Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - T-Mobile PAYG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

T-Mobile PAYG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I suppose the quality of Customer Service Representative's training will come into play and the 'Fat Cat' payrises given to the bosses with nothing given back to the workers! This happens in all industries.

I have been contacting all the networks regarding PAYG GPRS and without question T-Mobile has given the best service. They have answered everything fully and always by people in England. The only slip-up was when one of their CS bods told me the charge was 2p/kB. The lady hadn't realised that T-Mobile's charge has recently dropped to 0.73p/kB. One more email corrected their error which they admitted to making.

All the other providers have given duff information or didn't know the answers I was looking for and have all been based on foreign shores.
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rodderstrotter

Please can you confirm the exact settings you have in your phone to allow TTT to work over PAYG?

My phone is preloaded with some T-Mobile settings but I think they're out of date. If you can supply the home page address, IP/DNS numbers, username, password e.t.c. from your working phone that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the T-Mobile website? If not try this link

http://tmobileuk.wdsglobal.com/phonefirst

If this doesn't help, (your phone model may not be listed), here are the settings

Homepage: http://wap.t-mobile.co.uk/ or http://www.t-zones.co.uk/
GPRS APN address: general.t-mobile.uk
Gateway (IP) address :149.254.001.010
Username : user or wapuser
Password: wap
Session type: Continuous / permanent
Port number: 9201
Authentication: Normal

On my phone (o2 xda mini S), I only needed the settings that are in bold. The other settings I either didn't need, or they're only for wap. If you're considering using it for anything else other than tomtom, let me know.

Hope this helps.
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rodderstrotter

Yes I have tried the T-Mobile website you listed and it has downloaded a new WAP connection to my phone. However the new connection is called 't-zones' and is fully locked down. I can't even view the settings within it never mind change them.

Using this new WAP connection I can get to all t-zones and the bbc news, google e.t.c. but these are all WAP pages. I still cannot get to any normal web pages, the phone just says 'Error 413, page cannot be displayed'. This is the same for www.tomtom.com.

I will set up a manual connection using your settings and try that.

Do you know the phone number the PDA has to dial to connect to the T-Mobile GPRS connection? With an XDA Mini S it may all be done internally without you knowing.

With O2 the number to dial is '*99#' but I don't know if this is the same for T-Mobile. The PDA (Dell X50V) connects to the phone by bluetooth and dials this number to activate the GPRS turning the phone into a modem.

Thank you for your help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For codes and setting up the numbers please have a look HERE you will find both the codes and settings for a number of service providers, scroll down quite a bit for the UK - Mike
tkdark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutley282 wrote:
That's amazing!!

The lady I spoke with at Orange Customer Services deliberatley emphasised the fact that the normal GPRS tariff only covers you for access to Orange World. Anything outside this reverted to the £4/Mb rate.

Maybe this is a carefully orchestrated scam just like the T-Mobile one by giving false information to get you to join a more expensive contract tariff?

The good news is now we are at last finding out which PAYG Service Providers can be used for TTT.

So far T-Mobile, Vodafone and Orange yes, O2 no.

Does anybody know about Tesco and Virgin?

Virgin mobile PAYG works well. 0.5p per kb to 'access other sites' according to their tariffs here:

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payasyougo.tarrif.shop.sm018

However, I've just downloaded a 540 kb file via the laptop and been debited just over one pound?!
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For codes and setting up the numbers please have a look HERE you will find both the codes and settings for a number of service providers, scroll down quite a bit for the UK - Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for this.

I have tried *99# as the number for the PDA to dial up after connecting to the phone by bluetooth. The number *99# works on O2 using the same phone/PDA but not on T-Mobile and it is the T-Mobile specific number I am after. Trying a few '#' symbols and then a 1 or a 2 doesn't work either. All this does is cause the phone to disconnect from the PDA. We can try my PAYG SIM in your T-Mobile MDA thingy (HTC Hero?) on Tuesday and see if it works via an all-in-one device. Russ
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkdark wrote:

Virgin mobile PAYG works well. 0.5p per kb to 'access other sites' according to their tariffs here:

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payasyougo.tarrif.shop.sm018

However, I've just downloaded a 540 kb file via the laptop and been debited just over one pound?!

So Virgin can't do their maths either!! At least it worked in your favour!
540kB x 0.5p/kB is £2.70 unless they use some other numbering system. So you're just under £1.70 in profit!

At 0.5p/kB Virgin are a touch cheaper than T-Mobile's 0.73p/kB but without any maximum limit per day. Still if they only charge you just over a pound for a 540kB download then they're not charging 0.5p/kB either. I just wish this was a bit simpler!

At least now we know who works with TTT over PAYG.

T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange and now Virgin, yes
O2 no.

Only Tesco left of the 'big names' but as they are holding hands with O2 to provide their service I strongly suspect Tesco don't support GPRS over PAYG. It would be nice to confirm or deny beyond doubt if anyone knows.
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutley282 wrote:

I have tried *99# as the number for the PDA to dial up after connecting to the phone by bluetooth. The number *99# works on O2 using the same phone/PDA but not on T-Mobile and it is the T-Mobile specific number I am after. Trying a few '#' symbols and then a 1 or a 2 doesn't work either. All this does is cause the phone to disconnect from the PDA. We can try my PAYG SIM in your T-Mobile MDA thingy (HTC Hero?) on Tuesday and see if it works via an all-in-one device. Russ

Have you tried modem initialization string?

at+cgdcont=1,”IP”,”general.t-mobile.uk”

You may or may not need to add ,"",0,0 to the end of the string.
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rodderstrotter

Thank you very much for the modem initialisation string. I had seen this for Vodafone but not for T-Mobile. Unfortunately this doesn't work either! First of all I can only put in the string you have provided and this reaches the full length limit for the field. Therefore I cannot put extra characters on the end i.e. ,"",0,0 as there is no more room in the settings box.

What confuses me is that I can put my O2 PAYG SIM in the very same phone (Motorola ROKR) and the Dell PDA will connect to the GPRS no problem every time. All I have to put in is the *99# number for the Dell to dial and nothing else. It connects every time perfectly and 'GPRS Active' comes up on the phone. Ironically of course O2 PAYG does not allow you to do anything after that!

I am so far unable to replicate the same thing using a T-Mobile PAYG SIM. For an unknown reason the Dell and phone will not connect.

I have also seen conflicting reports for the password on T-Mobile. You said above it is 'wap', other web searches say it is 'password' and finally T-Mobile themselves have told me today the password is 'one2one'. None of them work. There is no problem connecting the phone itself to the T-Zones pages using GPRS.

I am intending to try the same T-Mobile PAYG SIM in another phone tomorrow to see if my phone is causing the problem. I would be very surprised if this were the case as the phone/PDA connects to GPRS no problem on O2.

I will let you know what happens.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a more conclusive test will be to use the HTC Artemis (no sim lock) and set-up using contracted T-Mobile, Contracted O2 and then introduce the T-Mobile PAYG sim to the melting pot before trying the Rokr phone, I will also bring the Exec along to see if that makes any difference using UMTS on any of the services as that's not sim locked either - interesting thread but to be honest for 7,50 per month for unlimited full internet access via GPRS I still think contract is overall the cheaper solution - and it works. Earlier you mentioned internet access when stuck in traffic for surfing the net, the objective is to avoid traffic, but I know where the sugestion came from - NEC trip last year? - to many trips in the car with me!
should be an interesting little test - Mike
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - exactly!!

NEC trip last year, 2hrs 50mins Blackpool to Birmingham a distance of about 140miles. An average speed of 49mph.

Surfing the web (as a passenger of course) whilst crawling between Warrington and Stoke-on-Trent beats utter boredom. You can check ebay, look at what's on the telly that night, buy/sell shares, move money between different bank accounts....................

As for contracted GPRS, it is £7.50 on top of a £25/month contract i.e. £32.50/month. Good if you use the phone a lot but not so good if you don't. However it is more promising if you consider you can also get an expensive phone for next to nothing included. You then sell the phone at the end of the contract and get half your money back..............
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crazylegs,

No you're right it's not the SIM that's stopping me. It appears to be the Motorola ROKR phone.

Mike Alder and myself have been doing some testing today using a HTC Artemis and this works perfectly using the T-Mobile PAYG SIM. We are to conduct tests on another phone tomorrow to finally conclude the issue.

However, we are both pretty convinced there is either something wrong with the ROKR itself or a setting within it that we haven't yet found.

I should point out that I removed the default 'Content Lock' from the T-Mobile PAYG SIM prior to us testing it today. I don't know but it could be that if you don't remove the lock from a brand new SIM then this may also stop connection although from what you said then probably not. The content lock is supposed to stop access to 18+ rated websites but may remove access to more than that.
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

Mike and myself have now tested the T-Mobile PAYG SIM in different phones and we firmly believe the problem is within my Motorola ROKR.

We have tried the same SIM in a HTC Artemis, a HTC Hero and an XDA Exec. All 3 devices can access full internet pages including TT and connect to TT Traffic with no problems. We could also access a pop3 email server fully using the PAYG SIM. I connected my Dell PDA to the Exec by bluetooth and ran TT on the Dell using the Exec as a modem. TT Traffic and full internet access worked perfectly on the Dell.

We were hoping to perform the same test by connecting the Dell PDA to either of the HTC devices but for some unknown reason we could not get the devices to pair successfully. We attributed this failure to the HTC devices as Mike has reported problems pairing these before whereas I have never had any problems pairing the Dell to anything else.

So in conclusion we believe the problem is in the ROKR phone. Either there is a setting in the phone we haven't found or there is a restriction in the Symbian operating system itself. Basically it's time for a new phone.

As a seperate issue, I have also been advised by Orange that the Motorola L6 SLVR cannot display full web pages either. The SLVR will do WAP but not web. As this is also a Motorola device, could this be a common restriction across all Motorola phones?

Thank you all for your help.
Graham79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutley282 wrote:
Only Tesco left of the 'big names' but as they are holding hands with O2 to provide their service I strongly suspect Tesco don't support GPRS over PAYG. It would be nice to confirm or deny beyond doubt if anyone knows.

Tesco indeed only support WAP over GPRS, not permitting full internet access.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: