Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free upgrade to TT V6.01?!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free upgrade to TT V6.01?!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my reply from TT

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

In relation to your question, yes the V6.6 maps will be compatibile with your Navigator 5 Software. As for the upgrade from 5 to 6, this is unfortuantely not compatibile with your HP HX4700 device, therefore, you would not be able to upgrade.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Well i have my answer,either a new Ipaq off santa or keep on running 5 with 6.6 maps, some great advice on this site, thanks all
getsurfers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which begs the question, is the SW update device specific, unlike the DVD version?

Or is this simply a validation check, based on an inaccurate/incomplete compatability list.

I suspect it's device specific, hence the huge discount compared to the DVD version.

Past upgrades, well it was an option on v5, the download and physical (cd) copy wre pretty much evenly priced, with a very marginal price bloat to cover the cost of the CD, manuals and packaging. P&P was obv extra. the discount was also nearer 50% full RRP.

So my beef with this upgrade program this year is why has this not been done this time round? Why no discount on the physical copy????
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... that's interesting about Navigator 5 running Navigator 6 maps - but being rather cynical I've had a dig around myself, and it does seem you can buy updated (v6.6) Navigator 5 maps - but you can't run Navigator 6 maps on Navigator 5 software. On the TomTom support pages, I found this:
Quote:
Q: I currently own NAVIGATOR 5/MOBILE 5. Can I buy the newest maps?
A: If you currently own NAVIGATOR 5 / MOBILE 5 you can get the newest maps. If you own a device which is compatible with NAVIGATOR 6, the latest application for mobile phones, you will also get NAVIGATOR 6. Note that only new maps (version 6.6) can be used with NAVIGATOR 6.
If your device is not compatible with NAVIGATOR 6 you will still be able to buy the newest maps. The maps will work with NAVIGATOR 5/MOBILE 5.

If you follow the links to the TomTom shop, and select a 'supported' device, you get this message:
Quote:
"Remark: With a map download, the new NAVIGATOR 6 software will be automatically installed to your device. Any maps currently on your device will not function with this new software."

If you select 'other device' and choose a map, it says:
Quote:
Which map would you like? Map of Western Europe (NAV 5/MOB 5)

Then, it goes on to say:
Quote:
Your selection:
Map of Western Europe NAV5 v6.6

Now, that looks to me like Navigator 5 can't read Navigator 6 maps, and you are purchasing an updated Navigator 5 map that probably won't work with Navigator 6. Hope that all makes sense!
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: New UK maps & TT6 problems Reply with quote

I too have now purchased the map upgrade UK and IE and major roads WE including free TT6. Also re-installed the safety cameras.

I did have problems with registering that TT fixed but the Device Code on the Internet and the one on my device are different. That means I can't get to voices etc. to buy when I connect to TT Plus.

Big problem is I no longer get any sound on my iMATE JAMin from TT?? All sounds work other programs OK. HELP please!!

Also does anyone know how I can get all the locations back that I had on TT5? I had about 100+ and do have a backup but is there anyway to transfer them to TT6 and the new maps? HELP please!!
Rikaline GPS Receiver
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on TT site last night, I don't think it was there previously:

Copy the TT5 Great -Britain_map.cfg file from your memory card to your PC and rename it mapsettings.cfg Note: You do need to do this on a PC because in the mobile device you can't change the 3 letter suffix

Copy Friends.ov2 & Friends.bmp from memory card to your PC

All you do then is copy them back to the memory card containing the TT6 version placing them in the xxxx_xxx_Plus-Map folder.

It does work because I did it last night :D
Rikaline GPS Receiver
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot this bit, TT Support actually mananged to fix all the problems I had re device codes, no sound etc. very quickly. Excellent service. 8)
Rikaline GPS Receiver
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good solution - thanks for sharing it. As I'm sure you've noticed, the file explorer on the PPC is next to useless - get yourself Resco Explorer and you'll be able to work with the file extensions on your PPC in a similar way to your PC explorer. You also get a registry editor and zip in the package.
carvalholima
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Free upgrade to TT V6.01?!? Reply with quote

I cant find the link to do the download from tomtom. can you help me?
thank you very much

garyf wrote:
Hi,

I just updated the ROM on my iPaq, requiring me to reinstall TT5.0.... Following the install, I connected to wifi, and confugured my TT Plus account settings so I could apply the update to 5.21. When I selected "Download Extras / Download Updates" - TT connected successfully and displayed the following:

TomTom Services.
A new version (6.01) is available free of charge. Please visit www.tomtom.com for details about this update and how it can be installed on your device.

Fantastic, I thought! Laughing So I called TT support to ask for my upgrade. Firstly refruted the existence of the message, then they got increasingly irate, blaming the message on a web server fault, then a problem within TT5 upgrade code!

Needless to say, I will not be paying for anymore software from TomTom when Navigon6 (with free TMC) is just around the corner!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: