Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom introducing a new range of satnav units in March?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom introducing a new range of satnav units in March?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapidexec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Is TomTom introducing a new range of satnav units in March? Reply with quote

Hi Im new to the forum

Two questions: I am currently searching for a satnav and have been reliably informed by Sextons that TT are releasing a new line of Satnav uints in March. Can anybody confirm this to be true? No point buying a TT Go unit just yet if this is true ...

Having sat down and determined what I need from a satnav can anybody suggest a suitable satnav unit which is or has the following:

pocket sized
TMC availability
full European mapping
speed camera database with warnings
availability of additional non-windscreen mounting brackets (ideally the satnav will be mounted on the front door or just above the gearbox - thus avoiding suction marks on windscreen)
changing of map display colours
speaker loud enough to be heard
4 hour+ battery life
ability to accept software to play movies

I have narrowed down my choice to the TT710, Garmin Nuvi 360t and snooper indago although I am forced to compromise on some of my requirements (ie Snooper not having TMC, Garmin not providing various map display colours etc).

If I was forced to buy a satnav right now then I would have to go with the TomTom Go710 however Im concerned about TomTom service and issues to do with the weak windscreen mount.

Perhaps you guys/gals might know of another satnav product that would be suitable.

I look forward to your replies!

regards

Neil
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is TomTom introducing a new range of satnav units in Mar Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Neil
rapidexec wrote:
pocket sized
You will need large pockets for the TomTom Go-x10 range, you could consider the TomTom One V3 Europe though (slimmer form factor).
rapidexec wrote:
TMC availability
TMC is available on all the TomTom products via a bluetooth connection and uses your mobile phones GPRS connection - costs are involved for mobile internet usage and the TT Traffic is a subscription service. With the x10 range you have the option of using the RDS-TMC receiver which is free to use once you have purchased it - I cannot recommend one of these though - the reception in the UK needs to be addressed.
rapidexec wrote:
full European mapping
710, 910 or One V3 will cover this need, 910 gets you USA mapping as well.
rapidexec wrote:
speed camera database with warnings
Use the Speed Cameras from this site and you can have full spoken POI warnings with configurable distance etc.
rapidexec wrote:
availability of additional non-windscreen mounting brackets (ideally the satnav will be mounted on the front door or just above the gearbox - thus avoiding suction marks on windscreen)
Difficult one - nobody has brought out a 3rd party mount yet, although a few people have made their own by taking the existing one appart.
rapidexec wrote:
changing of map display colours
Built in to the TomTom software.
rapidexec wrote:
speaker loud enough to be heard
You also have the option to couple the device to your stereo and play the sound through the speakers as loud as you like, this currently is in the form of direct wired connection. Soon to be released and made available for sale is the new Go-x10 FM Transmitter mount which will send the sound from the device to be picked up by the cars radio.
rapidexec wrote:
4 hour+ battery life
In use in the car the device should be powered up from the vehicles supply so why do you need 4+ hours on the battery?
rapidexec wrote:
ability to accept software to play movies
Again the TomTom can do this and the software is available now - I use the Makayama player on my 910.

If you really want to put movies on the unit I would suggest you look long and hard about getting a 910, you would find the 20GB hard drive quite handy for storing movies, also with this unit you get the onboard mp3 player - integrates well with the navigation/ camera warnings which use Text To Speech. Considering the 910 is now only a few pounds more than the 710 (certainly not the same differential as when they were launched) I would take a look at one.

As for new devices, if there are going to be any then they would probably be released at the Ce-BIT show in March – but that doesn’t mean they would be for sale to the public for quite some time (months) - Mike
rapidexec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

thankyou very much for your prompt reply and helpful info!

in answer to your question regarding my requirement for a satnav with 4+ hours capability: I am starting a chauffeur and executive driving service at the end of the month and for the short-term I would prefer if there was no charging lead or wiring in view on the dashboard between the satnav unit and the 12V supply when I have passengers in the vehicle. Longer term the aim is to eventually take the charging lead and run it underneath the dash between the 12V supply and the satnav unit so that the wire is always out of sight.

I hope to buy a TTGo910 sometime in the next week and a bit of searching threw up http://www.dashmount.co.uk although I expect I will have to modify (i.e. hack!) their metal bracket to get the TomTom to mount where I want it (at steering wheel height in the corner of the drivers door with a view out of the window). And if anyone reading this has fitted a TomTom into a Mercedes E-class without resorting to fixing the unit onto the windscreen I would be very interested to know how!

Once again, thanks for the help and I hope to post further questions on this forum as and when they surface.

Neil
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is brodit mount for the ttone and one v2 but the x10 is too heavy for a brodit mount

have you thought of somthing like ant mobile compact 3 with copilot or any of the other pocket pcs on the market may pocketpc are starting to conthrough with gps built in to the unit

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
rapidexec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix

no, I havent thought about buying a pocketpc, mainly because Im assuming the cost would be a lot higher than a TT/Garmin dedicated satnav unit? Thanks for the suggestion however after much market research over the weekend and annoying staff at my local Halfords store(me: "if I buy a satnav today would you give me a discount?" 17 year old spotty half (... ords?) wit: "sorry ... computer says no ...") I think I will purchase the TTOneV2, mainly due to its price, pocket-ability, bluetooth facility for TMC, its overall ease of use and availability of alternative mounting options.

I guess for now I will have to live without TomTom dvd option or Garmins travel language guide - my partner is German and a typical European who can speak three languages fluently and so she wasnt particularly taken with the Garmin language guide facility ... especially when I told her that I wouldnt need to learn German now as I could communicate to her via my satnav!! Im currently in the 'Hundhaus' for that!

Cheers,

Neil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: