Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 710 road speeds - please tell me you can turn them off!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

710 road speeds - please tell me you can turn them off!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I downloaded the new map for my GO700, it didn't download any new software, so I thought I'd got away without the dreaded speed limits. I did a very small demo route (to Home, which is set just round the corner) and it didn't show speed limits so I felt hopeful. When I set off for Liverpool yesterday it didn't show any either. But sadly, when I reached the first motorway, there they were. Presumably this feature was incorporated into v6 software and only needed the map info to use it. I don't think I've got a backup as old as v5.44, so I can't try that.

I shall wait with baited breath to see how Andy gets on (I'd be very tempted to simply do a backup to 5.44, then copy my new map folder into it and see how it went). Back in the days of Windows 3.1 I used to be clever at some of these things, but since then I've had to rely on the brains of this world, like Andy. Not Worthy

I could forgive TT for this very easily - if only they'd allow us to disable the speed limit and still keep the speed showing. They really should have done this - after all, any new feature is often a bit dodgy, so having this optionally available, even though not dead good, allows for it to be improved with time into becoming a damned good selling factor. As it is, it's getting nowt but bad publicity for them.

Nevertheless, it's difficult to believe the huge number of roads map info could ever get good enough to be satisfactory on this one (but you never know - I presume PGPSW cameras were "less than perfect" when they first started up, back in the dim and distant past and look how brilliant they are today - nearly 500 mile triangle yesterday, Bristol, Liverpool, London and back, the only errors were as already reported and I know are in progress, full marks).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I shall wait with baited breath to see how Andy gets on

Sorry Dennis, Santa is bringing the naw map, and you can't rush him!
(Wonder what Satnav he uses?)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

I shall wait with baited breath to see how Andy gets on

Sorry Dennis, Santa is bringing the new map, and you can't rush him!
(Wonder what Satnav he uses?)

Probably a GO 200 with v3.xx maps!! For goodness sake keep an eye out for him posting somewhere asking for your help on to use it. Thumbs Up

mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see what the problem is here - surely you can just ignore the red bit if you want to? You are not forced to look at it (and note its vale) are you?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:
I can't see what the problem is here - surely you can just ignore the red bit if you want to? You are not forced to look at it (and note its vale) are you?

Quite right. But my main problem is I want to see the 38, not to pick it out from 38/40. Maybe me old bones and eyes is gettin past it!! 8O

bigfatgoalie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not forced to look at it but when you glance down and see it screaming red your instant reaction is *I'M SPEEDING!!!! oh.... no im not, phew!*

Its noce to see the speed limit there because it is more quickly understood and interpreted than the speed dial, plus its at a better position so you have to take your eyes of the road for less time than if you checked your speedo.

Not asking for much, just to disable the feature of red flashing, just until they get their act together and use some up to date data!

Again, just to note does anyone find inconsistencies between what tomtom says for speed and the speedo??
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfatgoalie wrote:
Again, just to note does anyone find inconsistencies between what tomtom says for speed and the speedo??

The GO speed reading is more accurate. Stands to reason - it's measuring time and distance (Oh gosh have I bought myself a car mounted Gatso!!), so it will be much better than the steam speedo, which (I understand) by law is allowed to be less than perfect and therefore is generally up to 10% fast - at 30mph indicated, you're only doing 26 or 27 or 28 (my maths isn't up to it).

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: speedos, Dennis is correct, the TomTom is very accurate, so long as you are travelling at a steady speed in a reasonably straight line (it updates quite slowly so doesn't handle sudden acceleration or braking well).

By law, normal car speedos are allowed to be upto 10% inaccurate, BUT ONLY IN ONE DIRECTION - they are not allowed to underread at all. This means that, like the old Baker's Dozen, the manufacturers almost always make them so they read between 5 and 10% fast.
bigfatgoalie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah absolutely, they dont want the grief and so calibrate them up a bit so they say you are faster than you actually are, I get ya.

My tomtom says about 66 or 67 when im going 70.

At a slight tangent what do speed cameras go off at then? 77 for a 70 limit? i.e. because manufacturers are allowed to be 10% out I would imagine a speed camera can only clock you at 78+ since anything lower, e.g. 75 you could use the possible manufaturer inaccuracy as a defence?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) website has a table which recommends that a 10%+2 mph formula is used for when action should be taken i.e. speed limit 40mph, action should be taken when 46mph is reached.Or speed limit 70mph, action should be taken when 79mph is reached.
Note it also says that 'This guidance does not and cannot replace the police officer's discretion and they may decide to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice in respect of offences committed at speeds lower than those set out in the table.'

I presume the formula has been produced to take into account possible inaccuracies in both car speedometers and the actual measuring equipment itself.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....but I don't think there is any direct correlation between that guidance and the speed the cameras are set to trigger at.
Remember, for Gatsos, getting flashed is not the same as getting caught. They only use the TWO photos and the road markings to work out your actual speed.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfatgoalie wrote:

At a slight tangent what do speed cameras go off at then? 77 for a 70 limit? i.e. because manufacturers are allowed to be 10% out I would imagine a speed camera can only clock you at 78+ since anything lower, e.g. 75 you could use the possible manufaturer inaccuracy as a defence?

No, because speedos always indicate *more* than the actual speed, up to 10% more. I dont think you could have read what someone else posted, up to 10% out but it must be *more*, never less.

So if you are clocked at 78mph, chances are your speedo was reading 80mph or more, so that wont work as a defence "Your honour, I couldnt have been doing 78, my speedo said 82!".
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
....but I don't think there is any direct correlation between that guidance and the speed the cameras are set to trigger at.

I think you will find that pretty much all cameras trigger at somewhere over the 10% plus 2 guideline. So if a motorist gets nicked doing over 36 MPH in a 30 zone then their speedo was probably reading 40 or more. That's a pretty fair cop.

Of course they COULD apply the letter of the law and nick people for 1 MPH over the speed limit but if they started handing out photos demanding £60 fines and 3 points for doing 31 MPH then people would get annoyed pretty quickly. Believe it or not, they DO care what people think and they try to be seen to enforce the law fairly.

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Remember, for Gatsos, getting flashed is not the same as getting caught. They only use the TWO photos and the road markings to work out your actual speed.

If you are saying that they only use the photos and measurements to determine your speed then you are wrong.

The Gatso uses a RADAR as a primary device to measure your speed and the two photos and lines on the road are used as secondary confirmation of the speed measurement (as required by law).

The operator will review the photos and if the distance travelled looks roughly correct for that range of speeds then a NIP is issued. If the number of lines passed doesn't tally with the speed reported by RADAR then no NIP.
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Speed Warnings Reply with quote

I hope I am wrong in thinking this but now that I have TTN6 and the latest maps on my PDA will I now get erroneous speed warnings eg 60mph in a 70 mph zone or does the problem only happen with the Tom Tom SatNavs themselves.

I get to play with the new App and software for the first time over this weekend and it would be nice to know what I can expect.......... Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Warnings Reply with quote

Rowan29a wrote:
I hope I am wrong in thinking this but now that I have TTN6 and the latest maps on my PDA will I now get erroneous speed warnings eg 60mph in a 70 mph zone or does the problem only happen with the Tom Tom SatNavs themselves.

I dunno what TTN6 does. But if you have a MAP like my TTGO700 "new" Teleatlas one, it will show speed limit of 60mph on M5 Southbound from Junction 22 to Junction 30.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: