Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna ClipOn - IPAQ4150 - Fugawi UK maps - NO FIX
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna ClipOn - IPAQ4150 - Fugawi UK maps - NO FIX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Fortuna ClipOn - IPAQ4150 - Fugawi UK maps - NO FIX Reply with quote

I am a keen rambler, and used to use a Garmin 3+ till it was stolen.
I have just purchased a bundle to replace this including
1. HP IPAQ 4150 with Bluetooth
2. Fortuna ClipOn GPS transmitter with Bluetooth
3. Fugawi UK Ordnance Survey map software 3.1.0.473

The idea is to pick up GPS signals on the Fortuna, send GPS data over
Bluetooth to the IPAQ, and track these on Fugawi Ordnance Survey maps on the PocketPC.

Each individual component works fine, except I cannot get a "fix" on the IPAQ, which does not seem to be "receiving" the GPS data stream although the Com Port is open and working fine. There is no data appearing in the IPAQ/Fugawi/NMEA Log.

I *know* the Fortuna is transmitting perfectly: my HP NX7000 Laptop with the PC Fugawi software maps gets a good GPS signal from the Fortuna and centres on the map quickly.

All the connectivity on the IPAQ seems to be configured correctly, but no
fix is achieved. It looks like the GPS datastream is not getting into the IPAQ or the Fugawi PPC program. I have tried altering the speeds from 38400 and 4800 with no change.

To confound matters, I also tried the Fugawi UK installation on an IPAQ 2200 and have exactly the same problems.

I can only imagine every new user of this bundle must be having the same problem. Any assistance solving this would be very welcome.

Tony
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply switching BlueTooth on on the iPAQ and the Fortune just isn't enough. The iPAQ needs to subscribe to the service that the Fortuna is offering. Use the BlueTooth Manager on the iPAQ to connect to the serial port offered by the Fortuna. Only after that your software will be able to read the data from the COM port.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TMD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Simply switching BlueTooth on on the iPAQ and the Fortune just isn't enough. The iPAQ needs to subscribe to the service that the Fortuna is offering. Use the BlueTooth Manager on the iPAQ to connect to the serial port offered by the Fortuna. Only after that your software will be able to read the data from the COM port.

Sorry, didn't mention this: I did a successful pairing via BlueTooth Manager on the IPAQ, using passcode 0000, and creating a shortcut to the "ClipOn-BTGPS: SPP slave". The IPAQ easily achieves a BT connection with the Fortuna, which stays "live" for about 3 minutes. The Fugawi PPC software happily opens this BT port on Com8, but no data comes through.
My HP laptop happily takes the BT signal from the Fortuna, and provides perfect GPS datastreams for Fugawi UK (and also AutoRoute 2004 for that matter!)

So it must be some simple issue on the IPAQ/ BT Configuration/Fugawi program that I cannot overcome.

I've spent so much time trying to get this to work, that in frustration I've ordered a copy of the Memory Map Ordnance Survey software. Maybe this will work "out of the box"

Thanks.
Tony
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, establishing a BT connection is not enough. The iPAQ MUST connect to the serial port of the GPS receiver. Have you done that in the BT Manager?

Pairing, on the other hand, is not required (but it also doesn't hurt)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TMD,

Looks like you're doing everything right to me. I have an HP2210 and a Clip-on with Memory Map (did have Fugawi but MM is much better - you'll be glad when MM arrives I sure of that), and it all works wonderfully. So well in fact that I use it at the slightest most trivial opportunity. But that doesn't help you.

You don't have TT Navigator on the same PPC do you? The TT GPS driver is well known for hijacking (or should that be bluejacking) bluetooth on you PPC. There is a work round.

Two or three soft resets always goes down well if you haven't tried that. Failing this, it's a hard reset and install again.?

You could try some of the GPS test utilities found on this site I believe (not tried any of these myself) to see if a different application can get data from your GPS.

Good luck

TC
TMD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem Solved !

I'm too damn logical. It was a question of semantics. I had selected the *incoming* BT port Com8 on my Fugawi and Memory Map (installed today) software, because I figured information was coming IN to my IPAQ from the Fortuna. Wouldn't you!

However, looking at the Bluetooth Active Connections on the IPAQ, it shows there is an Outgoing Connection to the Fortuna!

Simply selecting the *outgoing* BT port on Com6 gets everything working perfectly. I've selcted a BAUD rate of 4800 also.

Actually, With the Fortuna in Xtrac mode and sitting on my office window ledge with loads of obstacles, I'm getting excellent signals from 7 sats just now

Thanks to TC and Lutz for your comments.

Tony MacDonnell (TMD)
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think fortuna clipon likes 38400 baud.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: