Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA Backlight Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA Backlight Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pagemakers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: PDA Backlight Question Reply with quote

I have just purchased Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS. I am still exploring all its features as I type and have yet to go driving with it.

One thing I have noticed is the backlight of my PDA (Ipaq 4150) keeps turning off every x seconds (as set by the devices battery power management). I would have thought this software would force the backlight to remain on (as the media player software does for example), even on battery power. Is this not the case?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom can tell the PDA not to shut down after x minutes, but it cannot influence the backlight. That is done in the PocketPC settings itself. If the backlight switches off this normally means your iPAQ is running on battery power. When connected to a DC source you can leave teh backlight on all the time. (make sure the checkbox is unchecked there).

Again - TomTom can influence the power off, but not the backlight.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pagemakers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame. Media player leaves the backlight on when playing videos......
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some call it shame some call it saving energy 8)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
agibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a perfect world I'd rather TT had options to force the backlight to stay on, and more importantly to be able to turn it down in 'night mode' - I've never seen the point of changing the colours when the backlight (rather 'sidelight') is still on full! Given that the turn off time is also in the PPC settings but CAN be affected by TT this does not sound like a big difference!

But I live in a state of comfortable ignorance about the inner workings of any of this stuff...
Pagemakers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my PDA and TT connecting by Bluetooth and my PDA running on batteries I am very surprised to find that there is not a option in TT settings for "Keep Backlight On".

It a pain to have to go to settings/backlight/etc, only to return them to normal when not navigating in the car.

If I play a video media file using media player the screen stays on without my intervention, so it obviously can be done.

If you think about it what's the point in TT letting the backlight turn off.....you can't navigate with a dark screen - it needs to be on to work.

Such a small point but a major bug in my opinion.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on external power in-car why not just set the backlight to stay on when on power?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Automatic Reply with quote

How about setting to automatic so its brightness is determined by the ambient light level?
agibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO:

1) On my desk when the power is left on to my PDA I like the backlight to turn off after a while (I'm normally not looking at it, and don't want to wear out the bulb!) In the car I'd like it to stay on so that I don't have to prod it back on at a crucial moment of unclear directions/oncoming safety camera or whatever. I'd rather this was automatic by TT so that I don't have to ferret into the menus to change the settings back and forth (exactly the same argument as TT overriding the automatic power off settings, which you could also have done yourself)

2) For the night time dimming, the automatic brightness on my PDA (Loox) does not solve the problem as in the dark it turns the backlight on full! Arguably this is a fault with the loox algorithmn, but hey - if TT could do this on it's night settings that would be easier!

Maybe in TT 3?
murphwiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to see...

Select night mode...
Backlight goes off after 5 secs...
When a voice instruction comes up or a flagged poi, the backlight comes back on until poi is passed or turn etc is complete...
To me that seems fairly simple in the granc scheme of programming sat nav software!

I hate having the backlight on all the time at night..
I drive a saab with night mode, so all un needed lighting is off, only coming on when the car feels you need to know! Thumbs Up
Pagemakers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If you're on external power in-car why not just set the backlight to stay on when on power?

I am on battery power only. It's just a nuisance when navigating to go into the PDA's settings/backlight etc just to keep the backlight on. Then when you have finished driving, you must return to settings to reset the backlight option.

I guess I'm just lazy :|
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Power Reply with quote

You really should be running on power from your car. Why aren't you, it would make your backlight problems go away?
Pagemakers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You really should be running on power from your car. Why aren't you, it would make your backlight problems go away?

Because it makes the whole idea of a wire free, portable system (Bluetooth version) redundant.

I want to get into my car, turn on and go without having to mess around with cables and PDA settings.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand you're dislike of wires. I use a Brodit powered mount in-car, it has no visible wires and looks like an OEM cellphone cradle.

All I have to do is drop it into the cradle and switch on the BT GPS, no more than you have to do, no wires to offend the eye and I can rest assured that my PDA is always charged ready for use out of the car. I also then don't have the backlight issues that niggle you. You're in a very small minority in not wishing to use 12v power in-car and as such I see little hope of TomTom catering for such use Sad
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Car cables? Reply with quote

Does the brodit unit have an audio out connector built in?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: