Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the output of my Hirchmann antenna (http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=AP01161) straight in to the pad furthest away from the 4 wires and got a reception outside my house, never had that before. Smile
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a return trip Leeds to Oxfordshire via M!,M42,M40 got a signal about a third of the time.

Tony
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
Just done a return trip Leeds to Oxfordshire via M!,M42,M40 got a signal about a third of the time.

Tony

was using the standard aerial or the modified version?
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hijacker wrote:
TonyD wrote:

Tony

was using the standard aerial or the modified version?

Standard aerial - and I should have said that was from Leeds
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
------------------
The discontinued Freeway units DID receive pager signals, they were relayed using the nationwide VodaPage network.
------------------

Not quite correct....

Thanks for the clarification Vicky. I was only going by the info. from those sites I linked to! Embarassed
There was actually VERY little information on the "old" system or systems (and nothing at all about it on Trafficmaster's own site)...
The US Department of Transportation report did say:
Quote:
"Freeway" speech devices receve a data dump from roadside transmitters. The data are filtered for direction of travel and are presented in simple speech. The service only has motorway coverage.

but that seemed a contradiction in terms as motorways didn't have the cameras on poles referred to by the OP, just the IR-based detectors hanging off bridges etc. at the time.
I should also have seen the paragraph:
Quote:
Short-range beacons are installed on every other site using low-power transmitters (433 MHz) with a 1-mile range to provide local traffic information.

So are there other posts/aerials that provide this on motorways?

I obviously shouldn't have trusted this from two different sites:
Quote:
Control to User - Radiopaging (Vodaphone)

Quote:
Each Trafficmaster unit is actually a standard POCSAG pager with two capcodes. One is used to receive the trafficmaster data, the other allows the user to have their own personal numeric pager. Data is sent via the VodaPage network.

**** internet! Laughing
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just traveled from Glasgow to Doncaster.

M74 and M6 South signal 95% of the time
A60 No Signal
A1 Signal 100%
M1 100%

Using a standard set up. However I am in a artic so my equipemnt is higher then everyone else so may be getting an improved signal!
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Regards to Freeway and Motorways,

The IR units on the bridges do the same job as the poles at the side of A Roads, and transmit to the freeway units,

I think on average they are about 3 to 4 miles apart, (About every 2nd or 3rd Motorway Bridge) and at every junction.

So they pick up on slowing traffic on the Motorways quickly.

The Freeway units are very good for the price (If you can find one these days), I got my first one back in 1994 after having one of the more expensive Trafficmaster units that just covered Southern England at the time since the system started.

At the moment these units are 100% More reliable than the FM TMC Service, leaving it down to the user to decide if the incident is worth avoiding, and after using the freeway units for some time you tend to get used to what is a ghost report and something that is going to be a real pain!.

Cheers

Vicky
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:

A60 No Signal
A1 Signal 100%
M1 100%

Using a standard set up. However I am in a artic so my equipemnt is higher then everyone else so may be getting an improved signal!

Cheers Mark,

Amazed by that reception percentage. were you using the Standard Unit or has the antenna been modded. Also is the artic Fiberglass or Steel Cab?. and are you on v6.522 firmware (The one with the orange circle when no reception?)

Thanks

Vicky
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the standard aerial I've had 100% reception in following areas:

Glasgow M74 around Baillieston, M73 to Mollinsburn, A80 and M9 to Stirling. Also coverage on M80 and M876.

I lost reception when venturing further north up the A9 beyond Stirling but I expect this is because I was at the limits of the Black Hill transmitter. However, I still failed to lock on to the next transmitter which should be Angus near Dundee.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
mark1968 wrote:

A60 No Signal
A1 Signal 100%
M1 100%

Cheers Mark,

Amazed by that reception percentage. were you using the Standard Unit or has the antenna been modded. Also is the artic Fiberglass or Steel Cab?. and are you on v6.522 firmware (The one with the orange circle when no reception?)

Thanks

Vicky

I am in a reciently new volvo cab with a Fiberglass Cab (I think!). Using V6.522 firmware.

I also had good reception down from Doncaster to my base a Crick yesterday. M18, M1.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
coastersteve wrote:
So which did you connect the centre of the coax to? The one nearest the 4 wires or the one furthest away from them?

There could be an inductor between them, I'll look closer when I get to work Tuesday.

The One furthest away, as indicated by Gizmo, works fine as core, but with screen connected to one closest to wires it failed once charger was connected,

Removed screen wire from that pad and now all is fine,

Cheers

Vicky

Apologies for sounding thick here, but,

In a previous post you said that you have now routed the screen round to the radio. Could you give me so more info on this?

I know from this thread to solder the core of the coax to the pad furthest away from the four wires but I'm unsure as what to do with the screen.

Also should I use a splitter at the car radio socket or is it better to solder into the existing car wiring?

Can you recommend a coax to use? I have a Maplin's near me but they have 100s of different types and I'm unsure as to what I should use.

Thanks.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I did not have a splitter to hand, so the way I did it was to cut the fly lead that cam out the back of my radio (Connects to the car antenna), connected the core wire flylead from my Modded TMC to the Core in the radio lead, and then just ignored the screen lead

A bit complicated I know,

I am going to have a play at tidying it up later

I also got hold of an internal Preamped antenna today, so am going to try that on the TomTom TMC and leave the car on the standard antenna see if that improves things.

Just generally will keep playing around till I get the best signal,.

Problem is the East Midlands is a Black Hole for Signal on Classic so there is only so much you can do!.

Just want to make sure I have signal from home to the M1 and then up and down that, as thats where I hit most problems

Cheers
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TMC receiver arrived this morning - decided to give it a bash despite the risk of poor performance as it was only £40. Ordered from Germany on Thursday afternoon - talk about efficient postal services!

I live in the sticks - nearest Classic transmitter is a long way out. However I still got reception (just - manual tuned!) in the house to try it out. Even updated real-time with some congestion further south on the A1!

Early doors for me - I'll be modding the aerial today - but I did notice that I couldn't get a signal at all with the TomTom running on battery power, but with it hooked up to the car charger (via a 12v mains power pack), the reception was just possible.

I'm guessing the charger works as a ground plane, in which case the same may be true in the car. For those having trouble with the unmodded TMC unit, if you aren't using the charger it's worth a try to see if the coverage improves at all.
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the mod - still not tried in the car as the wife's taken the kids to her parents so it's too good a drinking opportunity to miss! And drink and cars don't mix....

But just sticking a bit of cable on the pads and stringing it across the floor in the house has made a huge difference to how quickly the TMC receiver finds Classic and gets the traffic.....
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVRHack2 wrote:

I'm guessing the charger works as a ground plane, in which case the same may be true in the car. For those having trouble with the unmodded TMC unit, if you aren't using the charger it's worth a try to see if the coverage improves at all.

The conclusion that I came to was that the pad nearest the 4-wires is the antenna ground plane and it is connected to the car charger via the negative/chassis ground. Although that doesn't seem to have been the case for Vicky. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: