Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I remove the Garmin dashboard sticky disk?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I remove the Garmin dashboard sticky disk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abrowne1950
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: How do I remove the Garmin dashboard sticky disk? Reply with quote

I foolishly applied the Garmin Dash Disk to my brand new Nissan Murano's dash. I decided that I hated it because the arm kept falling off. So I bought a Garmin bean bag, skid free device with the arm built in. It is awesome (On sale at Amazon for $27). Now my problem... HOW DO I REMOVE THAT UNSIGHTLY BLACK DISK? Is there any chemical or process that will allow it to be removed without damaging my dash?
gilesme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the usual technique is :

Heat the disk up using a hairdryer (this should soften the glue) and see if you can prise off.

If not, use some fishing line under the disk to slice through the adhesive.

Then use white spirit/nail varnish remover to remove any residue.

Good luck !
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the trick is to do this very slowly. Previous advice is good - heat up the pad well with hairdryer then use a firm bladed knife (i.e. not too flexible) to slowly prise the pad off. Any alchohol based solvent should remove any tacky residue - test first on hidden part of dash just in case it also removes dash!

I use a Brodit mount designed to fit in the centre console of my VW - works very well and doesn't advertise a GPS unit to the outside world. Also prevents it from blocking any part of windscreen thus preventing the police from getting interested if they think it's obstructing your vision or distracting you from driving.
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the $ sign in your post you're not in the UK, but here I would highly recommend Lakelands "Sticky Stuff Remover" for getting rid of the adhesive. Much more benign than nail varnish remover or white spirit.
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hair dryer route is the best way to go. Be patient though and don't hold the hair dryer to close to the dash. Go for high heat low speed setting. Keep at it and gently pry the disc away with your fingers. Any residual disc adhesive mark on the dash wipe over with a tissue lightly damped with white spirit followed by a water soaked cloth. Finally give the dash a good polish with household furniture polish.

I used this method to remove the disc from my old car 100%.

If you want to reuse the disc completely remove the pad from the disc using white spirit then throughly clean in water and allow it to dry. I then used Interior Unibond "no more nails type foam tape" on the back of the disc, cleaned the area of dash the disc was being attached to with white spirit even though the car was brand new and hey presto it has been stuck fast there for almost a month now.
(A)nd
(P)roud
-----------------------------------
i3, V8, V2.7, WAAS EGNOS.
Audio V2, Simpsons Voice File
-----------------------------------
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is the best adhesive remover I have ever found. It has always been benign for me but ALWAYS test it out on a hidden area first!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: