Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seidio G2500 GPS Ready Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seidio G2500 GPS Ready Mount
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dark grey ones weren't available when I last looked (at least for the 2210) are they shipping them now?
shenkerp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an update on the problem I had last Wednesday when I mentioned the cradle was not charging my Dell Axim 5. I thought the problem was electrical so I got in contact with Seido's support department (service@seidio-europe.com) and received this reply within 24 hours.

"Inside the holder for Dell G2500, there are two posts. They are designed to guide Dell to be inserted into the cradle easily, however, if the two holes on Dell is off a little bit, it will be difficult for the Dell to go all the way down to make contact properly between the connector and Dell. We have removed two posts and we can send you a new one. If you need to use urgently, you would like to try, you can remove the two posts to see if helps."

I can confirm that after removing the two posts my Dell is now being charged and it is working very well. Seidio have confirmed a new cradle will be on the way next week. I'm very pleased with the support given by Seidio but, of course, a custom-made product should not have had the problem in the first place.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the build quality is definately suspect, but they do seem to be aware of the problems - perhaps they should have factored in a slightly higher manufacturing price.

My bet is that pretty soon these mounts - or something very similar - will be all over ebay at a much lower cost.

If anyone is thinking of buying one and they don't mind the cost then these are IMHO the neatest solution for a powered mount
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally received mine today,

Mine is a direct replacement for one of their "powered bundles" I ordered the same week they announced the GS2500 so I can compare the two.

Firstly it's much more compact - I've been able to move it from the drivers side vent on my car to the centre console vent as it's much thinner - the "powered bundle" obstructed the controld on the steering wheel. This also reduces glare on my pda considerably

Secondly it like the other mount is far too heavy for the weedy swivel mount that comes with these units - luckily the vent clips put the unit in a reasonable position for me to use it without.

Thirdly - the internal speaker on both of these units is adequate at best - I have an Ipaq 2210 which as any one who's got one know has a very poor speaker - neither of these units is much louder than the Ipaq (I believe they're rated at 5 watts - I suspect this is peak becuase there's no way this could be RMS), however they're both adequate for relayign instructions but I would say they are totally unsuited for say playing mp3's or reading books to you.

So which is best ? - the new one without a doubt - much easier to get going first thing in a morning - it looks far better and hopefully will last a while - value for money ? err juries out, I think it's a tad too expensive personally but it does the job and that's what counts I guess.

DinAlt

Oh I almost forgot the supplied power lead for the cigarette lighter is too short and too tightly coiled - it actually tries to pull the whole unit sideways - I have mine wrapped around part of the body work so the tension is on the car not the pda - I've got a set of power cables waiting for the release of the hard wire cable personally....
samriley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe the vent clips really need to go back to the drawing board. so far has anyone been about to fit the vent clip well, it doesnt fit in my corsa, in a ford its a very tight fit, even when on it seems to rattle around a bit, and i wouldnt say very sturdy looking.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vent clips are truely terrible - I've had an arkon mount for the past 14 months and the vent fitting is very good - seidio take note - at the moment I've gone back to the windscreen.
Skawrpion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can say this, if you mount any type of unit to your car's vent you can bet for sure that when you do remove it the vent will be destroyed it will be always loose and pointing down cause by the stress from having the mount hanging from it i have experienced this first hand.
I am surprised that there is still no review of this mount in this site, seidio is not my next choice for any type of product in the near future.
This unit seems to be pricey, buggy, and made of very poor quality Crying or Very sad . I have cancelled my order and will be looking next at the brodit mount.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seidio GPS2500 mount - GREY

The Seidio site still says that GREY will be available end Feb (still says that as of about 2 mins ago) - I have queried this with Seidio and asked when it will be available. They have replied (within 24 hours) and said they are unable to say on what date the GREY colour will be available but just to keep checking the site from time to time. But judging from the rather poor comments made so far about these mounts I am beginning to wonder if I should bother. Can anyone suggest an alternative - my particular problem is that I need to use my Ipaq/TTN2 in a truck and the speaker on my 2210 is just not upto the job - i.e. I can't hear the instructions over a 480hp engine!!!!!

Tom
Skawrpion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to make your own speaker, and plug the cable onto the 2210.
samriley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recieved the new cable from seidio for my mount to replace the broken lead it was supplied with, this new one doesnt rattle Smile. service was pretty good, they didnt ask for the lead to be sent back or anything, and they sent it out pretty quick.

tom9851: you could wire it to the radio mute on the back of your radio, this way the radio will be muted when you get voice commands from tomtom (like you get with in-car phone handsfree kits), and they will be played through the truck speakers. they should be loud enough.
AlunS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

well, after giving up on the vent mounts (useless), and 8" gooseneck (too "bouncy"), I got myself a Smartclip mount from Handnav (no problems, except for the outrageous P&P to Ireland)..

It fits OK, over the central vents in my '00 Primera, but not in exactly the position shown in the accompanying leaflet. It obscures the two heater controls in between the two central vents, instead of being just to the right as shown. I can live with this as I hardly ever adjust those two controls anyway.

Soooo, how to attach the Seidio mount to the Smartclip? Easy ... butcher the useless bit of plastic that goes under the guise of a vent mount by removing the two hooks that go over the vent slats (they just slide out) and remove both the little rest thingy and it's two mounting posts with a pair of pliers and tidy up with a file. Then, use the slot left by the two vent slat hooks to bolt the vent mount plate to the clip. Short 4mm flat head bolts and locking washers, courtesy of B&Q, do the job nicely. The swivel mount attaches to this, but is a bit of a loose fit, and droops a bit, so two layers of double sided sticky tape, just underneath the bottom edge of the swivel mount keeps everythings ecure and stops it rattling.

I haven't test driven it yet, but it appears to be a lot more sturdy than any other solution I've tried so far. Here's some piccies ...

emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seido now say 5500/5400 models out in 'early April', but with improved sound quality. Quote 'We have overcome some difficult technical issues. It will be worth waiting for'

Malcolm
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mount doesn't seem to be charging my Fortuna Clip On. Although the orange charge light seems to be on, it doesn't seem to charge it and the battery just runs down.

I have used a volt meter and it measures 4.8V across the cable contacts although I have been unable to measure the V under load due to the shape of the plugs.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with charging from the G2500?

Matt
handnav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

If anyone is interested in Seidio G2500 (Silver) Mount, please visit the following link for more information or to buy.

http://www.handnav.co.uk/quick_search.php?brand=Seidio

Regards
Chetan
Clarkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a bit cheeky advertising your business in the forums like this Evil or Very Mad

Anyone want the Seido mount a little cheaper try here

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/accessories_detail.php?product_id=508&category_id=&accessory_id=1082

Or check some of the sites of other advertisers to see what they can offer. Oh, and don't forget to check the retailers to buy from/avoid forum.[/url]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: