thanks for that info, think I'll go about loading on the POI's that I want then!!

Oh & very interested in this Directory problem!!!

Cheers

MarkieT

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjones wrote:
Via explorer look at the \Garmin\gpx directory - if there are lots of strange entries in there, there is potentially a corrupt directory - if there are just just 1 or 2 normal files, it's fine.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
benjones wrote:
Via explorer look at the \Garmin\gpx directory - if there are lots of strange entries in there, there is potentially a corrupt directory - if there are just just 1 or 2 normal files, it's fine.

can you mention this to garmin via there suport form? i'll also try get in touch with them about it

MaFt
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
benjones wrote:

I've got 62 entries in my gpx directory.. would you class that as strange?
I havnt D/L MaFt's POI's on my replacement set in case I crash/freeze it again. I did email Garmin about a problem but not so much as an acknowledgement yet.
Alan
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would class 62 as strange, especially if they look like bits of an XML file (which may not mean anything to you). A screenshot may confirm to me that it's corrupt.

If the filenames are all normal filenames like "current.gpx" then it is fine - if they are things like /Locatio.n and /Minor./ve then (in my opinion) it's corrupt.

I will add that this corruption may not affect the units operation - certainly the one I have seen with this corruption was brand new from a shop 2 days before, and had only been turned on once or twice, yet everything functioned correctly.

MaFt - you have email...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: