Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 1 speed detector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 1 speed detector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim158
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 1 speed detector Reply with quote

Merry Christmas all,

sorry to what might be a simple question to you experts, I have a road angel i use at the mo in the car and am thinking off upgrading to sat nav.

Tom Tom 1 @ £143.99 is the one i am after but it says nothing about speed camera detection, so here are my 2 xmas questions:-

1. Is the tom tom 1 a good piece of kit?

2. if/how can it be modified to detect speed cameras

Many Thanks and Merry Xmas

Tim
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Guess that's the One v2 Regional (GB) at that price.

1. Yes, it is.

2. It isn't a detector. It uses a loaded database ( comprising various camera sites ) and will alert you when you approach one of them depending on how you set it up.

Hope that answers. Post for more info as required.

nadolig llawen,
hirve
tim158
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hirve,

Yes it is V2, I belive it comes pre loaded with GB maps, do you know how much it will cost and where, for the camera database updates and if there is any software required,

Kind regards

Tim
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get a free trial of the TomTom database with purchase, which some people use. You can also pay £2 for a month or £19 p/a for this PGPSW version which, naturally, majority of people on here use. Can run both together even but that's a bit extreme........

Have a read around but essentially, subscribe here & you get regular updates ( Nov '06=3, Dec '06=2, for example ). You just decide how often you want to update your unit with the data and download it as available/required.

There a a couple of ways to install the files - OV2 method (manually) or HOME method (using TomTom own software, which you get with the One anyway). This will make more sense when you actually try downloading the database to install.

You can also add sounds &/or spoken alerts to warn of camera sites & your other POI's ( Points Of Interest ) as you are approaching them. That info is on here as well.

All clever stuff, but quite easy to set up & use. Plus this Forum is a great source of help & advice.

If you do get a TomTom unit, first advice is to make a copy of your SD card as that is the only copy of your maps and if anything goes wrong, you can simply copy it back to your SD. Saves calling Support Hotline.
Or better, get a bigger SD and copy to that. Then use new SD & keep your original safe, for the same purpose, ( still backup to PC though !!! )
tim158
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow sold, thanks for making up my mind hirve, i am going to buy it and sell my road angel on ebay,

Many thanks for your help

what a great forum

Regards

Tim
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you hadn't seen this info, it's the figures for what's in the latest PGPSW release.
Quote:
PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database Version 4.124 22 Dec 06
Welcome to the last database release of 2006!

There are a total of 11,217 cameras in the database. 3,870 Gatso/Monitron/Truvelo, 6,165 Mobiles, 24 Temporary, 166 Specs and 992 Redlight Cameras.

We have had a total of 31 verified static cameras added this release submitted by 22 members.

Welcome once again.

ps
subscribing to the database and getting the downloads - i think paying by c/cards is speedy access & paypal takes a few days....A Moderator will probably pop in and comment on this with clarity......or go look at the subscription pages for details. The sooner you join/pay, the better - as your membership is almost instant but your cleared payment is the control to let you download the database. Definately worth it !!

regards
hirve ( just a humble Member, not a pushy salesman. Honest !! )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: