Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i2 review- wow!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i2 review- wow!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davey_n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Garmin i2 review- wow! Reply with quote

Getting to grips with the i2 I was bought for Christmas - the Mrs. got it from Amazon for about £90 I think.......

I have read a few moans about the way these units work in some areas of Cornwall etc and hope I don't get similar problems in remote areas, but all I can say to sum up this unit so far is BRILLIANT!!!!
Given the price and size of the unit (it's tiny given what it does) I'm amazed at what you get for the money - the quality of maps and directions is excellent and the unit has been a godsend when finding new addresses in unfamiliar areas.
I have updated the firmware and loaded the speed camera pois - some of these seem a little out of date - speed camera warnings on the M6 near Lancaster where there were roadworks a couple of months ago, some cameras on A6 not registering even though they have been in action for over a year.
However these are not faults of the i2. Some mates have tom tom 1 units - they can have Ozzy Osbourne reading the directions but what would you need that for? Colour widescreen? no need if you only glance at the screen for a split second at a time. The more I use the unit (eg 'review turns' menu found yesterday - good to have a look at before setting off if complex motorway junctions used) the more I like it.

Anyone thinking about getting a sat nav could do a lot worse than get an i2. Ten years ago this was the stuff of James Bond - now available for less than £100! :D

Anyone know anything about future updates to speed camera pois?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey_n where did you download the camera database from? - if its from this site please try THIS Link and can you see the download page?

If not it is because you need to subscribe to the site for upto date camera POI files, £2 per month or £19 per year. Please see HERE for further details.

I am surprised you consider the area mentioned out of date, as I drive around that location very often and seldom find a problem - so long as the files are up to date, which I suspect your files are not.

For value for money the device you have is a great device, OK it can't do some of the more custom options that the higher priced devices can, but its a great way to start, and it will get you from A to B without much fuss - Mike
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give him a couple of months and he'll want a touch screen... Laughing
davey_n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded from Pocket GPS world - thought it was the most up to date version on the site.....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the cameras that didn't issue a warning were due to your speed being below that of the camera (the Garmin will only alert when at or above the rated speed of the camera you are approaching).
In the case of the M6 the camera alerts were possibly due to known mobile locations which are active on a frequent basis. The cameras through the road works were removed some time ago, which database have you installed to the unit?
Single file version, consolodated by type or Speed Zoned - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be a release some time next week, they tend to be every 10-14 days.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: