Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Acer P610
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer P610

View previous topic :: View next topic  
idingsdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Acer P610 Reply with quote

So I was given an Acer P610 for chrismas, and its a nice little bit of kit. But here's the problem - the specifications say it provided with Copilot (not live) basic, but the feature list also lists features that come with Copilot Premium - such as multi destinations/waypoints and custom POIs.
When I first fired it up, the splash screen said it was Premium, and all the premium stuff was there (except safety cam alerts, oddly). I could add multiple waypoints, do detours, full 7 digit postcodes etc. The problem was, if the device was powered off when the software was active, it would crash when turned back on and needed a hard reset.
So I checked the Acer website, and found an update which I duly ran, and it cured the crashing problem. Dissapointingly, I am now missing quite a few features. The spash screen just says "Copilot 6", and I can't do waypoints, advanced routing profiles, 7 digit postcodes etc.
Needless to say I'm a bit miffed that the update removed several features that are even claimed on the side of the box. I'd really like camera updates, but I cant even do them - I've followed the ALK instructions but the POI category doesnt appear.
So question is - can I revert back to the original software supplied? I have a full set of discs marked "Copilot Premium" but I've tried installing them and doing a data transfer from the desktop software but with no luck. The only thing I can think is to uninstall the Nav software through activesync and try to reinstall, but I really dont want to risk that!
Does anyone have any thoughts, both from a technical and legal standpoint?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't going to be much of an answer, idingsdale, but it might help you ask the right questions of ALK.

I don't recall previously having heard of "Copilot Premium". On the other hand, plain Copilot 6 includes Live; in fact the Full title is "Copilot 6 Live!" (their exclamation mark, not mine), but most of us us drop the "Live!" when referring to it. Furthermore, it includes 7-digit postcode, POIs and multiple waypoint capabilities as standard.

Perhaps the update you downloaded was a cut-down version. They used to do a Copilot Lite (or similar name) in the days of Copilot 5, so I wonder if this is an equivalent.

If you comb the forum, you should find help on other threads that covers some installation failures.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
idingsdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked ALK and they have come back very quickly (Which is good) to say that the P610 is supplied with CoPilot standard, so theres nothing they can do - they have just pointed me towards acer. The P630, which isnt out yet has bluetooth and copilot premium, so I'm hoping they can offer me an upgrade to that software.
My understanding of the Copilot range is it goes:

-Copilot standard
-Copilot premium
-Copilot Live!

"Premium" has all the features of Live, but without the live features. I think standard and premium are for OEMs only, as I cant find any reference to them on the ALK site.

According to the Acer/Copilot manual i have, I'm missing the following features since the update (I've marked with a star the features that are advertised on the P610):

-TMC Compatibility*
-Multiple Stops/Waypoints and route optimization*
-Detour*
-Save/Import trips
-Walking and Planning modes*
-Full postcode search
-Routing profiles*
-Importing of POIs*
-Speedcamera alerts

I'm really quite disappointed that so many features are missing now, I've also contacted the shop I bought it from so hopefully I can get it resolved.
I think the best solution would be to offer me an upgrade to Premium for a reduced price - although ALK say the upgrade is not available yet Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: