Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - download camera database & load onto ICN 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

download camera database & load onto ICN 510
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLKEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: temp file Reply with quote

this seems to be the trouble as i have downloaded the database so many times but cannot find them anywere on the computer only when i open up
smart st i know you wizkids think everyone is the same i dont ever download file like these so i am lost as what to do this has been my trouble from day 1 i am ever so sorry for causing so much greif
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be worth deleting any old copies you find and starting again making notes of where you save the files as you go along.

Quote:
i am ever so sorry for causing so much greif

It's what the forum is here for!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to jump in (but when has that ever stopped me!) as I don't have a Navman, but as for where you save the files:
In the instructions it says "extract the ZIP file contents to a directory on your PC, e.g. C:\temp". That is just a suggestion...

Unless I'm missing something, I would download the file to the DESKTOP and extract the files there too. That is the easiest place to find them when you've lost them!
Then when you run the SmartST program and select "open", you can select "Desktop" as the place to look for them.

But to be honest, I think you've already been past this step, as you've already managed to "open" the consolidated version archive file?
BLKEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: deleted files Reply with quote

I think that i have got rid of all the old files that contain speed cameras
BLKEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: still no wiser Reply with quote

to be honest i dont think i am going to bother i think i will buy an sd card from e bay as it is the No 1 subject in the instructions that i cant do
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you buying off eBay? Can you provide a link to it?
BLKEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: TEMP FILE Reply with quote

i am using Win XP but still cant sort this temp file out as your No 1 instruction thinks everyone is a computer wizard not at 71 they aren't
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: still no wiser Reply with quote

Hi Hi BLKEY Again
Sorry Paul, we crossed in the post
I'll try to expand No 1 where you seem to be coming unstuck.

BLKEY wrote:
to be honest i dont think i am going to bother i think i will buy an sd card from e bay as it is the No 1 subject in the instructions that i cant do

Presumably you have already spent £19 to get the downloads from here? If so it does not seem to me to be a good idea to spend more cash on what is probably an inferior product (Unless it's a rip off copy of our database).
Once you get the hang of the download procedures, it realy is quite simple. Perhaps not as easy as slipping in an SD card, but you do get the best. That's even if you are 71, (I'm only 5 years behind you).

Try this out for the No 1 subject. It should work for you. If not, make a note of exactly where it didn't work for you and post here again.

1 Open the camera download page by clicking the large camera and world icon at the top left of this post

2 If required scroll down a bit until you can see the Downloading the Database bit

4 Chose Navman in the drop down and click continue

5 In the camera selections dropdown Chose 'UK Single File with all cameras'. You may chose to change this later when you have got the hang of the download.

6 Click Download database.

7 You should then get a popup asking you 'Open' or 'Save'. Chose 'Save'

8 This should open the 'Save As' dialog box.

9 Drop down the 'Save in' dropdown and chose 'Desktop' as where to put the file

10Click 'Save'

11 When the download is complete, either Click the 'Open Folder' button and look for a file called pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxx.zip. You shoulsd also be able to see this file on your desktop. The xxxx will be replaced with individual letters and numbers and the .zip extention may or may not show. (My download was pgpsw-speed-cams-1am55.zip)

12 Double click this file. It should open in explorer or winzip and display 7 files. The ones of particular interest are
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.asc and pocketgps_uk_sc.asc. The difference between them is that the second one contains all provisiional mobiles as well as confirmed ones
I would suggest that you use the pocketgps_uk_sc.asc.

13 Click on this file and drag and drop it onto your desktop.

If you can do this and then find the file on your desktop, you must be nearly home and dry.
In the Nanman software, When it asks you where the file is (The POI edit 'Open' dialog, use the dropdown and chose Desktop as the folder and the file that you have unzipped (NOT THE DOWNLOADED FILE) as the file.

See if that works
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

received by pm

Quote:
right from the onset of my problem i have said that i didnt understand the No1 part of the download instructions because the boxes that pop up are mind boggling to me and i dont know anyone local that downloads your database onto a navman i know that when i first put speed camera warning on the navman i bought the european maps from e bay and the chap who sold them to me asked me to send an sd card to him and he loaded the database onto it FOC which i thought was very good of him but its 3 year old now and its out of date but it looks like i am going to have to do the same thing again if you cant help me
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just imagine how many of us have been typing exactly the same thing!!
M8TJT got in first, but as I just spent 1/2 hour typing this, I'm not going to delete it, you can have it as an alternative set of instructions.
If M8TJT's work for you , ignore these!

Quote:
thinks everyone is a computer wizard not at 71 they aren't

No excuse! Our DennisN is MUCH older than that! Laughing

OK, forget anything to do with "temp".

These are instructions for the Internet Explorer web-browser (I assume you are using that?)
I am doing every step as I type it so no prior knowledge needed.

1. Go to the download page (click HERE to go there)
2. Select Navman in the box and click "continue"
3. Select "UK - Consolidated by type" in the next box and click "continue"
4. You may get a little bleep and a bar appearing at the top of the page saying "To help protect your security Internet Explorer has prevented this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options".
IF you get that bar, click on it and select "Download file" from the options it gives you.
5. You should then get a new window opening that says "Do you want to open or saver this file?" - Select "Save".
6. You will get ANOTHER window opening, called "Save as...". Go to the box at the top called "Save in...", click the arrow at the end and pick "Desktop" (probably the second choice down)
7. Click "Save" and that box will go away, leaving the other one which should say "Download complete" after a few moments.

8. If you like, you can stop there for a breather, and if you can get back to looking at the desktop, you should fine a new file sitting there. Otherwise just click "Open" in the "Download complete" window we got.

9.You should now see a list of files in a window (the first one is "_Need_Help.htm but you might not see the "htm" part.)
10. Click on the instruction on the left of that window where it says "Extract all files". Yet another window opens called "Extraction Wizard". Click on "Next" and then "Next" again on the following screen.
11. You should see a green "progress" bar showing it is working and then a "Finish" button should appear. Click on it.
12. A final window should now appear, showing all the files you have successfully downloaded to a folder on your DESKTOP.

Stop there and tell us how you've got on.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

M8TJT got in first, but as I just spent 1/2 hour typing this, I'm not going to delete it, you can have it as an alternative set of instructions.
If M8TJT's work for you , ignore these!

Paul actually got in about 3 seconds before me, but there it was, gone!!!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I pulled it because yours was much, much clearer than mine and i didn't want to bombard BLKEY with sets of instructions.
BLKEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: transfer to navman problems Reply with quote

Hi I have managed I think to put the database into a temp file
there is a folder on its own that says PGPSW-Speed-Cams xxxx
in the C:\temp folder there are two identical files but one says Unknown File Format all the folders are there as in No 5 instruction if I open one it goes to a list of cameras like No 6 instruction page but this is where everything goes wrong of the list that is shown which one puts the whole groupe of cameras to devise there are litterally thousands does the top line put the lot of that group onto the device

Kind Regards
BLKEY
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

I pulled it because yours was much, much clearer than mine and i didn't want to bombard BLKEY with sets of instructions.

That's what I guessed, other than mine being better than yours. Smile
Hope he comes back. I know that I had all sorts of problems when I started, especially where I was on the site, what to download etc. Crying or Very sad
But I've got over that at last. Very Happy

Edit. Welcome back BLKEY. I thought that we had frightened you off.
It would be better if one of the others helped you now that you know where your download is.
I don't have a Navman, so one of the others will be better placed to talk you through the rest.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Quote:
thinks everyone is a computer wizard not at 71 they aren't

No excuse! Our DennisN is MUCH older than that! Laughing

Yeh,but,No,but,Yeh,but,No,but. I'm not - I'm just not wearing well!! I'm only 68 (and nearly a ½) - he's Oooooold! And old people are useless at computers. He was born before computers were even invented, whereas I'm from the modern era - we got rid of our household gas lights ages ago and had electric holes with two round holes in them - we got one in my first house, cost £8 to get it put there, so that we could have one of the new wireless thingies instead of the cats whisker thingy.

Enjoy yourselves children - I've no idea what an icn is, doesn't seem to figure in that nice Acronym website that Andy gave me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: