Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom new map, good deal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom new map, good deal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiot53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, here's an update on "the missing rivers". (see earlier post)
I've installed a 2gb SD card with the new Western European maps and also added my Earlier Rider GB map and they both work fine. I have the latest roads on the latest map and I can switch to the older map if I need to see where the rivers are. Great!
Here's a strange one.... The reason I bought the latest Euro map was because I couldn't activate the earlier TeleAtlas maps of Europe (see earlier post). But, I've installed them on the new 2gb card and they now work without any activation. The Teleatlas maps have more detail and definitely more POIs, especially Hotels which is better when I'm abroad.
I'm still a bit miffed about the missing map of The Canaries (not that I'll ever use them, it's a bit difficult to get there on a bike). If TomTom are still claiming on their website that it's included in the download then they should honour that (or maybe give me a 100% discount)
Merry Christmas 8O
adlstewart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Anyone had any luck downloading maps recently? Reply with quote

I ordered the WE maps on Thursday. Cannot access the link (http://plus.tomtom.com/...) always get a timeout when I click on the download maps link from the plus website. This has been a constant problem since Thursday.

Anyone got any advice?

(before anyone suggests I check my internet connection, etc., I can browse other sites; download files - even downloaded TomTom home).
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the TT UK Map deal, and am pleased I did. The map hadn't changed on my GO since I originally got it (map v3xx) so I expected quite an update!

What I wasn't expecting was the brand new (opened only this week!) Headington/Green Road roundabout in Oxford to be accurate and up-to-date. However, it is - which suggests to me that TomTom/TeleAtlas incorporated upcoming works when designing this map release
So... so far.. I think TT's deal is pretty reasonable.

Just over 32 quid - good if, like me, you've not updated your map since buying your original GO.

Nice to see TomTom Home software working properly (ie: not crashing every 2 minutes) on an Apple Mac as well!

Regards,

Ashley
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for being so TOTALLY thick --- age thing --- I have downloaded tom-tom Home -- with trepidation -- as I did not realise that it was a front end program that sat on my desk top and did all the work etc... Phew!!

Installed and up and running...
At the moment I am using it to do a "full back-up" of my 1 g card.... I presume that will be stored somewhere??

Previously I just copied in to a folder on my desk top.. each month -- then just kept the last three months..

OK enough ramblings....

The new maps of Western Europe -- sounds interesting... ready to down load them --- errr -- what do I do ?? use TTHOME??

and then how do I get them onto my card?

What happens to all of my Poi's and addresses??

What about activation codes etc..

sorry for being a thicko -- but I don't want to b**gr any thing up..

We NEED this TT...

Help please slowly and in single silables... thanks guys
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you NEED your TomTom, I would use Home with caution.
Although there must be loads of people who use it with no problems, we certainly get a lot of people posting here who, for whatever reason, have ended up with corrupted software or SD cards and incomplete backups. For example, it seems the "complete backup" via Home does not back up the real voice files from a 910.

If you are confident with making your own backups by copy and paste, I'd certainly carry on doing it like that. At least you will know where your backups have ended up!

Installing new maps and software without using Home IS possible, but they don't like you doing it and have made it as hard as possible. Evil or Very Mad
Instructions are here on the forum if you care to look.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
The new maps of Western Europe -- sounds interesting... ready to down load them --- errr -- what do I do ?? use TTHOME??
and then how do I get them onto my card?
What happens to all of my Poi's and addresses??
What about activation codes etc..

I used TomTom Home. I downloaded Western Europe to my TT GO700. It took 20 minutes on 8GB Broadband to land on my computer. Installation clicked in TT Home was another 10 minutes. New Technology magic - No activation codes or anything, just sat and waited with satnav power and USB connected. NOTE - BEWARE of running down the battery during download/installation; some folk ran out of power and suffered a dead machine!!
(I did two backups first - one using TT Home and the second using drag and drop with Windows Explorer - they both took a while, but I didn't note how long). I had no trouble at all, but judging from other posts, that may be due to the speed of my broadband and the high spec of my computer (I'm also handsome, which may have done it).

The WE map download is nearly 1GB and that has to eventually go on your SD card. With my GO700 hard disk, the OLD map was NOT deleted during the install. That meant I still had all my favourites etc, which could be copied from old map directory to new using Explorer (thanks to Andy for helping me out at the time with that incidentally).

If you wish to attempt the same, I'd recommend you to get ANOTHER SD card, this time 2GB, and copy (drag and drop from the copy on your computer HD) present stuff to it, then do the download and installation to the new bigger card. I would expect that doing it only with your existing 1Gb card could give you a headache (you'd have to delete your old map first).

Oh, and today I found my very first new bit of road map in the 3,000 miles I've driven since I got it. :D

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys -- I am taking it very slowly...

Just made a backup -- drag and drop -- into a folder on my desk top -- as I do each month...

Noticed that the size has gone up from 561MB to 566MB since changing to HOME -- and the update from v5.1 to v6.520

I do think I will get a new 2GB card first -good idea -- and do the installation on to that and if it works Yippee fine -- but if id don't I can just put my old card back in... that sound like logic?

Next thing is to get the SD card --- any preferences that can guide me as to the best one --- I do remember when the 2GB cards came out there was some discussion in here as to what make to get -- speed -- compatibility etc...

I am being cautious -- and taking it slowly -- there is no need to speed at my age... Embarassed

Maurice
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fibre Embarassed sounds like I'm on a diet :D
I made a backup of my present card ,then in the card reader nuked off the GB maps This gave my 1gb card the room to put on the Map of Western Europe. If it goes belly up just format the card in the card reader and drag and drop the old backup into the formatted card from your desktop.
best of luck dunk
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: wrong date's! Reply with quote

Is it me but the posting date's are a day out in the forum!
It's the 14th today but my posting is on the 15th Friday which is tomorrow!
dunk
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Dunk its deffo showing the 14th in your post!! :D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: wrong date's! Reply with quote

dunk wrote:
Is it me but the posting date's are a day out in the forum!
It's the 14th today but my posting is on the 15th Friday which is tomorrow!
dunk
It's you alright - Kent is one day ahead in another time zone! Thumbs Up

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SaladDodger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the UK & Eire maps lastnight, just managed to sort my tomtom out and noticed a couple of my voices won't work.

Surely I don't need to copy the voice folder into the new map folder? Wink
SaladDodger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaladDodger wrote:
I got the UK & Eire maps lastnight, just managed to sort my tomtom out and noticed a couple of my voices won't work.

Surely I don't need to copy the voice folder into the new map folder? Wink

Bah..sorted it..i'm just a donut.. :D
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN
I am still looking at the 15th in my last two postings, If this Kent time zone persists we could make a fortune on the next Folkestone Race meet
dunk
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunk wrote:
I am still looking at the 15th in my last two postings,
Is the Date correct on your PC?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: