Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 710 road speeds - please tell me you can turn them off!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

710 road speeds - please tell me you can turn them off!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Remember, for Gatsos, getting flashed is not the same as getting caught. They only use the TWO photos and the road markings to work out your actual speed.

If you are saying that they only use the photos and measurements to determine your speed then you are wrong.

The Gatso uses a RADAR as a primary device to measure your speed and the two photos and lines on the road are used as secondary confirmation of the speed measurement (as required by law).

The operator will review the photos and if the distance travelled looks roughly correct for that range of speeds then a NIP is issued. If the number of lines passed doesn't tally with the speed reported by RADAR then no NIP.

Isn't that what I said? If not, it is certainly what I meant. I'm quite aware that the Gatso uses radar to measure your speed. However, as you yourself say, if the visual evidence provided by the two photographs is not correct or is missing, then no prosecution can continue.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I must have misunderstood Embarassed

You wrote "They only use the TWO photos and the road markings to work out your actual speed." (quoted out of context, I know) which I took to mean that you were saying that the sole mechanism for measuring speed was the two photos.

Re-reading what you wrote, I see that it could be taken to mean that the photos/lines were used to verify your speed and I have probably read it the wrong way.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my "only" is the culprit....

Shall we agree to agree? Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Shall we agree to agree? Laughing

Sounds fine by me. Laughing
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want to do is turn OFF or have the option to turn it OFF or ON the speed warning feature... is that beyond the wit of a simple program change.. (10 mins by a programmer)

We seem to be drifting OFF topic and going down the well worn path of speed accuracy again... Embarassed

PLEASE TOM-TOM ALLOW ME TO TURN OFF THIS UNWANTED (BY ME) FEATURE

Simple
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
All I want to do is turn OFF or have the option to turn it OFF or ON the speed warning feature... is that beyond the wit of a simple program change.. (10 mins by a programmer)

In another thread on the same subject I asked the same question. Seemed to me it would be easy enough for somebody who can hack into the TT program. But then, I'm old and simple. I think it needs somebody clever and I thought there would be such a somebody on this forum. I live in continuing hope.

In the meantime I've done a "contact us" to Tom Tom to ask them for it. But I fancy I have more hope here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pauljulian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question from an Aussie who just bought a 910 (replacing a Nuvi !):

Is the speed limit of the road known only if it's been programmed into the maps in the first place ? I know Sensis here in Oz do our maps, which are the latest version - but haven't seen the limit/overlimit display....

And one quick off-topic thing - if i'm running 6.522 software, is that definitely TT Nav 6 software ? Just checking, cause it's got a coupla things missing that I thought 6 was meant to have.

Paul.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljulian wrote:
A question from an Aussie who just bought a 910 (replacing a Nuvi !):
I've answered your other Post HERE.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Fibre wrote:

~~~~~
In the meantime I've done a "contact us" to Tom Tom to ask them for it. But I fancy I have more hope here.

Did you get any response??
I don't suppose so... and wont hold my breath..

Most companies try to give the "customer" what it wants....

I am finding increasingly that from being a simple "get you from place to place" navigation system -- tom-tom is taking on more and more that I (we) don't need - or want.. and when we have them -- cant turn them off...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
Did you get any response??
I don't suppose so... and wont hold my breath..

Most companies try to give the "customer" what it wants....

I am finding increasingly that from being a simple "get you from place to place" navigation system -- tom-tom is taking on more and more that I (we) don't need - or want.. and when we have them -- cant turn them off...

Yes, I got a reply. I asked two questions and this is what I got back ...
Quote:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
1. You can customise the status bar display ;

Change preference/Status bar preferences

2. This is not possible it needs to be switched manually.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer xxxxxx 24/12/2006 08.56 AM
1. I want to display my speed but NOT the speed limit and NOT the red flashing limit indicator.

2. I want my GO to switch OFF when I switch off my ignition.

... in anticipation of which I originally said "But I fancy I have more hope here". A thought has just crossed my mind. I have two GOs, 700 and 710. The 700 still switches off with ignition. I wonder if I copied the sofware across, would it still work AND switch off with the ignition?

Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN
I am still not sure if I have it correct -- do Tom Tom say that you can -- or cannot - turn of the red flashing speed indicator from the preferences menue...

If so which part??

Sorry for being a thicko..

Maurice
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can turn it off BUT you will also lose the speed readout on the screen, the limit, speed and red/ flashing are linked under change preferences/ status bar preferences then de-select the checkbox for speed.
It is a shame that the display is hard to read when flashing red (poor colour contrast, orange would be better IMHO), if it only did this when you were speeding I could live with it, sadly some roads have the speed limit incorrectly set in the map data - Mike
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Yes you can turn it off BUT you will also lose the speed readout on the screen, the limit, speed and red/ flashing are linked under change preferences/ status bar preferences then de-select the checkbox for speed.
It is a shame that the display is hard to read when flashing red (poor colour contrast, orange would be better IMHO), if it only did this when you were speeding I could live with it, sadly some roads have the speed limit incorrectly set in the map data - Mike

Thanks for that Mike -- thats what I thought as well -- having tried !!

pity that they cant bring out a mod to be able to select the speed thing if you wanted it...

Maurice
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite deplorable just how amateur the programmers are at TomTom. Leavinf aside whether the speed limit is correct. If it were, it would still be very dangerous to consult the screen to check it. Firstly as has been mentioned the superimposition of red on black is the very worst visibility colour combination that can be chosen and it is obvious that the programmer thinks that red means "danger" so we will all appreciate his warning when red on a dark background means near invisability. Secondly the actual data is flashing which means that it is turned off for 50% of the time it is supposed to be displayed and when you take your eyes momentarily off the road you only have a 50/50 chance that the digits will be there. If they are they are near invisible and if they are not they are completely invisible.

The programmer carried out his work on a computer screen and then on a sat nav unit on his desk which he could stare at continuously. What TomTom have done is produce a downright dangerous device which will encourage drivers to look away from the road for longer than is necessary to read constant light out of dark digits which might cause an accident and lead to the death of the driver. It's a discrace that a fool can do this and no one check his work and correct his gross error.

I paid good money for new maps and I foolishly updated the operating system in TomTom and they have stabbed me in the back. They care little for their customers. I subscribed to their safety camera scheme when it came out and I was forced to delete it as a useless piece of excrement and now this ineptitude is creeping into the very workings of the device. Don't the fools at TomTom ever listen to anything anyone tells them. Talk about incompetent arrogance!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
It is quite deplorable just how amateur the programmers are at TomTom.

Ooo - just a little bit harsh, Tatsfield. I'm no apologist for Tom Tom, very far from it, but I don't think it's the programmers, rather the bean counters. One (or more) of them comes up with this brilliant idea about the speed limits (and for all you and I grumble, it IS a good idea) and unfortunately gets the implementation totally wrong. It should be configurable, on or off, and it should be a decent colour, but I suppose the programmer was told how to implement it by a wannabee "Apprentice". The real problem is that a company with such a good product includes that sort of person in an influential position.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: